Karate Jutsu Kai

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Shodan_Marcus, May 16, 2015.

1. Shodan_Marcus

Shodan_Marcus Valued Member

Hi

I noticed today that there is a new dojo opening in my area in the UK which is connected to Karate Jutsu Kai. I popped in and spoke to the Sensei while he was getting it all ready before opening the dojo in a few weeks and it seems to be a derivative of Kyokushin Kai. I know that this association have clubs in Europe and are connected to Kancho Bernard Creton who formed this particular branch.

Does anyone have any experience of training with them as I am seriously considering joining the dojo when it opens, I was very impressed with what I saw, permanent matting, punch bags and makiwara on the walls (something I've not seen in a UK dojo yet!)

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

China hand art restoration/shell/ocean?

The name alone puts me off!

3. Shodan_Marcus

Maybe so, but they have been about for quite a while. I have learnt over the last 20 odd years that it's not all about the name of the club that counts.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Tread with caution.

The dojo and all the wonderful trimmings you listed have to be paid for somehow, and considering it's an unfamiliar (and therefore possibly made-up) style, you might have stumbled upon a McDojo-in-the-making.

By all means, give it a look-see when it opens. But keep your guard up.

5. Shodan_Marcus

From what I saw, it is very much a kyokushin dojo, the guy opening it seemed very open about things and knew his stuff to be fair.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Could you tell us this sensei's name?

7. Shodan_Marcus

8. Shodan_Marcus

Well, a quick update. I've been a few times (when work has permitted) and it's been very good. The instructor is a guy called Darren Brinkman, he is very knowledgeable and definitely not running a McDojo (I know, I've seen more than my fair share of them!)

So far so good as they say.

9. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

In fairness, that guy (Bernard Creton) popped up in a video I posted a while back speaking out about fraud in the martial arts. Might be a good sign.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k_7l_SrcD8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k_7l_SrcD8[/ame]

About Bernard Creton's Kyokushin background: http://www.karatejutsukai.com/tenterden/history/karate-jutsu-kai/

NB Although in the above the BC is referred to as a "genius". That alone would put me off!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  10. Shodan_Marcus

Thank you for posting that video, I was unaware of it's existence!

The most interesting thing from my point of view in that is the section about Joe Ellis, bearing in mind he set up his own "National Association" called NAKMAS quite some years ago and has quite a lot of investment for him (and family) in the martial arts. That made for some interesting viewing.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Having been involved with a Kyokushin derived style for some time I've heard Bernard Creton was/is the very definition of a hard case.

12. Shodan_Marcus

Interesting, please explain more (if you can)

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Just some stories that as an old school Kyokushin guy from back in the 70's he was someone that trained very hard, sparred very hard and gave no quarter.

14. Shodan_Marcus

Sounds good

15. Shodan_Marcus

Oh, and does this mean that the earlier suggestions put forward that this is something of a McDojo in the making are not so? It would appear the guy who set up the organisation is legitimate and the lessons are certainly what I would expect from a good school.

16. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

Funny that the founder and president refers to himself as Kancho though. I think the head of GKR uses the same title.

Kancho is a game or trick often played in Japan by young school-aged children; it is performed by clasping the hands together so the index fingers are pointing out and attempting to insert them into someone's anal region when the victim is not looking

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

18. Shodan_Marcus

Just an update (rather than starting a new thread altogether!)

I have been training at this Dojo for a little while, I am still loving it!

As this is a new Dojo opening up for this association, I am currently the only student there most nights (and my daughter is the only student in the junior class). I am loving the training, being the only student is strange (I am used to being in classes of around 10-20 when I trained before), I am getting a lot of help in altering the little differences between my techniques in Shotokan and the Kyokushin techniques taught at this dojo.

I have already started to learn the first 3 Kata - Taikyoku Sono Itchi, Ne, San (2 are very familiar, one is slightly different and a little strange). And seriously getting to grips with things.

I started this style as a novice (after being a Shotokan Shodan), and only started training as I was missing something in my life (that being martial arts training). At the time of starting the training again I was not really looking at goals, gradings etc. Now I am firmly looking forward to taking my first grading at some time and start making my way up the grades!

19. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

Shodan Marcus I am glad you are enjoying it, but being the only students in the adult and junior classes after 5 months sounds more than just strange. I'm no business (or Karate) expert, but it sounds down-right financially unsustainable after a fairly long period in operation (5 months since you first posted this thread) and I am given to wonder about the possible reason/s for the lack of students...........?

20. Shodan_Marcus

Let me clarify, the dojo didn't open for 2-3 months after the first post in this thread.

The dojo is a part of a larger organisation, the CI has just entered into an agreement with the Natiional Childrens Bureau here in the UK to deliver an 8 week anti-bullying program to school kids so that should bring in more students in the long run. As far as adult sessions go, I am sure it will grow in time.