Kajukenbo; ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ninja06, May 28, 2004.

1. ninja06

ninja06 New Member

Just want to talk Kajukenbo with any and all who even know what that is. Just talk some good old dirty fighting. JKD aswell. I have noticed that there are not a lot of other Kajukenbo guys here so I though this would be a way to attract them. (if they are here).

The Marines have a saying; "Always cheat = always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose."

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I had never heard of Kajukenbo before. Mr Google has just helped me out.

Looks quite good. :eek:

3. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

I work with some Kajukenbo people from time to time. Great stuff. :D

4. ninja06

ninja06 New Member

Yes that is why I love it so. It's no nonsense get straight the painful point of self preservation that I enjoy. Plus things are constantly being refined reviewed and improved to make the art more effective, deadly, practical and better. Kajukenbo is a great way to go if you realy just want to learn to fight people. Not that its tradtions are lacking, they are very rich indeed, aswell as its history, but all that takes backstage to the fighting method itself. It makes me all tingly inside... *sigh*.

5. manofleisure

manofleisure Valued Member

I need a little info on.....

The style that kajukenbo is.
    I know the arts that comprise kajukenbo,but my questioln is how s trong is the component of jujitsu in the kajukenbo system?
    I am currently a student in silat,but have talked to a local instructor in kajukenbo and the fee is very reasonable,so much infact I am thinking about cross training.
    My school offers a vale tudo and a JKD class I could cross train in but the school is taught by a JKD instructor an apprentice instructor under Ron Bilaki and teaches his style of arts as under his current JKD system.
    My other question of kajukenbo is how rally well rounded is it?Is It karate with a few judo/jujitsu concepts,or it it reall a trully effective art that translates well to the street?
    I viewed my JKD class one evening and I really didn't like the style or the looks of it.They would just play with or mix concepts of everything all together and it just didn't look good or right tome for some reason.
    IT may be good to learn some of these techniques bu the way they were being taught all mashed in together, like a clump of "what is this" just turned me off to it.
    I am just looking for a well balanced art that has a different view,"more simple easy incorperated techniques that would fit together in a self defense scenerio easier and "off the top of my head" type reactions.
    I am really looking for an art that would give me some nice ground,locks,takedowns,with some different options on kicks and standing fighting.Silat is very intricate and would take a good while to become a sound fighter in the style.
    How is kajukenbo on effectiveness since the video clips I saw on the net(hard as hell to find any kind of clips)were,well kinda of cheesey like a kids TKD course?I did see one clip of some guys in Kajukebo working on some ground mount techniques like in BJJ,I thought that was pretty kool.
    So what is the real kajukenbo like?
    I just want a decent descrption of how a class is or the type of structure it has,cause I like drill to you get it right,and pad an focus mit as well,silat,at least my class has nothing but learning of techniques.
    Thanks,

6. getgoin

getgoin Idiot Savant

I am not a Kajukenbo guy. I did it for a few months, way back in the day, before the school closed down and I lost contact with my instructor. After that I trained in Kenpo. But I have worked out with many Kaj. guys. And I will say this Kajukenbo ROCKS. Right now I am getting my fifth dan this summer and I would gladly wear a white belt to Kajukenbo. Lookng at it for the first time you may think it is simple, and it is, to an extent. You wont find any fancy shmancy stuff, but then again it's not the double wrist lock with a whooping crane throw into the double eagle pick, or what ever garbage, that wins a fight, it's the basics. Solid puches and kick, good blocks and covers. Is you want the fancy go some place other than Kaj., but if you want to learn how to land a solid front punch to someones throat as you give an unusual medical procedure then this is your slice of heaven baby.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2004
  7. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

some of Prf. Chow's students
    begat kajukenbo
    begat karazenpo goshinjutsu
    begat cerios' kenpo
    begat shaolin kempo.

