Karate in Indianapolis IN?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Noodle, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Noodle

Noodle New Member

Can anyone recommend a karate dojo in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA? I am interested in an Okinowan style, but really would like to find a good instructor so may consider other karate styles.

Thanks in advance

2. cragnacker

cragnacker New Member

Wado Karate Center

Mr. Dominic Li ~ 2nd Dan

5702 Victory Drive Indianapolis, IN 46203

I don't know this man personally, but some of his line. Check it out.

3. Chris J.

Chris J. Valued Member

Hello,
    I believe there is a branch dojo of Okinawan Kemp there under the Ryu-Te oranization (Oyata). It does not get any more effective and authentically Okinawan that that. Try going through the www.Ryushu.com web site for dojo listings and contact information.
    I myself am straight West of there in central Illinois. But it is a 1.5 hour drive. ;(

-Chris A. Johnston

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

If Alexandria's not too far away for you (40 min - 1 hour drive depending on where in Indy you are), there's a really good Okinawan Goju-Ryu instructor there named Shihan Larry Davenport, Sr. I trained with him for a couple of years in the early 90s and still stop by to visit/train when I'm in the area. He's a very good Karateka, instructor, and person.

Mike

5. karateBW

karateBW New Member

Depending on what side of town you are on, there are a couple of dojos that teach Ryukyu Kempo, Dillman style. That is where you want to be.

There is one in Mooresville, and one at 106th and College.

Check out the school listing on http://www.dillman.com for any others in and around Indy.

bw

6. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Oh yeah. Will Higginbotham is one of those. If you're close to Will, I'd recommend him, too. In fact, I'll be at his place in a couple of weeks (November 15) for a seminar he's hosting with one of my instructors, Prof. Joe Lansdale.

Mike