Kajukenbo "The original MMA"

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by BGile, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Funny. At the last TD I had a good talk with Vin who trains at a Straight Blast Gym, and this other guy who had Aikido experience. We were discussing wristlocks and where they come into use. We all agreed that they were damned near useless in a fistfight, but as a tool to stop a fight in the escalation stage of the pre-fight in an SD scenario they were perfect.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. And I still have no qualms throwing down with Tom's guys. I don't know what their credentials are on the ground, but I'm not really afraid of going there with anybody regardless.

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Well I have talked to John Hackleman and he tells it different. Maybe you just wern't there on Thursday night or was it Tuesday? :confused: In a gi, no less. :cool:

Gary

3. KempoFist

These are the gloves we use [​IMG]

Oh come on. Not like the rest of the site isn't a waste of bandwidth ;)

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Yea, some won't go 20 miles to prove/disprove a point, let alone more.

I'll drive 400 or so. ;) Oneway.

5. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

One of the most accomplished martial artists that I know of, and a life-long LEO, Ron Chapel, teaches a form of Kenpo that rejects all such "dirty" tricks - eye gouges etc. And yet anyone who has worked out with those guys will tell you that their variety of Kenpo is head-and-shoulders above the typical in effectiveness. As Dr. Chapel says - you knew how to poke an eye when you strapped on your first white belt.

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Early KempoFist you said something aoubt the only difference being the ultiamte goal - "win" or "get away", and other than that it was 98% the same.

I don't believe you can change the ultimete goal of something and it remain 98% the same, except at the most superficial levels.

"The question is not 'can I kick your a--?', but 'Can I stop you from kicking mine?'"

-David

7. GIJoe6186

GIJoe6186 Valued Member

Danjo, Sorry if you werent the one telling him to meet Tom. I had to read a lot of pages here. It was meant for whoever told him to go to Toms place, I was just pointing out that Tom being a legitimate kickboxer and grappler doesnt prove anything about Kempo.

8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I'll say Ron has a good point there. Eye pokes were in when I was preteen. I notice my grankids go for those, and groin kicks/strikes are taught to them as a good tool against bad people who are out to do little children harm. Good stuff they train now. I was shown the same long ago and far away. But by older kids not my parents and grandparents :love:

9. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Well then, next time you're in town, let me know. I'm a lot older than Tyrell so I don't mind mixing it up with the senoir citizens.

10. KempoFist

I beg to differ. If two men walk down a path, but each must go their seperate way at a fork down the road, does that not make the rest of their walk the same? You punch, kick, clinch, grapple, and fight the same way you do in training, in the ring, and in the street. The only difference is whether you are fighting to win, or fighting to escape. And SD doesn't always mean you want to escape, so it's probably closer to 99%.

11. KempoFist

You mean THIS Ron Chapel? http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34561&referrerid=10275

12. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

If you're trying to argue that MMA can be used for self defense, no problem. If you're trying to say that Kenpo etc. can't, then I would disagree.

13. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

I have the schedule for SLO Kickboxing...that is Chuck's school that he owns. They don't do Kempo there. The Pit is a different school. here's the link. as you can see, Chuck's school, SLO kickboxing is an affiliated school, but not a Kempo school. BTW, Gary, it's Monday and Wednesday at the Pit Kempo school in Arroyo Grande. Chuck's school is in San Luis Obispo.

http://thepit.cmasdirect.com/site/view/21994_Home.pml

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  14. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

15. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I know what you mean when I got back to the thread it was 2 more pages ;)
    I am just pleased so many want to discuss the topic. Jason and I are trying to at least keep it in view :D

So how about 5th degree blackbelt in 5 years :bang: Or 15th just because you think that is where, or how good you are? Talk about delusional :rolleyes:
    Belts are a good way to make money, selling them.
    DNA does help in some organizations I have noticed.

Gary

16. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

So Chow was delusional now?

17. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

That guy would be the deadliest man alive in a street fight. I shudder with the thought of meeting the king of baddassery. Great picks on that one Danjo.

18. James Funaro

James Funaro Formerly "joe nobody"

I don't get it. First BJJ takes too long so it is not street. Why does it take so long to land a sub? Maybe because BJJ players eventually learn how to counter each other, it becomes hard over time as we all "wise up" to each other. Same with MMA, in the UFC two fighters with close skill levels fight and so it takes a while sometimes!

But guess what happens when an experienced MMA or BJJ (or whatever art) stylist goes against a less skilled opponent? They tear them apart in seconds. Saying a sub takes too long to go for is stupid.

Next, street/sport its all similar. Why can't we use MMA sparring with multiple opponents/rubber knives/mock weapons? Most MMA schools don't do this as they are usually focused on MMA competition. But why can't a self defence oriented school do it?

Last, training to escape? How about training to control the situation? Give yourself the option. I would not change my BJJ at all if I was shifting my goal to "being able to escape".

If I want to escape I break his guard and run. If I want to fight I break guard and pass. To escape I do an upa to get out of his mount and I run. To fight I do an upa and then work on passing guard.

Tell me where I really need to change anything except he last one or two actions?

19. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

If you want to talk numbers, think about it this way. How old were these people when Kajukenbo was founded. It is the 60th anniversary of Kaju this year. Now, subtract that number from Sijo's age and multiply that by the number of classes you attended at John Leonings, then divide that number by the street fights Kempofist has been in, then subtract how old Jason thinks I am, and you will get

wait for it...

wait for it....

ZERO!

20. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

I didn't say eye gouges and throat strikes. I said groin strikes and eye pokes. Big difference. They aren't exactly high skill techniques.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.