Katas/Forms

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Kenpo_Iz_Active, Jul 20, 2007.

1. K3MP0

K3MP0 New Member

I don't know or your forms but maybe some of the moves aren't as useless as you think. I used to think the same of Siu Lim Tao form in Ving Tsun but with practice applications became apparent. Never have a full cup.

Respectfuly,
    K3MP0

2. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Oh yes. If you think about it hard enough and train long enough, I'm sure you will become talented enough to rationalize even the most impractical looking kata motion! Awesome!

3. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Not sure what you hope to accomplish, but bear in mind that the internet is a cruel and scathing place. I will be as objective as possible, but others may not be so nice :)

4. K3MP0

K3MP0 New Member

Haha, a joke. Seriously, forms contain the essence of a style, maybe not a literal enactment of the real move, but the essence. At least that s how it is with Ving Tsun, and I hope to learn more about Kempo soon. In Ving Tsun many moves are performed from an hourglass shaped stance that is only really for training, in combat you can use the safer side facing stance. But the form is still good practice.

5. K3MP0

K3MP0 New Member

The internet is a cruel place but we are adults I hope. I am only too glad to share our clips. It's not very professionally put together but we hope to have much better clips of the dojo soon when we have proper facilities. I am new so I don't know much but feel free to ask questions and I shall try my best to help.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DT4-Y_OEt0"]Practice Sets - YouTube[/ame]

Respectfully,

K3MP0

6. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

forms/Katas

Hi To all!
    I love practicing forms, as the Bunkai is always explained
    (for our forms, you need at least 4 students around you, ready to "attack" you, so you can see what you are doing.)
    After you are taught.
    Now, for our Black belt tests, one of the "Requirements" is to create Your own Form, and it must make Martial sense"
    Meaning, it must be of everything you know, but not a whole piece of your forms/dm's/kempos.
    The form i created for my test, was insane,( i am sure Guf wants to check it out !)
    I loved it, and i learned alot from it, like what if they attack by doing this or that, what are the hidden sweeps/takedowns/applications?
    I Believe , that every student learns from practicing their forms, but also, their DM"s, Sparring,Groundwork, and mainly practicing realisticly, not slapping in the air or on someone 1 million MPH !!!!!
    Just my opinion, hope it helps everyone here.

7. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

not bad, what's your school's "lineage"? That is, what branch of the tree did you fall off of?

8. K3MP0

K3MP0 New Member

Hi is that question directed at me David?

9. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

Nick cerio kempo, with MMA/BJJ added to it as well.

10. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Yes, K3MPO it was, I watched your video on youTube and was wondering about it...

-D

11. K3MP0

K3MP0 New Member

I don't really know much about that David, I'm new to Kempo. My previous study was Ving Tsun which is a great art but has a lot of politics about lineage so I avoided the topic with my new instructor. I am just there to better myself. Sifu has mentioned that it is Chinese Kempo. He has said the name of one of his sifu but I wasn't really too bothered so I can't recall.

The forms I've been doing are a lot more dynamic than the Ving Tsun forms I learned, but some parries are very similar. I like that they include a lot of different punches. I think Ving Tsun has many fewer techniques in the forms.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  12. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Kenpo_Iz_Active Greek Warrior-not 300

Me? anyway, Ed Parker Kenpo mixed with Aikido, Kung Fu, Tai Chi, and Shotokan (i think).

13. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

sounds liek you bounced off a few branches on your way LOL :)

14. Kenpo_Iz_Active

lol. it's all good though. nice mix of stuff, little bit a this 'n that. Sort of like a vegetable soup, except w/ martial arts. Mmm Mmm Mmm, good.

15. K3MP0

K3MP0 New Member

Kenpo Iz Active are there any video clips of your styles forms on you tube that we can see? It's great to share a tasty recipe.

I sparred in Kempo for the first time last night and it was very different from the drills in Ving Tsun. I think Kempo is more dynamic but other than that there are lots of small similarities that show the kung fu connection.

16. Kenpo_Iz_Active

well, remember, Kenpo is just, well, mixed up MA's. You'll find many similarities between Kenpo and other arts. Forms? well, i do have 2 of my own, and i plan on filming them in the near future. I could also possibly post techniques of my own.

But, my forms are fairly recent. Will take time to master, lol.

17. K3MP0

K3MP0 New Member

Do you mean that you have created your own forms?

18. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

Most of the Kenpo forms are just their self-defense techniques strung together in a pattern. So I guess making up the forms wouldn't be all that far flung.

19. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I'd just like to take this time to point out that any style that practices Katas is overdoing it.

That is all. Have a nice day.

20. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

So Judo is overdoing it too?