Karate Check In

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Saz, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

2. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

I'm now 5th Kyu (yellow stripe) in Kyokushin Karate and currently training in the Cavite dojo under Sensei Vic Canon.

Our's is The Philippine Branch of Kyokushinkaikan (IKO-1) under Kancho Matsui.

3. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I suppose I should check in. So here goes
    Recently switched to chidokwan from wtf tkd. Good move on my part. I am testing for 7th kyu soon

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  4. Gizmo Dynamo

Gizmo Dynamo Valued Member

Representing David German's Transitions Action Incorporated (T.A.I) Karate

OSU!!!

5. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Just an update... Currently teaching my own style of Karate Jutsu but planning on taking up a new style of Karate late in 2014 or early 2015 - it would be earlier but I'm going to be learning a new Chinese martial art soon and want to get the basics of that sorted before adding to my Karate training... Why are there not more hours in a day and more days in a week????

6. Lokidwarf

Lokidwarf New Member

Hey I'm Lokidwarf

I practice Okinawan Goju Ryu (1st Kyu)
    In George, South Africa..

Loving it too bits

7. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Good on you Lokidwarf, me too it's a blast!

What do you like best sparring? Kata? Bunkai? Do you have kobudo in your dojo?

8. Lokidwarf

Lokidwarf New Member

Well I like kata and bunkai...especially because kata's are a flowing of movements and done right can become efficient form of attack and defence. Bunkai's for the application of what you have learned from your kata's.

I do like sparring as well.

We have kobudo in the sensei's home dojo...he likes to split the two forms.

Most of all I like the tradition and preservation of these arts.

9. hatsie

Cool I also enjoy kata, just the constant learning! First the basic 'shape' of the kata, then filling in the dots, then separating the 'tough' bits and working on them, all the while polishing your kihon. My next kata is saifa.

I also like kicking the crap out of pads sometimes :D like last nights class!

take care

10. Lokidwarf

Lokidwarf New Member

Niccceeeee yeah I'm working on my shisochin kata....and my freaking shikodachi...I hate shiko..

11. hatsie

Kills the legs eh?! San chin kills me when I really go for it, I've been doing a lot of ice skating lately, I really feel it helps my karate and vice versa! Suppose its common sense ie. there's only so many ways your skeleton can move balance and spin on one leg lol.
    I was a 1st kyu 25 yrs ago! Now I'm 5 th lol, grading coming up in a month or two I think. :)

When's your shodan?

12. Lokidwarf

Lokidwarf New Member

I don't mind doing shiko dachi, but I cant do it properly....apparently I have some hip issues (i'm only 26) something with the construction of my bone structure....I love sanchin and zenkutsu (which I can do properly as well as neko dachi). We have a stance in Kobudo called kokutsu dachi...now that is a real killer.

My Shodan is end of this year...I'm super amped up about it.

13. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

After the horror of standing round for 20mins+ at a time in shiko dachi, for me, kokutsu dachi was a relief. Still not easy in the slightest mind, but it was nice to be in a different posture :p

Best of luck with this dude! Make sure you post to let us know how you get on :)

14. Lokidwarf

Lokidwarf New Member

Yeah kokutsu dachi should feel like a relief after that period in shiko.....ouch

I'll definitely let you guys know about the grading.

15. hatsie

Lol, I just came back from a class where the whole class was doing kicks slowly and holding them in the extended position for 10 seconds. Maekeri- yokogeri- ushirokeri. Then jumping straight to opposite side for ten seconds- change-change. Great for balance and strength.
    That's our 'homework' sensei quite rightly said he can show us and help us, but we must do the work ourselves!

Legs will hurt tomorrow :)

16. Lokidwarf

Lokidwarf New Member

Like my sensei always ask us "does it hurt?" and when you reply yes...he replies by saying "Good let it keep on hurting"....

And I also heard another sensei say "Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

17. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Well after two years of no karate, I decided to try a class over in Trimdon that does a slightly different style to what I've done in the past last week and had my second session last night. From what I understand, this club and my previous club were linked about 20 years ago so there's a lot of similarities and it's more getting my body working, changing a few words around in my head and figuring out one-step and three-steps. I had no trouble doing the Heian kata though. And I must remember that I'm not as young, fit or flexible as I used to be!

18. royaluser0022

royaluser0022 New Member

Hi every one..
    I am Ni Dan
    Goju Ryu Karate

19. royaluser0022

royaluser0022 New Member

hey

Hey
    i am a instructor in goju ryu and i am Ni Dan

20. Spaceman89

Spaceman89 New Member

David
    I have a small dojo in Timperleyjust down the road from my Sensei's dojo in Manchester
    We do Ashihara Karate

Ashihara karate was developed by Hideyuki Ashihara in 1980 in his desire to teach a more rational, 'real fight' (jissen) type of karate. Imagine a fight where two subjects charge forward and crash into each other, the bigger person will usually win by sheer physics. Ashihara karate teaches how to push, pull and turn to avoid the size, strength or speed of the opponent.