Kajukenbo "The original MMA"

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by BGile, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi,
    Sort of like a GM in San Diego I have read about. Same occupation. :woo:

If you are posting to me, since I am one who has been in quite a few in the last 65 years. I was screaming when I was born they tell me, and it was a very painful experience :D my head was perfect prior to the trip. Took some time to get right again.

I have had a few near ones of late but nothing serious. I did start to choke out a DUI driver a few years ago. But he decided to mend his ways. Screaming like a child. He had a huge dog that was next in line, I was being nice that night or he would have been choked out and his dog dead.

Fortunatly I did not choke him out and the dog was appeased. CHP and others were there to take over, felt sorry for me being old and all.

Gary

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Dan,

I, one time wrestled a chimp when I was a preteen, strong to the max and I actually got fearful. :cry: People heard the noise and saved him. :)

Gary

3. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Christ you are weird

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Kempofist, old san one.

Is it correct the way you are saying that? I know you have brought that name to the table before. Sort of a fixation of yours :rolleyes: Now you are into JW :confused: I am not sure how to take that, maybe Dan W. could explain, he seems to be doing a remarkable job of translations :rolleyes: NOT.

5. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

Sounds we are a bit more on the same page then--you have to train static before alive, but until you can do it alive, it's useless. I concur.

6. KempoFist

"The I-Method is made up of three stages that all serve a specific purpose in the growth of ability in a student:

Introduce: In this stage the student is introduced to a specific technique compliantly. Little to no resistance is utilized at this stage, for the goal is to ensure the student understands the mechanics and nuances of the technique.

Isolate: The next stage is to isolate the technique. From here we begin adding incremental resistance that varies depending on how well the student has grasped and uses the move or technique. This does not mean, punch in a bit harder or faster this time and then just stand still. This does not mean punch in harder or faster with multiple strikes but stop moving once you get hit. This means attacking with realistic attacks in a fashion that reflects what one would face in a real confrontation, and not stopping until your partner has successfully finished the technique or drill.

Integrate: This is the last and most important stage. Here we use what we have learned in free-form sparring or randori. The goal here is to utilize what you have learned in addition to the rest of your knowledge against a fully resistant opponent who's goals mirror yours, rather than being nothing more than a compliant uke.

Only through this method of training can a student reach his or her full potential. Training in this manner is also key in ensuring that the autononmous quality control I meantioned earlier is being utilized. A teacher shouldn't have to tell a student whether a technique will work or not, they should be able to figure it out on their own through a proper training environment. Students must learn to learn from each other in training rather than looking up to a far from omnipotent instructor for all the answers. I as an instructor should not be standing in the front of the room saying, "This move works...trust me...I know this....we've been doing it for years so it has to be good...look at how many stripes I have on my belt, you can't argue with me!" Rather I should be in the front of the room watching students USE that move, and then come back to me and tell me about how great it works."

7. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Umm can I just ask what you mean when you say Ju Jutsu can be a little bit of all the others?! Don't you mean the others are all a little bit of Ju Jutsu?

8. KempoFist

And my commentary on breaking down "Self defense" training...

9. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I was thinking these were private lessons for him at the house. I got that feeling when he was talking about it. Backyard was mentioned, BBQ stuff like that.

Or maybe it is in a class? What is happening on tues and thurs? I was going to go there soon and visit.
    I was going to talk about a new book I have in mind about: Walter, Johnny, Sonny and me, back in the sixtys. Almost rhymes :D I am sure he would know about it... Someone must still be talking about all the good times. :rolleyes:

Gary

10. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Yes that would probably be better, but I think either way is ok.

11. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Kempofist

Are we training, or still watching for the train wreak? When is it time to start talking about the history?

Gary

12. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Oh I just saw this.
    Not nice to talk like that Kempofist. Two of what you say are correct, the other two are not. We know right, us in the inner circle are always on the same track? Train hard or Train wreck?

When you mentioned the above, I did like the smile :D Back to you ;)

Sorry to many post's, been out most of the day.

Gary :Alien:

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Actually many in Kenpo of EP Sr. mention their art is good on the ground or standing up, I am not sure, I don't do EP Sr. stuff. Sounds like a typical sale of goods though. But some of it has to be in Kempo? Right :Angel:

Dan,
    I am not able to see the video's, anyone else have the same problem? All I have is noise like slapping and stomping and groaning. HMMM

My last post for the night :eek:

14. James Funaro

James Funaro Formerly "joe nobody"

I was not saying anything about kempo and it's work on the ground or standing or whatever.

I was referring to comments made that BJJ was ineffective because it took to long on the ground to get a sub, or did not train correctly to flee from a fight. Which is bull.

Please elaborate on EP Kenpo working on the ground? As in they have borrowed some techniques from wrestling/BJJ/Judo?? Or that kempo works pn the ground? I guess kickboxing works on the ground to.

15. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

Looks like Kickboxing is at the Pit those nights, but you could have found that out by just going to the site. You didn't even read my original post. I said at Liddell's school they only train kickboxing, wrestling and grappling. I never said anything about John Hackleman's school. You should learn to read the whole post before you go out spewing information.

16. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

NO teaching old dogs new tricks!!!

NO! Bad Gufbal1981!

17. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

LOL Nuck. You're a funny guy...

18. KempoFist

Was training from 6 to 8. Then hit the gym from 8:30 - 9:30. Was at a bar tonight catching up with some old friends, and kicking it to this cute Italian girl who was friends with the girl my friend was trying to get with. I should seal the deal by Sunday in case you were curious....unfortunately the UFC is saturday, and unless she's down with that, I'm not seeing her that night :D

19. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Hmmm...Let's see....spend the night with a cute girl or spend the night watching sweaty guys grabing each other.....Hmmmmm......tough choice man.

20. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

"Squeeze my lemon, till the juice runs down my leg."---Led Zepplin

Look, sorry your kempo sucked. It ain't the same everywhere. And, for the record, I don't think Chapel sucks even if a couple of those videos can be seen as humorous when taken out of context.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.