Kajukenbo "The original MMA"

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by BGile, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Likewise :rolleyes:

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Yes to your whole post, and a double, yes yes to the last line. :Angel:

Gary

3. KempoFist

So did I! We must be awesome!!! Or maybe....just maybe....NOT. For me it was too bad I found out later they were just playing with me, letting me get used to applying different submissions, and weren't actually trying to beat me. Not that they told this to me, but finding that the better I got month after month, the worse I'd lose to them didn't seem to be adding up in my mind. I suppose if I sparred with a boxing coach, and landed some shots on his head or gut that I'm now better than the coach.

You're a joke plain and simple. I'd say more, but I don't think Pacificshore would approve.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  4. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

Can you think of anyone else who may have been screwed? Do you know who John Wong was?

5. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

I'm a joke? Now look who's being funny. I think the fact that they went storming off saying "Damn it!" after they got tapped would argue otherwise, but whatever. Look go on thinking that you know what you're talking about after your experiences. It should bring you comfort at night to know that kenpo guys are powerless before your mighty aliveness. :)

6. KempoFist

hahaha, that's good stuff. Like I said, you're a joke.

7. KempoFist

This is exactly why I hate the coddling nature if you will of many Jiu-Jitsu schools. It all comes down to the feel one would expect at a BJJ/GJJ place, where it's more than a MA school, but more of a team and family.

It shouldn't be like that for the newcomer students. You never know how people will react to praise. You get that new guy in class, and work with him, suddenly instead of him taking your praise in the sense of, "yeah, that was good, I just kept my base that time, and took the back for a RNC" they are thinking, "OMGZ I JUST TAPPED A PURPLE BELT!"

Idiots don't think of it in terms of a learning experience where you hone the numerous facets of a ground game, but rather think of the end result being the end all be all of training. Too many high ranking Jiu-Jitsu people IMO don't understand that, and let these idiots go off thinking they are awesome, assuming of course they don't stay till they themselves are higher in rank and realize it for themselves.

Had a talk about that the other day with a purple belt I was working with, whom I caught with a reverse triangle. What sparked the conversation was I with my experience now, realized he could have reversed out of it, but didn't.

8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

If I did, I don't remember. Is he another of the few who have been slighted and thrown away, for some mistake of not paid vig? Or better yet never really exisited, but in old books? I hope when John writes another, he will still refer to the few who really made a difference in my life in the 60's.

When they are no longer mentioned does that mean they never exisited? Sort of like the millions and millions who were never here because they were not talked about, again by harsh parents or others?

Gary

9. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

I had a similar experience. I used to be able to do the 1st guard pass I ever learned at will against a certain blue belt when I had only been there a few months. After about 2 weeks, I could not pass his guard with it anymore. I asked him what I was doing wrong since it used to work so well. He said 'im not letting you work that one anymore, you now know it works so learn another pass or you won't be passing my guard anytime soon.'

Now I've been there like 3.5 years and I always let new guys work on me. It's pointless and selfish to just destroy new guys.

10. KempoFist

Nah, not destroy them. But make sure they have things in perspective. Otherwise we end up results like Dan here who did some BJJ then ran back his Kaju school mouthing off on the internet about how awesome he is.

11. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

One of the reason's I really enjoyed a school I went for a visit and was involved in on prior ocassion, Judo Gene and Gokor. Heck I got to tap both of them out. :) Plus I put my neck up there and got a patch for getting choked out by none other than ................Mr LeBell........... :D Even called me sir and thank you. I did drop some pretty good green for books and lessons though. I am easy.

Not the thing to do I am told if you are my age, but I can still type...Hmmm maybe that is why I am hard to follow :D No I've always been that way, secret decoders are cool.

KempoFist don't get annoyed with Dan, he is just funnin. He is never around or goes anywhere he can be seen by us, I hear he is 170 and about 5'10" or so. Now which Dan am I speaking of? Well he is always padded up and you don't know if it is him or not :rolleyes:

So Guf, how big a guy is he? Dan no coaxing :D :D Not that it really matters they say. :eek:

Gary

12. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

I did not specify. If it's like a smaller guy or a cool guy, I'll let him work and it's usually ok. If it's someone with a big head, I'll show him that I can handle him, then I let him work.

Dan is obviously in the 2nd category.

13. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Yawn. You BJJers are AWESOME okay? My GAWD, you're bitchin. You're right, I never could have tapped those guys if they weren't letting me. I'm just lucky they let me live. I shudder to think how close I came to death or paralysis.

14. KempoFist

Take a couple years, get a clue, call me when you get back

15. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Wasn't UFC 3 won by that Ninja dude Steve Jennum?

16. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

I think cause Royce Gracie bowed out before the finals.

17. KempoFist

And because Steve Jennum trained in a school that was to say the least a black sheep of its parent org, and he actively grappled live, and prepared to win with that in mind. He won via armbar.

18. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

My point is that those early UFC and Gracie Challenge guys weren't exactly top drawer fighters. I've seen those tapes of the Gracies challenges too and they're not too impressive given their competition.

19. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

Pat Smith had won the Sabaki Challenge the year before. Kevin Rosier was an ex world champion. Remco Pardoel was considered a top Judo/JJ guy in Europe. Orlando Wiet was a ranked MT fighter. Art Jimmerson was a ranked boxer. Ken Shamrock was a King of Pancrase. Gerard Gordeau was a ranked Dutch kickboxer. Yeah, that sure looks like a bunch of scrubs.....

The UFC tried to get Ernesto Hoost and James 'Bonecrusher' Smith, but they declined. They placed ads in all the big MA mags of the time. Art Davie(who is no Gracie nutrider) said that the best of the ones who APPLIED were put in the cage. Keep in mind that alot of guys (like Emin Boztepe) refused to fight.

20. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

So that makes the Ninja like SUPER bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.