karate grading requirements

Discussion in 'Karate' started by samuri-man, Mar 5, 2006.

1. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

hello, i believe this would be a good reference tool, i got it from the TKD forum,thanks TKD guys, anyway, tell me the requiements for your next grading, or if you've just graded, your last one.

i'll go first shall i.
    1) What did it consist of?
    2) How difficult was it?
    3) Length?
    4) Material?
    5) Questions/Comments?
    6) additional(grade you will be or went for,special grading panell. important stuff
    that's what you need to put down.

1)theory exam and practical exam
    2)fairly difficult but i passed.
    3)5 minutes(written) they where done at different times two weeks apart, and 4 hours practical
    4)the general kihon,kata: pinin sandan, anunko,bunkai,ippon kumite,two ippon shobu fights (but it ended up one nippon shobu fight)
    5)addrenilan is a wierd think
    6) sensei patrick McCarthy 8th dan
    went for 3rd kyu
    older brother got 2nd kyu

2. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

My next grading....

1) practical exam (basics, kumite and kata)

2) i think it will be very very difficult especially the kumite line up

3) a whole day if you do it at the Bu'sen, a day if you do it at a summer or easter course but they may do bo katas during the week

4)everything in the syllabus from 10 kyu to 1st kyu, additional katas: saifa, sanchin, yantsu, bo kata ich, bo kata ne, bo kata san, and facing a line up of roughly 11 or 12 higher grades to fight (the fighting is full contact)

5) im scared!

6) i'll be going for 1st dan, my dad may do his black belt at the same time as me lol and the grading panel will consist of sensei frank perry, sensei carol david and some of the other senseis that have been around for a while

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  3. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

5.th kyu grading 25.th of March !

My next grading.....

1) All requirements for 5.th kyu (orange belt) including pinan ni kata, ushiro geri and some other strikes and blocks.

2) It might be one of the most difficult gradings from all the ones I've done so far because the grading is harder and stricter and at the last grading for orange five out of eight failed because they couldn't do the ushiro geri properly.

3) Half an hour from 18:30 until 19:00 on a Saturday.

4) Kiba dachi stance, numerous Shuto strikes, two shuto blocks, the ushiro geri back kick and the pinan ni kata.

Also a body test that includes 30 fist pushups and 50 situps.

5) I just hope with all the hours I put in I pass this grading.

6) Grading panel consists of sensei Carol A. David, sensei Perry and up to seven black belts watching from the side lines.

Christian

4. Alberta

Alberta A legend in my own mind.

1: The whole syllabus form 10th ku including all body test for each belt eg sit-ups, push-ups, wood, tiles breaks, katas , wepon katas and 20 full contact fights one after the other. :eek: why im i doing this again???

2: HA HA not going to be hard at all! (yer right!!!)

3: A whole day

4: myself, gi, bo, sai and fighting equpment

5: its all good

6: i will be going for 2nd dan, grading panel will be sensei perry , sensei david, my instructors sensei sue , sensei Alan and most other instructors.

5. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

In red

6. Nomadwanders

Nomadwanders Valued Member

Brown belt and up, we're responsible for any and all material in the curriculum, and could be asked anything at any time. For this test, the examiner wanted to see our pairs forms specifically (we have around 18 of these so far). He said he saw our katas often enough to know that they were decent.

Pretty rough.

Around 1.5-2 hours (felt like 4). Had us go over all material with visiting instructor critiquing, then demo it in front of all belts.

Falls and takedowns on a hard gym floor instead of the nice mats we were used to. All guys did the drills without shirts/tops. Women got to keep theirs though :rolleyes:

Worst part was getting paired initially with someone that did NOT have a firm grasp on the material... got to switch over halfway through to a regular partner that was much better.

Ikkyu (1st kyu) brown belt

7. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

My Last Grading was for blue belt which would be 3rd Kyu (w,y,o,g,p,blue, red, brown black)

1) What did it consist of?
    ALL cirriculem from white to purple belt, katas as a group, katas on my own, randori, self defence techniques not in randori and so questions on things like 'why would you do this?" or 'where are targets for that etc..."

2) How difficult was it?
    I'd say quite difficult about 7/10

3) Length?
    Around 4- 4.5 hours

4) Material?
    Everything I've done up to that point

5) Questions/Comments?
    Not sure I like being the highest belt tested as the pressure is on to preform... I also do like the pressure to preform at my best! out of 5 grading so for I have had a cold during 2 of them- makes it harder to keep your focus when your head hurts and you get dizzy easily.

6) additional(grade you will be or went for,special grading panell. important stuff.
    I went for blue belt, it was fun, I was glad that Sensei Physco was not there as I doubt I could have explained what a day at work is like for me as I did katas

8. freak

freak Valued Member

my next grading (yellow-orange)

1. basics
    2. combo's
    3. 1 group kata, 2 individual kata's
    4. self defence
    5. sparring
    6. oral quiz
    7 board breaking (not mandatory or a grading requirement but we do it for fun

9. Tailzy

Tailzy New Member

Second yellow is different...
    1) Basics and moves..
    2) Self defense
    3) Spar
    4) Push ups and sit ups..

Whats the oral quiz?

We don't do kata untill orange belt..