Karate wisdom from Yoshimi Inoue

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Fish Of Doom, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

http://www.karatebyjesse.com/42-secrets-of-inoue-yoshimi-kata-coach/

for those who don't know, inoue is basically one of, if not the most well known ****o-ryu sensei alive today, and is one of the rare people who successfully balance competition and non-competition karate (if you watch him move, and there is plenty of footage of him, he is CLEARLY not a sport guy himself, but he has still managed to produce some of the most dominant kata athletes in modern karate).

2. hext

hext Valued Member

good read! Thanks!

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

"Kata athlete"

:p

Attached Files:

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Seriously though, nice article. Thanks for sharing :)

Edit

Number 10 - "Don't lift your knee for kicking."

No.

Just... no.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Am I allowed to disagree with the first point made?
    Open your mouth?
    Recipe for a busted jaw surely?
    I prefer the maxim "Chin down, hands up, clench your jaw and don't fall over". :)

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

No.1 :bang:
    No.5 :bang:
    No.7 :bang:
    No.14 :bang:
    No.42 :bang:

7. John Titchen

Oh and

No.5 :eek::bang::bang::bang::bang:

8. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I think he just meant for kata.

9. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Kata is practise for fighting, no?

10. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

No

Fighting is practicing for fighting, Kata is practicing for kata. One is using attacks on a resisting opponent, and the other is a series of techniques and body positions done one after the other in succession. You might as well say painting by numbers is practice for surgery.

11. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Points 2 and 27 contradict each other.

12. John Titchen

No.

13. robin101

admittedly an exaggeration, but I still dont think of kata as practice for fighting.

14. John Titchen

That depends on the person and their knowledge of the kata. It's one form of solo support practice just like shadow boxing and bagwork are forms of solo support practice. It's often training precisely the movements and postures required.

15. robin101

It most certainly is ALL of those things, and you should know. But I think what I meant to say and stumbled upon was that Kata is not practice for fighting, it is a practice that can benefit your fighting. I think of Scenario training, full contact sparring and pressure testing, and of course actually getting in fights as practice for fighting.

Im not impugning Kata by the way, they take skill, focus, and for some of them alot of physical fitness, all good things for fighting, but not practice of fighting itself.

16. John Titchen

I understand what you mean, but from my perspective you get good a fighting by practicing the right stuff. If you only do the things you mention above you end up with sloppier less effective technique (and a less effective physical platform). Slow correct training is underated practice for fighting. Ying yang - the effective person has both.

17. Fish Of Doom

you would have a fit if you saw me kick. unless it's a roundhouse, my foot goes more or less in a straight line to where i want to hit (or that's the idea, anyway, spacetime and neurons willing)

18. John Titchen

I'm not sure VZ has understood what Inoue is getting at here.

19. Fish Of Doom

also i knew this would get some fun reactions :D i'll ask jesse later, but i very much doubt "open your mouth" refers to literally gaping when you fight (and yeah, i'm pretty sure it's more for the kata competitors, who basically look for sheer speed above most other things. it's worth noting that inoue's later trainees, such as rika usami, do things like added extraneous movement, that he himself doesn't do when demonstrating general things, so he probably has a fairly extensive repertoire of kata competition tips and tricks).

20. Fish Of Doom

oh and on 14 i'm going to have to challenge john to a deathmatch, because a protracted shoulderblade is sound biomechanics for punching (shoulder goes to where the punch is going), whereas anything else is not :p