Karate Bloke Doing Karate Stuff (And some running as well)

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by VoidKarateka, Sep 3, 2017.

1. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

Hi folks, so recently I've started losing weight with general training at the gym but now I'm hitting that stage where I need to refocus and get some record down of what I'm doing so I can measure and take proper account of what I'm doing.

So here's my measurable goals:

Reach 14st by the end of 2017
    Run a kilometer in under 6 minutes by the end of 2017
    Be able to do a consecutive 50 pushups (within the space of 2 minutes) by the end of 2017

My not so measurable goals include being generally more flexible, lighter on my feet in sparring, be able to perform my kata to a higher standard, regain my confidence and ability on the ground, and improve my general efficiency and competence in striking.

Any pointers, new goals or input of any kind is welcome folks :)

Today I started with an evening jog ready for the week's activities. Here's what I got:

03 09 2017 FACE.jpg 03 09 2017 MAP.jpg

It was tough, and my calves are a bit sore but otherwise felt great to be out. Need to work on that time though, even if it was a jog, at some points it felt barely quicker than a brisk walk.

2. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

A few years back I dropped my weight from 110 kgs to 73 kgs in ten months. Now I average about 80 kgs most of the time after I put some muscle on.

So, be encouraged. Weight loss and control is totally achievable. I used Myfitnesspal.com to log exercise and food and found it very useful and educational.

Here's an article about me: https://manvfat.com/amazing-loser-vince-millett/

VoidKarateka likes this.
  3. hewho

hewho Valued Member

(You may already have done this) It can help with motivation to break your big goals down into little goals. I don't know what you've already achieved, so I can't suggest targets, but for the run, you could say 'under 7 minutes by October, under 6:30 by the start of November' etc. Keep doing the stuff you enjoy, and remember that what you put in your body is a massive factor in achieving your goals. Don't weigh yourself every day, as you'll find it fluctuates, and this can be demotivating. Good luck!!

VoidKarateka and Vince Millett like this.
  4. VoidKarateka

Thanks for the feedback guys. Been gently working back into a regular routine.

Today I hit the gym for a primarily cardio based session.

Jumped on the treadmill for some distance running (I like using the treadmill with a slight incline since it seems easier on my knees than hitting the pavement). I clocked up 8km in 48 minutes. This meets my goal of reaching a 6 minute kilometer, but I won't be happy until I can pull that off comfortably on concrete.

Afterwards I spent a little time working arm only combinations on the boxmaster (nice piece of equipment). Did 4, 2 minute rounds a high intensity with a 1 minute rest between rounds.

I always like to put a bit of weight work in so I did some upper body work upstairs focused around the deltoid, lat, and oblique areas with some core exercises done at the end using a kettle bell.

I cycled to and from the gym as well, about 10 minutes or so each way.

Feeling pretty good and happy about reaching my goals.

I'm also at the dojo later, mainly coaching for the majority of 3 hours but I'm hoping to get a bit of work in there as well.

Hewho, I'm going to look at an under 6.5 minute kilometer by the end of October and a weight of 14st 8lbs as my mini goals in working towards my end goals.

Hope you're all training hard as well folks!

hewho likes this.
  5. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Good stuff! Are you keeping a log of your weight work?

VoidKarateka likes this.
  6. VoidKarateka

I haven't. I used to years ago but recently I've more or less trained by feel and memory. Thanks for the reminder, time to get my note pad on the go at the gym. I'll include this in my next log.