Karate Books Recomendation

Discussion in 'Karate' started by lma, Oct 17, 2011.

1. lma

lma Valued Member

Has any one read any really old karate books? I have only read Funakoshi My way. I know I could Google some but I want to know opinions from people that know what there talking about.

Im not looking for a story like "karate do My Way" and I'm not looking for a karate how to book either. Im looking for something that's in-depth from an old master. Preferably Shotokan but I welcome other styles as well.

2. Higaona Sensei's History of Karate makes for a captivating read.
    It is hard to find though.

OSu!

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

there are multiple ones in japanese here, including the original edition of karatedo kyohan, with funakoshi's original applications:

http://www.hawaii.edu/asiaref/okinawa/digital_archives/karate_museum.html

even if you don't have any way to read them, the pictures themselves are very interesting (for example, funakoshi applied his gedan kosa/juji-uke with an off-line step in the book).

4. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

That's a killer website! Do wish I read kanji.

5. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Brilliant link Fish!

lma, if you're focus is Shotokan then surely you can't do better, or older, than Karate-do Kyohan?

You can find a couple of other earlier works by Funakoshi. There is an english translation of 'Rentan Goshin Toudi Jutsu' mentioned on the link above. Its usually called 'Rentan Goshin Karate Jutsu' or just 'Karate Jutsu'. There's also a compilation of various short articles by Funakoshi called 'Tanpenshu' which you can find here:

http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/index1.html

I'd also recommend Choki Motobu's 'My Art' on the same link and, if you want to go further back in time then there's the Bubishi.

Mike

6. lma

lma Valued Member

It's a shame there not translated . Thanks all for the advice

7. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

i've just started Reading The art of Hojo Undo by Sensei mike clarke i'd say its a must read for anyone who's dojo doesn't practice it but they want to.

8. lma

lma Valued Member

Has any one read these and would be able to tell me much about the difference ?

Karate-do Kyohan and Karate-do Nyumon ?

Or are they the same book just translated by different people?

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

"Moving Zen" might be worth digging out - Chris Nichol was the author I think

10. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Two completely different books.
    The first is predominantly a technical manual, the second predominantly a collection of stories.

Kyohan is available in several different editions. Go for an older edition (reprint of the 30s edition) if you are more interested in close quarter applied Karate.

11. lma

lma Valued Member

Thanks

Would you recommend both are worth a read?

12. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I'd say that depends on what you are interested in.

If you want to increase your knowledge of Shotokan Karate history, both are interesting and useful.

If you are purely interested in how Shotokan is done now then I would say that neither are useful.

13. Cayuga Karate

Cayuga Karate Valued Member