Karate Check In

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Saz, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Dan,

Been training since I was 14, First system was Shotokan of which I hold a Shodan grade big hiatus from Karate to study other systems now back and studying Kyokushin and looking to start knockdown competion in the new year once of the correct grade. Missed Karate big time, good to be back.

Osu!

Dan93

2. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

So you're also a Dan Squared?

a dan named Dan :p

Got 1 in my dojo too :)

3. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

LOL, Made me laugh! :)

Osu!

Dan93

4. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

I started training in GoJu Ryu karate (GKK) when I was 9 (I turn 30 this week). We only had an adult class, so I was one of the few kids allowed there (my dad knew the sensei and actually started with me and got to maybe 4th kyu before stopping). I trained until about 8th grade when I found 'other interests.' I started back my junior or senior year in high school and continued my training. At this time my dojo was also doing aikido and Uechi Ryu, so I did those as well (and they had broken away from the GKK). I got my shodan on my 21st birthday (it was a two day test...and I didn't perform so well on day two, lol. Luckily day two was just a ton of sparring and self defense stuff...the requirement was mostly just to survive. Day one was all the basics and kata that was scrutinized). Anyway, I was really getting into aikido and left the US to be an uchideshi at an aikido dojo in like 05 or 06. When I came back, my karate dojo closed down so I continued my aikido training with the guy my karate teacher learned aikido from. Sometimes I get together with my old GoJu buddies and train a bit...also I try to go through all the GoJu kata and some basic techniques every week.

5. DoctorQui

DoctorQui New Member

OSU

I started in Karate when I was 16 practicing Goju Ryu, I got to 4th Kyu then stopped when I was 18. 20 years later I went back and started training in Wado Ryu and loved it. After 18 months I got to an advanced Kyu then moved to another part of the country where there weren't any local Wado Ryu clubs so switched to Shotokan and am now about to take 1st Kyu.

DQ

6. Heath Stray

Heath Stray Valued Member

Hi there!

I practise Shotokan Karate, from Sensei Taiji Kase's lineage (Shotokan Ryu Kase Ha). I've been training for about two years, and I'm going for my green belt, 6th Kyu. Most Dojos don't take so long for going up grades, but my Sensei is really demanding, and I'm fine with that; it will just make me train harder :D.

I know Shotokan is not the most traditional style of Karate, but still, I try to make my training the most "okinawan" as possible. After all, as long as I have the Kata, I have all I need to make my Karate into a great and effective martial art.

7. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I'm almost a green 6th kyu belt too. :)

8. Primus Death

Primus Death どうか私を教育してください

I don't know if I've checked in before, but here's my details:
    My name is Michael

I train at Munen Muso Martial arts. It's a mix between traditional karate (Shotokan I believe) and modern techniques and practices. The name means 'To act calmly and naturally in the face of danger'.

I'm a 1st Kyu and training to go for my Shodan-Ho in December.

9. miguksaram

miguksaram Valued Member

Hello all,

I started my martial arts training in Shuri-ryu back in 1980 under the late Mst. Ron Rollands in Springfield, IL. I moved up to the suburbs of Chicago and became enrolled in Korean arts where the vast majority of my focus has been for the past 30 years. I was blessed, however, to move close to Sharkey's Karate Studio, which teaches Shorei-ryu karate. I have been a student and instructor there for the past 8 years where I am currently ranked as a 2nd dan.

10. NinjaPlease

NinjaPlease Ninjas always say Please.

I got my black belt in Freestyle Karate atfer 6 years of training, but im still looking to improve my skills. =)

11. mad_hatter

mad_hatter New Member

Hey all!

I'm Phil, from Birmingham. I've been training Shotokan Karate since February and currently hold my 8th Kyu! Still just a baby as far as Martial Arts go, but loving every minute!

Cheers!

12. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Welcome !
    Where are you training in Brum ?

13. mad_hatter

mad_hatter New Member

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm not actually in Brum... It's just easier to say that! I'm actually in Redditch, Worcs. About 20 mins drive from Birmingham City center.

14. bassai

Training with Slater by any chance ?

15. Koetsuji

Koetsuji Valued Member

I'm Justin 1st Dan (black belt) SHOHEI-RYU, an awesome okinawan style

The dojo I Started in is in Mississippi. But I've also trained in front of the masters of Okinawa

16. mad_hatter

mad_hatter New Member

Got it in one!

17. bassai

Cool !
    I've trained with him a couple of times top bloke and hard as nails.

18. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

My style is shorin ryu shidokan karate, currently in testing for my 1st dan

Shorin ryu roughly translates to small forest style (reffering to the shaolin temple)

Shidokan means "house of the way of the warrior spirit"

We emphasize hard striking, evasion, blocking, and a strong defense. There are a wide range of techniques from jumping and spinning kicks to the simple techniques we all know and love.

19. CyberFairy

CyberFairy New Member

Hi All!!!

Pete

Zen Karate-Jutsu
    Bradford UK
    2nd dan instructor

At Zen Karate we practise functional karate, focusing on kata based practical application. And hitting things really hard lol

http://www.zenkaratejutsu.com/

20. Cheekers1989

Cheekers1989 Valued Member

HI! My name is Sandra. I am currently studying Ryu Shin Kyu karate being taught by Gary Connors at USU (Not sure if he is 5th or 6th dan >.<!). I'm just a small naive white belt (first grade). USU is located in Logan, Utah. I'm having lots of fun but I am still afraid of the floor. O.O!