Katana

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by waya, Feb 24, 2002.

1. waya

waya Valued Member

I hear alot of people wondering why to train the sword since it's not carried openly. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Personally I like it because of the doubled fact that I can pick up any stick on the street and use the same technique.

Rob

2. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I like that reason as well Another reason is, if im doing a traditional form, i like the feeling of learning/doin something that so many master/grandmaster have done before me. A sort of passing it down to me kind of feeing and once you have learned it you find so many reasons that this was taught so long ago.

-chazz

3. khafra

khafra New Member

Right, Miyamoto Musashi beat his greatest rival with two bokken, basically wooden sticks. The sword forms should definitely be applicable to broom, mop handle, section of pipe, etc.
    Plus, knowing any kind of fencing, especially Japanese, just gives you so many cool points...

4. waya

waya Valued Member

The most suprising thing I ever learned was how many open hand systems are based on the movement and techniques of Kenjutsu.... Judo being one of many.

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Judo derived from Kenjutsu, could you tell us more please, as i practice Judo and never knew this :confused:

Let us also remember that Musashi was defeated by a man using a Jo while he had two katana. A weapon is only as skilled as the man who's weilding it.

6. waya

waya Valued Member

I was meaning specific stances and techniques sorry. Judo itself was derived from Jujutsu directly, but some of the stances and hand movements are the same as Kenjutsu movements and stances. I am trying to locate the article I was reading on it so I can post the source.

Rob

7. Freeform

Yeah, Kano practiced Ken jutsu as well as Ju Jitsu, so its only natural that it influenced his Judo teachings.

Aikido atemi-waza is derived directly from Ken Jutsu, so much so that whem practicing atemi I often do it with my bokken.

8. ninjabumon

ninjabumon New Member

In ancient Japan you once had what was called a Bugei. It was a series usually around 18 catagories of War. Within it were skills ranging from Jujutsu(yawara,taijutsu,etc..,) all the way to weapons training and usage of toxins and medicines.

Most of the footwork contained in the fighting and weapons training looked very similiar. It is amazing how over time true martial arts changes. Even today in Japan less than 1% of it's own people even practice real Bujutsu (Martial War) anymore. It is sad. I know cause I go there. Very few real War Arts actually exist today.

Just thinking about the facts, even though they are sad.

Country Ninja,
    Tracy Crocker

9. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Well, aside from the points already mentioned, there's also the fact that all physical endeavors from sports to dancing to MA share some common principles of movement. Practicing them helps develop balance, mobility, spatial awareness, etc. They all develop these things (and others) with different emphasis and for different purposes ... but training in any of them can help improve ones ability in other physical pursuits. Therefore, training with weapons can help your empty hand development.

Mike

10. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Here is one for ya

I do carry swords and all my weapons in the boot of my car - simply I am lazy and dont take them out!!!!!!!

Still they are there so if it was my life of theirs - no question!

SONSHU

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Well, they do, they're just a lot cruder, dirtier, and more effective.

Targeting cruise missiles for example.

There's a limited number of moves that the human body can make, and some of those are simply better than others.

You want to make sure you're not stopped and searched by the police. I wouldn't recommend taking them out if I were you, particularly things like swords.

If they're in your car and someone attacks you they're really not going to do much good, plus the fact that if you defend yourself with one of them you'll be considered the aggressor, for 'carrying' a weapon.

Of course, since I've currently got two swords in the boot of my car I can't really comment...

12. Spike

Spike New Member

"Aikido atemi-waza is derived directly from Ken Jutsu, so much so that whem practicing atemi I often do it with my bokken."

what you mean, is you hit people with sticks at every availabel opportunity

13. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

Practising Katana is also a form of meditation and developing an awareness of bojects you are wearing and holding.

Also there is the point if someone was to try to break into your house while you were practising your sword then they would meet a swift end.

Once you have learnt the basics of one weapon they basically translate to any object that you will use. Once you have mastered a weapon then figuring out how to use another one is easy.

14. Freeform

I wouldn't say so, my bokken/Jo/Tonfa skills don't translate well into nunchaku ;)

15. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

No but you should have an idea of the theory behind fighting with weapons. Utilising the extension of the body and looking at how it could be used. After getting that realisation from one weapon it is easy to find it in another.

16. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

well I can legally carry my swords in my home state.
    The funny thing is I cannot carry a double edged knife for seldefence, a sword sure go ahead. And most weapons teaching can be transfered to another skill. My sword and shield helps with my boxing and knife fighting. And it gives me more control when you know you can easily kill some one in anger.

17. officer_fujita

officer_fujita New Member

I train in kendo, but not for self-defense. I train in it for the purpose it was intended for (improving myself physically and mentally, learning more about Japanese culture, etc.)

For weapons training to be used in self-defense, I think arnis, escrima, or other Filipino-based weapons arts would be more advisable.

18. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

I train is SCA light and heavy weapons
    rattan hurts alot

buts more to just learn teh skills than anyting else for selfdefence I carry knives

19. Spike

Spike New Member

SCA?

20. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Definitley the reason I take Kendo is learning about japanese culture and the feeling it gives me...definitley has improved me mentally. I don't carry weapons around..but I always have a pen with me and when I unpacked boxes at a store I carried a box cutter.:love: