Kashima shinto ryu demonstration

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by max Chouinard, Feb 4, 2008.

1. max Chouinard

max Chouinard Valued Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  2. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

The video also features Kashima Shinryu, Muhi Muteki Ryu Bojutsu, Katori Shinto Ryu, and Seki Ryu Hojutsu (I believe), it was taken last year at the annual event at Kashima Jingu.

Perhaps this would be better placed in the Koryu forum?

Regards.

3. max Chouinard

I didn't knew about that school of bojutsu. Any info on it?

Anyway if you want to place it in the koryu section, I'm okay with that.

4. fifthchamber

The school is based in Mito and is trained along with Iga Ryuha Katsushin Ryu Jujutsu for the most part..It has been passed down in Mito Han since the Edo period..The legend of the school names Sasaki Tessai Norihisa as the founder, who used what he learnt in the battle of Sekigahara (When his spear broke apparently) to create techniques for a shorter staff..

They use a Bo of 5 shaku 5 sun length, and although closer to a Jo length they still use the name "bojutsu" to describe what they do..A very good school with a lot of fast heavy strikes against bokken, and the Jujutsu is among some of the best I have seen at demos here..Great stuff, and done with a great amount of spirit.

My girlfriend lives in Mito, and I've asked her about it...But she has never heard of it..Not suprising..If you want more info check Koryu.com or buy the Budokan Video perhaps..

Regards..

(Steve?Any chance we could get this moved mate?..Ta!).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  5. fifthchamber

Just checked the www.koryu.com site and they don't have the school listed yet...Sorry about making a bad suggestion with that one..

There's still the video!

6. max Chouinard

That's mainly why I asked, koryu was the first place I checked ;).

Evrey reference about this school I found so far seems to call it jojutsu though (not a big thing since they pretty much were used to denote most long sticks): [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_vp9_N_tZw"]Muhi Muteki Ryu Jojutsu - YouTube[/ame]

7. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Thread moved. :)

8. Kogusoku

BTW, it's Muhi Muteki-ryu jojutsu (無比無敵流杖術). Eventhough the ryuha's prescribed weapon is almost as long as a rokushakubo, they refer to it as a jo. The ryuha is a member of both the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai and Nihon Kobudo Kyokai.

Iga ryuha Katsushin-ryu jujutsu (伊我流派勝新流柔術 ) is a great counterpart to their weapons training. Both disciplines are taught in Ibaraki prefecture by Nemoto soke The jujutsu is very nice. I have had a member perform some techniques on me during an embutaikai intermission as we were having a smoke break. The person in the video (Which Ben filmed :) )above that Max has posted was the person who demonstrated the techniques on me. If I remember correctly, Ben and Mekugi were present.

The use of a headbutt follwed by kotegaeshi in one of their kata was rather devastating and a useful tactic.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  9. max Chouinard

Do you know if the huge tsuba on their bokken also prescribed on their shinken or is it only to protect them from jo strikes?

10. Kogusoku

It's just for their bokuto so that they don't break each other's knuckles during kata-geiko.

They sometimes use iaito or shinken in their jujutsu kata-geiko and embu. That weapon has just normal koshirae.

11. fifthchamber

Hey Steve,

My bad on the name、not entirely sure what the hell I meant with that....Damned old age..

Talking of which, that WAS me took that footage eh?I'd forgotten that...I think my shoulders still hurt from taking it actually..And yeah, I remember the chat with the teacher after the demo too, lot's of good stuff to cover in that school and the Jujutsu is always worthy of a close watch at Meiji too..Cool stuff!

As a short aside, when are you heading back these ways?Sometime in March I seem to remember you saying, but I wasn't sure..Want to make sure I get stuff into place so we can work on it when you get here...Lot's of good stuff to cover I reckon..

All the best Bruv and thanks for moving the thread!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  12. Kogusoku

Ben,

Good to hear from you bud.

The possibility of mid-April for about six weeks stay is looking highly possible, with another one for August (Kyoto is a good prospect by the looks of things, followed a possible visit to Kyushu.)

Can't wait for keiko.