Katas in Japanese

Discussion in 'Karate' started by ArthurKing, Apr 8, 2010.

1. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

I started this a way to help me learn the Japanese tems for all the moves in the Pinan Katas, but thought that peeps on MAP might find it useful (especially beginners?)
    Directions are indicated relative to N (north/facing front), S (south) etc. M stands for Mawatte=turn

Pinan Nidan (Wado Ryu)
    Shizentai musubidachi
    Yoi
    Shizen hontai

Hidari tettsui otoshiuke chudan on Mahanmi no nekoashi (facing W)
    Ayumi ashi migi junzuki chudan
    ME
    Migi gedan barai on junzukidachi
    Pull right foot back to migishizentai tettsui otoshiuke chudan
    Ayumi ashi hidarijunzuki chudan
    MN
    Hidari gedan barai on junzukidachi
    Ayumi ashi migi jodanuke
    Ayumi ashi hidari jodanuke
    Ayumi ashi migi jodanuke- KIAI!
    MSE
    Hidari gedanbarai on junzukidachi
    Ayumi ashi migi junzukichudan
    MSW
    Migi gedanbarai on junzukidach
    Ayumi ashi hidari junzukichudan
    MS
    Hidari gedan barai on junzukidach
    Ayumi ashi migi junzuki chudan
    Ayumi ashi hidari junzuki chudan
    Ayumi ashi migi junzuki chudan- KIAI!
    MNW on right foot
    Hidari mashomen no nekoashi
    Left hand over right (slowly)
    Ayumi ashi hidari yoko nukite chudan on shikodachi
    Ayumi ashi migi yoko nukite chudan on shikodachi
    MNE
    Hidari mashomen no nekoashi
    Right hand over left (slowly)
    Ayumi ashi migi yoko nukite chudan on shikodachi
    Ayumi ashi hidari yoko nukite chudan on shikodachi

Yame- shizen hontai
    Naore- shizentai musubidachi
    Rei- tachi rei

Ideally, use it in conjunction with classes/video.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiMSAs_lzY4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiMSAs_lzY4[/ame]
    What is Japanese for 'preperation' EG for tettsui at start of kata, or before yoko nukite?
    Would it be useful with translation?
    Tell me what you think, correct if necessary.
    There's more, if you want it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

movement names change from style to style, so you should specify that this is specifically for the wado pinan.

put spaces after migi and hidari, they just mean left and right (stance and technique names can also be hyphenated for ease of reading)

bear in mind that the vast majority of karate terms (although not all) are actually functional descriptions of the movements, so a lot of things might also depend on the teacher (for example a name for the tettsui at the start. it's just the first movement, it doesn't have any particular term, but different teachers might refer to the opening of the kata differently)

that said:

-dachI, not dach

-yoko nukite does not exist. that is a shuto-uke

-no term for that preparation. it's a part of the technique (Fukazawa is just doing it like that because it's a reference video)

3. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Cheers FoD, i've made some of your changes but take issue with some others
    This technique is correct, shuto (knife hand) strikes with the outside of the hand, nukite (spear hand) strikes with the fingertips. The 'yoko' is to differentiate between vertical knife hand (which appears in some of the other Pinans) and this technique in Nidan where the hand is on the (roughly) horizontal plane (palm down).
    i think you've misunderstood a little. The 'preparations' i'm referring to happens at 2 points and this is not based on the video (which i've added for reference) but from my own practice and understanding of this Kata.
    The first point is at the very start, between Shizen Hontai and dropping into Nekoashi, the left arm is pulled up above/in front of the head rather like a jodanuke and the right arm is placed across the body, fist facing downwards and then taken into tettsui and hikite movements respectively at the point of dropping into Nekoashi. My sensei makes a big thing of how this preperation must be clearly present for the Kata to be correctly performed.
    The second preperation i'm interested in is at the point towards the end when you turn into short cat stance and the right arm is placed across the body and the left is then placed on top (slowly), arm slightly bent, before dropping into Shikodachi.
    I just wondered if there were names for these very particular moves or what the Japanese for 'preperation' was?
    I realise i may not get complete consensus as i have seen stances etc referred to differently by different teachers. As long as mine is not actually wrong, and as complete as i can get it, then i will be happy.
    Thanks again for your comments.
    P.S. I too was once a long haired Jetro Tull fan.

4. Fish Of Doom

re: shuto: that's because it's a gedan shuto-uke. the name is pretty much universal among all styles

re: preparation: that is exactly what fukazawa does in the video. it's part of the basic technique and/or of specific bunkai*. and it's not a nukite.

cheers

*ex: at the beginning, actually doing (in application) a jodan uke then using the tettsui as a strike, or for the shuto use the crossing of the arms as a teisho uke, then do irimi with the shiko dachi and strike low (groin, lower thigh, etc) and/or takedown.

5. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

No, it isn't. Ohgami refers to it (the strike, not the preperation for the strike) specifically as Nukite in 'Karate Katas of Wado Ryu, although Funakoshi refers to it as 'Chudan Shuto Uke', but his Kata is very different to the Wado version- my move is clearly not that move!.
    Let's wait and see what other people say.

6. Fish Of Doom

that's because in shotokan, it IS chudan shuto-uke

rewatching the video, it does indeed seem that fukazawa does a nukite (the crossing of the arms baffles me though). considering that and the book, i retract my previous statement and leave it to one of the wado peeps to correctly identify the move.

7. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Hello,

The open hand techniques at end of the kata are usually described as Nukite however I have also heard it referred to as "Shutozuki".

I think the main point however is what the body does when doing these techniques - ie the opening of the body - the interim movement with hands - one above another - are to facilitate correct movement through seichusen.

Gary

8. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Cheers Gary, so this interim movement doesn't have a name that you know of? Does the rest of it look ok? What i'm really after is any corrections/additions to my instructions. I'm hoping to use these instructions with future students so i want them to be right! What is 'seichusen', not a term i've heard before, (nor was 'shutozuki').

9. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Hello,

Seichusen = correct centre line

Sei = Correct
    Chu = Centre
    Sen = Line

It is reference to the line of technique / movement made / followed - in an attack against an opponent, or conversely the line that needs to be defended when being attacked.

In the case of Kata, of course the opponent is imaginary, however in order for a kata to remain "Ikita" or living, the enbusen or performance line - should be followed in conjunction with correct seichusen. In other words enbusen and seichusen are one.

The movement being discussed here in Pinan Nidan is a very good example of why this should be practiced in this way imo.

As far is a name for this interim movement – I haven’t heard of one before, or at least none sticks in my mind, most of the sensei I have trained with (including the likes of Ohgami and Hakoishi) refer to it (or perform it) as a “transitionary” technique only. The problem with naming a technique (if only meaning to refer to an interim position) is that there is a danger it gets taken out of context.

Gary