Karate - what do I need to know?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by OldCole, Dec 2, 2014.

1. OldCole

OldCole New Member

Hi all, I'm thinking of starting Shotokan Karate. I have not done any martial arts training before and I'm unsure of what to expect. I have no desire to knock anyone out or before a master. I'm 6'4" and 46 y/o - old enough and wise enough to know how to diffuse trouble if I need to (generally). I'm interested in Karate as a sport/relaxation/club thing. I've always been interested but I don't know what to look for in a dojo or a sensei or what questions to ask? Am I too old? Will it be too much contact? Should I look at a different form of MA? Any help would be appreciated :)

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

Check out our beginners section, you'll find answers to many of your questions there.

46 is definitely not to old and finding the right gym is as much about getting a good feel for the instructor and surroundings as anything else.

Edit. Sorry, I should have put in a link http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

You're certainly not too old , honestly the best thing you can do is turn up and have a look around , watch a class and generally get a feel for the club.
    Questions to ask yourself would be along the lines of does this look like something i'll enjoy ?
    May I ask why you've chosen Shotokan ?

4. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Welcome to MAP OldCole . I am 46 myself, and got back into Martial arts seriously 3 yrs ago. 46 is not too old, and I bet you will have a lot of fun. I hope you like it here on MAP.

5. OldCole

OldCole New Member

Thanks for the support. I have a mentor/friend (Sensei Edmond Otis) who is a very qualified instructor. He was one of my tutors while I was studying and we got to be good friends. I've always had an interest in joining a club and he suggested a couple of options in my current city (Auckland NZ). Mostly I don't want to turn up and flounder around! I can brawl but I'm not interested in fighting. Ed is one of the most 'comfortable in his own skin' people I know. While I'm not unhappy or uncomfortable with myself, I'm drawn to the meditative/self control aspects of MA.

6. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Welcome to MAP!

Edit: since this isn't an introduction thread (oops), I should probably add something substantive. I don't think I would be going too far to say that starting shotokan shouldn't be a huge shock. Different clubs will operate differently, however. The best way to find out is to give it a go. Check out the clubs four friend told you about, pick thevonevthat suits you best, and then go and train. You'll probably find that a month of training will give you a different perspective and be much more informative than the advice of strangers on the internet :).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  7. OldCole

OldCole New Member

But but but... the internet is real!! In the last two days I've become a 15th Dan Ninja Jujitsu Atheist all through posts I've read on the internet!!

Seriously though, thank all for the feedback. I know you're all right - I've just got to suck it up and go along! I'll endeavor to go to a session tonight and start seeing for myself.

8. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

The hardest part is making the first few classes. Everone wants to, but very few actually do it. Even fewer make it past 6 months. Age is really a matter of mind in most MA styles.heck I seen a 60 yr old training mma with no prior knowledge. Of course he was in decent shape to begin with.

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

You'll be fine. In my experience, middle-aged blokes make up most of the people who train in karate. Everyone will be in the same boat.

10. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Train hard, have fun, laugh at your self compliment and impliment good technique, learn to take a compliment with out it going to your head and give pointers when you can. any questions.

11. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Welcome to the MAPness, as comrade Chadderz would say. :)

12. OldCole

OldCole New Member

I went to my first Shotokan class! I summoned up the courage and (although a little late) found the place. From the outside it all looked quiet so I tried to go in quietly and just observe. That would have been all very well and good had I found the way in (school hall). Unfortunately not to be. After searching around for a good 10 minutes I found an unlocked door and quietly let myself in. Only to set the building alarm off!! It turns out that there wasn't anyone there and the cleaner (no speaky english!!) was a little agitated!
    Back to square one I guess... I'll get there (where?) wherever that is. It might be easier next time...

13. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

At least you've narrowed down your choices by spectacularly failing the Ninjutsu classes requirements....

Mitch :D

15. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I was just going to say the same thing lol

16. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Hey fellow Aucklander. If you decide to check out other arts instead of Karate I might be able to help by recommending local places, unfortunately my knowledge of the Auckland karate scene is pretty minimal. What suburb are you in?

17. OldCole

OldCole New Member

Hey Kave, I'm in Sunnyvale (cheery huh?) Henderson.

I have been away for work and not set off any more alarms so I'm not sure if that means my Martial Arts skill is improving or it's just because I haven't been there...

I'm probably a fully trained Ninja now but due to the secrecy of the art, I don't know it yet ;)

18. Kave

Kave Lunatic

There doesn't seem to be a lot of Shotokan Karate out your way. According to this website there are classes in Henderson http://www.shotokankarate.co.nz/west-auckland/. If you are looking at other types of Karate maybe Waitakere Kyokushin Karate could be worth a look: http://waitakerekarate.co.nz/.
    If I was based out in Sunnyvale I would probably end up training at Oliver MMA in Glen Eden, but it doesn't sound like that is the sort of thing you are looking for.

19. OldCole

OldCole New Member

I don't know really. I need to get fit and I'm not the unbroken young man I once was so MMA might not suit - could be good for fitness though. The biggest reason I'm looking at Shotokan is because of the influence of my friend. I have a huge amount of respect for him and have seen him in action a couple of times at his dojo. Lots of options as usual...