Karate in The Filipines?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Tony, May 3, 2003.

1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Guys, if needs be, we'll remove all the links from the posts.

Don't wash your laundry in public please.

If you have time to play at Politician, you aren't training enough.

2. ketong71

ketong71 Valued Member

Kata in Karate, was: Karate in The Filipines?

Hi Machine,

Sorry for replying so late. Been really busy.

Kata is not just about grading. There lies a lot of the Fighting Techniques in Karate, especially take downs, grappling and throws. You start out with Basic Katas (in Shotokan, its the Taikyoku and Heian) to enhance the fundamentals. It just like in Boxing, where the first 3 to 6 months is geared not in sparring but developing the fundamentals (proper jabs, crosses, hooks, footwork, strengthening, etc). As you advance, you get to understand the meaning of Kata and what Bunkai-Oyo (Analysis and Application) is all about (as long as the instructor knows what he/she is talking about). The kata Jion helped me out in one nasty road rage incident back in 1996. That's another story.

I've also heard some Wing-chun instructors that if they had their way, the first 6 months of training would be geared on teaching how to punch right since a lot of students still can't get that right. But, drop-out rate would be high because of boredom.

No matter what style of Traditional or Classical Karate you join, you will learn kata. Yes, even Kyokushinkai have kata. If you think Shotokan has too much Kata, Look at ****o-ryu. They've got an Encyclopedia of Kata. BTW, Karate is not just Atemi-waza. You'd be suprised how many Martial Arts schools don't even know the fundamentals of delivering a punch or a kick and where and when to throw one.

If you like Kyokushin, Give them a call. I'm sure they'll be glad to help you out.

Regards,

Ketong71

3. 2wirin

2wirin New Member

Skyperalangyan,

IMHO, Martial Arts Planet in its entirety is a very legitimate, comprehensive, and helpful forum for those who have the genuine interest or passion for martial arts.Kudos to all the good people behind MAP.
    As I recall ....Tony was just looking for a venue for his interest in another land ...we could have simply reached out, period.
    As I recall... before Muhammad Ali , there was Cassius Clay who re-defined the art of Boxing.... his career and status was affected when he avoided getting drafted in a war he don't believe in. Never did he became a lesser man...O yeah, he was called names. Now, with due respect to Shihan Pocholo Veguillas, to whom Philippine Karate owe so much.Sweeping statement as it seems, all those who have brought the country honors in karate-do was once, or still his students.. some choose to forget. When Standards are raised and benchmarks are broken, those who can't cope falls out, change the rules, worst... picks-up dirt and throw filth. C'mon! Wash your hands and we'll go reach out to Tony! This forum is too precious to waste.

..... scene from AFV, (America's funniest Vid.) a man stands tall and a dog comes from behind and ****ed on the man's legs, then they both parted ways. The man, still the man he is ... the dog .. well.."was'nt able to finish his kata...."

4. ketong71

ketong71 Valued Member

Hi Andy,

I apologize for this. I can play nice and I always do. But, I did not start this, Daddy, they did! :p

As long as they play fair, I'll play fair.

Regards,

Ketong71

5. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi ketong71,
    thanks for acknowledging my post.

Apart from the two of you, noone else on the forum really knows what you are sparking about.

All we see is two little boys comparing the size of their genitals in the showers. Go ask the girls outside for their opinion.

I wonder what Tony thinks of Karate in the Philipines now?

6. skyfinance

skyfinance New Member

hello there. you can try checking out www.olympic.ph/iframe/kaate.html for the Philippine Karate Federation shared site. They'll help you contact an accredited organization.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2003
  7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

ROFLMAO :D

Politics - LOL!

Interesting to see that politics is rife in Filipino Karate as well as the native arts :D

8. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

Erase this Thread Please

Erase This Thread Please

9. Deadly

Deadly New Member

All i can say is that they are the pioneers in Philippine Karate since 1964. Visit their site www.aak-karate.com. I dont have to say more, records will speak louder. Good Day to everybody.