‘KaIis Ilustrisimo: The Archived System of Antonio “Tatang” Ilustrisimo’ by Romeo Macapagal

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Tulisan_Olympus, May 19, 2022.

1. Tulisan_Olympus

Tulisan_Olympus New Member

This review is for those who are curious, want more information, or on the fence about whether to order the book ‘KaIis Ilustrisimo: the archived system of Antonio “Tatang” Ilustrisimo’ or not. Disclaimer: I have been a friend of (link deleted) the author for 7 years and his student for 5: for better or worse that makes me and my review biased. Still, I’ll address who the book is for and who it might not be for - these are also my opinions and may or may not reflect those of the author.

I’ve been a workshop facilitator for over 30 years and a corporate facilitator for over 14 years; during that time I’ve written dozens of training manuals. There is a huge difference between functional guides and filler material. Sometimes clients wanted manuals that were more process guides and organizational propaganda. This volume is not that nor a cookbook, but more of a resource guide from which one can expand and deepen their practice and core understanding of Philippine Swordsmanship.

The book is Mang Romy's opus to an art he has dedicated 35 years to and to his teacher Antonio “Tatang” Ilustrisimo. It is filled with stories, precise technical details, and insights that will mean different things to practitioners over the decades of a lifelong practice. For the FMA - Filipino Martial Art researcher, key hypotheses are presented with references. This book was written for future generations so that one day - in the future when the video archives are hopefully made available from the different sources - there is also a written archive of the thoughts, technical details, context, and mindset by one of “Tatang's” direct long term students.

For anyone who has read archaic sword manuals - there are lots of questions that come up. Many researchers have to delve into the historical record only to come up empty-handed. The book was written to help answer a lot of those questions and put them in one place for Tatang’s art.

The book is about the life of Antonio “Tatang” Ilustrisimo: including experiences of his early generations of students, and then it goes deep into the sword art of Kalis Ilusrisimo (anyone catch the redundancy in that last sentence?). It is not a book for beginners or dilettantes for those focusing on self-defense, or visual learners - there are few diagrams or pictures. But if you have a few years in an FMA or sword system - there is a lot for you to chew on for years. If you are a kinesthetic learner and like in yoga practice words help you deepen your embodiment there will be much of great value.

The book narrates vignettes of 60+ key incidents and periods of Tatangs life, and key people in his journey. For those wanting a better understanding of Jolo in the 1910s, pre-WWII Philippines, and post-WWII Manila vibrant images are painted. It contains stories of old practices like prayers, magic, criminal behavior, violence, and other esoterics that are no longer appropriate for modern FMA practitioners but important for those who want further insight into the culture of Tatang's time.

There are also stories of how Tatang was convinced to finally teach publicly as a septuagenarian and of what it was like to learn directly from him. The stories of the early generation of students also add insight and value. The book then pivots into the worldview of Tatang - someone who killed with the sword. Tatang’s sayings - “Mga kasabihan ni Tatang” that Mang Tony Diego & Mang Romy documented and agreed upon are translated into English and expounded on. Here the concerns and ideas of Tatang’s way of swordsmanship are articulated and explained.

For those who are already students of Kalis Ilustrisimo it will give you deeper insights into techniques you might be struggling with or that you want to improve. For those who spar where pain and injury are factors - there is also a wealth of material. Different students got different insights, nuances, and perspectives from their time with Tatang and their peers. This book contains facets of the jewel that is KI, that Mang Romy set his mind to acquiring and preserving.

Who this book is not for. It is not a self-defense book - it is about a method for killing a skilled swordsman with your sundang (bolo). In 2021, this should not be a self-defense concern for anyone. It’s also not a how-to book - for most it would be difficult to learn from the book without prior exposure or mentorship from a skilled mentor. While mostly in English (all Visayan and Tagalog is translated) it is also not a light read at times. The writing is precise and uses a large vocabulary to get its points across - I found myself looking words up several times and I read historical sources and academic papers weekly.

The technical part of the book is about the sword system of “Tatang”. Like all of “Tatangs” generation and later, he was skilled with rattan. His students like Yuli Romo, Tony Diego, Chistopher Ricketts, Edgar Sulite, and many others have proven the efficacy of KI for stickfighting. This book is focused on training with and eventually sparring with steel to preserve this method for the future.

Even though the book is 350 plus pages, the technical sections are concise and lucid. The book gives depth to the single and double sword aspects of KI. Not touched deeply are Dos Manos (two-handed weapons), Espada y Daga (sword & dagger), single knife, or Tatang's grappling methods including his disarms. Tatang’s self-defense concepts are also not addressed, sword drawing, nor the many variant techniques & drills developed by his different students. It should be said that Tatang always reacted in the moment - he would break his own rules and do rare variants when appropriate and expedient. This book is about the core techniques of Tatang's method of which there are still many.

I was lucky enough to train with Tatang for two months for 6 days a week (along with daily guidance and instruction from (links deleted) there were things I didn’t pick up on or understand back then (that’s my failing and not my teachers). Like many others I was blown away with “Tatang’s” effortless ability to hit me and not be hit ( he was 70 years older than me at the time) - often in the same beat and with multiple follow up cuts with precision and control. When I tried to get into medio and corto range, his ability to shut down all of my techniques was life-changing.

I think for many the sections on measure (elastico-retirada) and Mang Romy’s distilment of Tatang’s undistinguished 5 Intentions will be worth the price of admission alone. Here the secrets of Tatangs’ ability to-hit and not-be-hit in the same beat and his ability to “make his victims' corto and medio techniques not work” are explained. For me, these sections are gold because it gave me the theoretical framework to work on those skills that had eluded me in the past.

[Personal note: Some of the distinctions and concepts are 180 degrees opposite of things I learned in other FMA systems. Because of my experience with different old men and higher-skilled practitioners over 30 years - I do not think anyone one way is better. I’ve met too many individuals who can make their way work. Still, it takes serious study to rewire skills that are already ingrained. It’s been hard and humbling work - especially while the new skills still are not to my standards when I spar. But when it works - the rewards are worth it.]

In my experience with FMA, I’ve found blade handling and blade engagement skills to be coveted and often secret (or high-priced knowledge) if known at all. In this section nuances and distinctions are described in functional detail. Then, Mang Romy shares his personal shorthand notes of the complete system from the early years when he and Tony Diego were documenting the core techniques of the system.

The book is not a light read - but if you love FMA it’s an important read. It also has extensive footnotes for those who are research-minded. If you train in swordsmanship - especially single-handed weapons of any style - this is a book you want on your bookshelf. For readers of old sword manuals - this is the modern treatise of a living sword system you didn’t know you wanted. I think anyone who has Miyamoto Musashi’s “The Book of Five Rings”, Joachim Meyer’s “Gründtliche Beschreibung der Kunst des Fechtens” or any other sword classic on their bookshelf, needs this book right next to it.

(Advertising with pricing and links deleted)

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2022
  2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP. :)

Mod Note: While reviews are encouraged, please make sure it doesn't cross over into the realm of advertising. Our terms of service are found by clicking on the "terms and rules" button on the bottom right hand corner of every page.

Links promoting others and the book were deleted. If you want to advertise, please contact list owners Mitch or Simon for advertising rates. These rates are used to help keep MAP up and running.