Karate Check In

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Saz, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'd be suprised if it outnumbered the Japanese "big 4" of shoto, wado, goju, ****o.

2. cejames

cejames Valued Member

No offense taken, this is simply the "accepted" quote provided by a lot of Isshinryu practitioners.

Simply put, Isshinryu is very new and it is the most practiced style by Marines of that era but as today it is NOT the most popular.

I should have reviewed it before I posted to make sure that it was a bit more accurate.

Regardless, everyone wants to think their style or system is the best or the most practiced but in reality it is never so...so, no offense taken, you are correct to point it out.

I have modified the quoted text to cut it out. :rolleyes:

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

tkd is the most popular style of karate :p

4. shorinshodan

shorinshodan Valued Member

Just like the name says, Shodan in Shorin Ryu. :)

5. Libjumper

Libjumper New Member

Jumper. I studied non-classical Shorin-Ryu under Peter Williams in Toowoomba. Since it closed I moved onto Parkour and Tricking, which has led me to incorporate some kicks from Chinese arts that are used in tricking into my repertoire.

6. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

Hi Lib jumper. Welcome to map.

7. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Fixed. :p

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Sensei might agree with you on occasions, but I'm getting there. :)

Mitch

9. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

10. Paul A

Paul A Valued Member

11. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

How ya doing mate, you'll love it here

12. hext

hext Valued Member

Hext

Washinkai Karate

8th Kyu (Soon to be 7th with a little more practise)

13. Kuto

Kuto Vacuumed Member

Alright, after having quit TKD I yesterday officially joined a karate school after having trained there for a couple of weeks.
    It's a IOGKF school with 30 members or something, and I can't really say whether it's a good or bad school for I don't really know the style yet. But After checking some schools what they do comes closest to my views of martial art, so I gave it a try and now I'm in.

So bonjour, karatekas, my name is Kuto, I do Goju Ryu and I'm a white belt once again!
    :)

14. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Welcome in to the fold of the chosen few!

15. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

Even better, the first other IOGKF member I've seen on here :) so it's great to hear. Welcome! You've made the first step ;)

16. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Hey guys,

I started training at the local kyokushin dojo to complement the judo I'm currently doing. It was a great class so expect many more posts full of n00b questions (I'm looking at you, Kuma :p)

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Hope the training's going well Timmy Boy! Who is the sensei? Has the club got a website?

Mitch

18. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Well I've literally only just started and I can only make it once per week due to judo on Tuesdays, but it's Shihan Stuart Wright's club in Chelmsford - www.chelmsforddojo.com - and it seems like a good club.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  19. Heian

Heian New Member

Hi there :)

Glasgow Scotland, Shoto Budo, Second Kyu.

20. Theek

Theek Valued Member

Hi, I'm pretty new to karate. I am white belt in shorin-ryu. My sensei is Kevin Hughes.