Which is where I am at :cool:

8. ManwithOneEye

ManwithOneEye New Member

I just want to say that I have been taking Kaj for about a month now and everything I learn is something I can use..... My instructor, Sigung David Amicucci at Tony Ramos Kajukenbo, not only teaches you the techniques..... he teaches you the application and the reason why we do it. I have to say from everything I have learned so far... Kaj is solid and incorporates all the styles within it very smoothly and easy transition. If you live in Northern Cali please visit my Dojo, maybe sit in a a few lessons. Its awesome!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
  9. ninja06

ninja06 New Member

Manoflieser,

Kajukenbo has a fair amount of juijitsu influance. It is not a Ground pounding style, such as BJJ or shoot fighting. I'd say the srongest influance of Kaj is Kenpo. Because Kenpo utilizes small, quick basic motions to attack very vital areas of an opponent. The rest of the styles are used to enhance that even further.

The judo/juijitsu is used to combat grappling and counter it as well as using arm bars and variouse wrist and ankle locks and such.

The Karate aspect has a bit of a misleading name. It actually is Tung so do. now there a few (1 or 2 ) tung so do forms, but no teq's. Tung so do is used in kaj to kind of show what not to do. We learn to be effective against alot of different flowery kicks and how to exploit them. More so than just the obviouse.

The kung fu influence is also strong. We have alot of rederection counters and we fight very, very close. this melds well with Kenpo. Alot of Kajukenbo forms come from kung fu.

But as I have said the prevailing influance is Kenpo. Adriano Emperado was Kenpo under Wiliam Chow. Chow trained Parker. Parker trained Tracy. Kenpo is our closest cousin. The reason Kenpo is such a strong infuence, is because Kenpo needed least to be changed. Most of our stuff is very Kenpoesk because it is already very effective, it just had some holes and limitations that we used the other styles to fill. Kajukenbo should be called Modified Kenpo. But hey Kajukenbo sounds cool. :D

Kajukenbo is nothing more than dirty fighting made into a science.

10. ninja06

ninja06 New Member

Manof lieser,

To further answer your question, a good kaj class makes sure your basics are SOUND as they can be. Nothing matters if you dont have the basics. period. in Kaj you will be there 2 months and have some good tools up your sleeve for a harry situation.

it is fast simple and I have been studying Kajukenbo for a LONG time and I cant off the top of my head think of a teq that does not inlude broken bones somewhere. You are conditioned to neutralize your opponant using any means necisary in the shortest amount of time. The longer a fight lasts, the more likely you will be injured.

We dont just drill our teniques we also drill random attacks and tackles and the like. There is a saying... Flash is Trash without the basics. I dont agree with that. It should just say FLASH IS TRASH. it gets you nowhere. Kajukenbo is all about inflicting pain on those intending to harm you. You are trained to be more concerned with immobilizing you opponent and his allies than with how you look. Other guys will say that about thier style too, but usually its all talk. But in Kaj I dont need to tell you that you will figure that out during your interductory course. especially if you have seen and taken other styles out there.

anyway there you go.

11. mikechoate

mikechoate New Member

Kajukenbo

Hey nija06 what branch of KAJUKENBO are you from ?
    I studied gaylord methode for about Ten years then Silat for about Six years or so I am thinking about getting back into the KAJUKENBO it's definatly all about smashing your opponent to a crying heap of broken bones and thats what attracted me to it in the first place I will have to make some changes to the way I practice it now since being 42 now training the old style is too damaging to the body.

"Bleed in the Dojo to survive on the streets"

12. nupe357

nupe357 Valued Member

Will Be Visiting a Kajukenbo School Tomorrow!

Hey All:

I will be visiting a Kajukenbo school tomorrow (Friday, 3/8) to check it out...If I like it I will return to actually participate. If anyone is interested I will post my opinion of what I see and hear....

Nupe357

13. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Hope it works out good for you.

If you have a cup and mouth piece, make sure to bring them. Just in case... um... in case you need them?

14. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Kajukenbo is just dirty fighting. What other kind is there? :Angel: If I did not already train in the same manner. I would sign up tomorrow. Check out Rebel Wado's posts. Most informative.

regards koyo

15. nupe357

nupe357 Valued Member

Visiting a Kajukenbo School

I'm just observing this time, but if I like what I see and decide to go back I will definetely bring the cup and the mouthguard! :)

Nupe357

16. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

There are quite a few Kaju guys on the boards, including myself, but many of them frequent mostly the Kenpo boards (Professor John Bishop is one of them, and the unofficial historian of Kajukenbo).

Personally, I study Wun Hop Kuen Do, one of the branches of Kajukenbo developed by GM Al Dacascos, and pretty much everything people have said about Kaju this far is true. It's no-nonsense, dirty fighting made into a martial art. WHKD differs from the hard style Kaju in that there is a lot more Kung Fu and Filipino Arts incorporated, designed to help make it flow faster--it's still all about practicality though. In WHKD, and in many Kaju schools, the curriculum constantly evolves as well; for instance in the 90s many instructors started incorporating more grappling into the mix to deal with the increased numbers of BJJ-trained people on the streets.

17. nupe357

nupe357 Valued Member

Kajukenbo Class

I visited the Kajukenbo school and found it very interesting. I'm not sure that it's right for me but I had a chance to meet and talk at length with a GREAT instructor and to observe some Kajukenbo techniques for the first time. A very interesting art!

Nupe357

18. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

How so if you don't mind me asking :)

19. nupe357

nupe357 Valued Member

I'm an admitted newbie to the martial arts, but here's my take....

Instructor was a GREAT guy who I enjoyed talking to at length and all of the students were very friendly. The training was interesting but I guess I would label it as somewhat "static". It reminded me a bit of TKD (no offense!) in that there were pre-aranged self defense scenarios with willing attackers and defenders (mostly done at moderate speeds). Keep in mind that the class I observed was all black belts with the exception of one brown belt.

There was some practice of forms using weapons (tonfa, bo staff, and broad sword) as well as empty hand forms. The instructor explained to me that the weapons stuff wasn't part of the Kajukenbo curriculum but he taught it as sort of an "extra" thing to his students in an effort to keep things interesting.

All in all, in reminded me of a MUCH improved version of what I've seen (or experienced) in many TKD and Karate schools. However the "methods" (static self defense scenarios at moderate speeds) seems to be very much the same. I know that some may take this statement as ian nsult but it's certainly not meant that way. I would take this Kajukenbo class over most of the TKD and Karate classes I've seen any day of the week. However, if one is looking for a "different" training paradigm, then this may not be the place....

Nupe357

P.S. This definetely didn't seem like the legendary Kajukenbo training that I've heard so much about...The kind where you have to wear a cup and a mouthguard to every class!!

20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Hey Nupe357,

I'm glad you went and saw things first hand. Sounds like you got along with the instructor even if the training wasn't what you were looking for. Maybe there is something there for you to build on.

Too bad it didn't work out. Some schools are more mellow than others, for instance, I believe our school certainly isn't as hardcore as some but we aren't as mellow as others. In our two hour classes, first hour you would see us doing kickboxing, Muay Thai mostly with bag work, conditioning, pad work, drills, and some sparring at the end tailored more for an MMA format. Second hour you might see something a lot more static, with kata, techniques, more traditional training, and our self-defense stuff including limited ground fighting but mostly stand up and ground attack (ground and pound). You might also see us working our Jujitsu/Judo on other days, such as we have BJJ seminar next week taking up Saturday afternoon at our dojo.

What I'm saying is that there is a large range of schools out there. Some very hardcore, some more mellow... as long as it is hard sincere training, I respect them. Anyway, keep trying, if you ever get around to checking out Kajukenbo the way you might be expecting it, you probably will want to try out some of the Kajukenbo schools that also have an MMA format. There are a few good ones out there that actually are training fighters for cage matches as well as anyone interested in that type of training and willing to put in the work.

Keep an open mind and train hard. Take care.