Katana (Custom Made)

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Alexander, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Hi There,

Does anyone know where it would be possible to buy a traditionally made, custom build Japanese Katana? Are there any places in Japan itself?
    Also would anyone know what the price range would be, obvioulsy I'm assuming very high.

Many Thanks,
    Alexander

2. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Before I tell you anything at all. I would like to know what system of Japanese sword you study.

NO ONE GIVE HIM INFO UNTIL HE SHOWS HE ISNT GOING TO KILL HIMSELF NOT KNOW HOW TO USE A DARN SWORD.

And sorry if you do study a sword art but we have had to many kids wanting to play samurai jack.

3. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Why this censorship of information that he could find on his own online?
    And dont worry my list of places to buy swords from arent Japanese ones cause well I like Euro swords better:D

4. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

I study Western Fencing, so obviously a Katana is extremely differant from a Rapier in all respects. All I really wanted it for was ornamental purposes, not to be practised with until I actually know how, but I respect the fact that you don't wish to disclose the information to me - my apologies for wasting your time with that.

I may just take this opportunity to ask another question:
    What systems of Japanese sword arts are there? I'm aware of Kendo, and that many of the other Japanese arts, such as Ju Jitsu, Ninjutsu, and even Karate do incorporate some Sword Styles, but I've never encountered another art solely geared toward the use of the sword. Are there any others?

5. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

*looks around for JediMaserChris*

*doesnt see him*

Well from what I ve been told there is kenjutsu iaido and battojutsu.

I thought that you wanted as word just to be pretty on your wall.
    So um maybe some one who actualyl knows where to buy custom katanas will tell you. But from what i rember its very very very hard to get a katana out of Japan even if yuo bought it yourself. They dont like such things leaving the country.

Just my two bits

6. khafra

khafra New Member

There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of different Japanese sword arts. "Kenjutsu" is a blanket term, much like "Fencing" covers foil, epee, sabre, and anything else long, pointy, and european.
    Katori ryu is the first one that comes to mind.

For a functional katana, the first name that comes to mind is Paul Chen. For a functional, un-pretty, custom made katana, the first name is Badger Blades. Both have websites.

I've never even looked at the pretty and functional higher end of the price spectrum, though.