katana information

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by nunchaku8587, Sep 10, 2003.

1. nunchaku8587

nunchaku8587 Valued Member

okay, i got another one for you guys. I got promoted to a third degree black belt a few months ago and afterwards i bought a bokken and that bokken book by whatever the guy's name is (i forget) anyways, i wanna learn how to use this thing but there are NO teachers near me that know how to use a katana, and i really wanna learn. so my question is do you guys know any ways i can learn this? like good books or videos for this? any information at all is helpful, thank you

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

No, there are no good ways to learn the katana from anything other than a good instructor. There are so many subtleties when you train with a sword that you will not notice without someone more experienced pointing them out. If you train yourself, you will probably get loads of bad habits which will need to be broken before you can learn the proper technique, so in the end you will lose out.

If you can attend some full-day seminars and pick up a few techniques at each, you can make a checklist of things to correct each time, then practise those until you have therm right. After you have some basics learned, it is possible to use a book to advance your learnings, but nothing substitues a good teacher.

Perhaps you should put your location into this post so anyone in the area around you can help?

3. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

Aegis said it all.

4. chaozkingz

chaozkingz New Member

yep. agreed. you just don't get the feedback with books and videos.

5. nunchaku8587

all right, thanks guys. i live in MA, and ona my teachers said that he taught somebody that knew alot about a sword, but if it's a katana or not i'm not sure. i didn't think that it would work with books and videos, but hey, always good to try....

anyways, if anybody knows any really good instructers in MA with the katana and have some fairly good rates for private classes, post em up

6. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Well, I've got a great iaido instructor... unfortunately she's based in the West Midlands, UK, so I think it's a little out of the way for you :)

7. nunchaku8587

not if i took a train ;-) thanks anyways, anybody else know an instructer in MA? or even better, somebody who is an instructer in MA and willing to teach private lessions one or two times a week? any info is helpful

8. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

whereabouts are you located??

9. nunchaku8587

that's not important to know any more then i'm in MA, if you know somebody or you are somebody that can teach me this that's in MA, pm me, but i'd prefer not to be anymore upfront then that i live in mass. sorry, it's nothin personal, it's just all that i'm willing to post publicly