Kage Ryu Embu

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by Dead_pool, May 1, 2010.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Thats one huge sword!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lwp_FU-l6w"]YouTube- Kage Ryu[/ame]

2. Manga

Manga Moved On

That's a very unusual noto. Excellent find Fusen :cool:

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

The noto is because of the length of the sword. Of course you knew that.

However how would you like to draw this one let alone sheath it.:hat:

Attached Files:

4. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Lol, is that from Samurai Banners? (I think that's the name of it)

5. koyo

yep the one starring Toshiro Mifune.

6. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Cool, I'll have to check it out (I've been told about that scene).

7. koyo

It denotes the War banners of Takeda Shingen. I think it is also sold under the Japanese title Furin Kazan.

8. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Is that sword what you would class as a "daito"?

Gary

9. koyo

daito usually denotes the larger of the two swords carried by the samurai the katana the other being the wakizashi short sword or a tanto dagger.

Haven't a clue what that monster would be called.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

11. MeSamurai

MeSamurai New Member Supporter

Koyo, I believe that would be a O(h)-No-Dachi..... :p

12. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

13. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I've been trying to figure out how to work it so I can make the 8 hour drive over there from visiting family up in B.C. Kage ryu sounds MUCH more interesting than hanging out with the mother-in-law! :D

14. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Unless your mother-in-law is a sword art practicioner. I suspect she's not. ;) 8-hour drive? That's nuthin' :D C'mon... I'll meet you at the venue with a case of Red Bull, a pot of hot coffee and some protein bars and you'll be good to go. I'll even call an ambulance if you collapse or somethin'.

All you need is a saya-tsuki-bokken and a maezashi (some folks here are using a kodachi) to tuck in the front of your obi and you're good to go. The bokken doesn't even need to be a big honkin' Kageryu size one either.

Best regards,

-Mark

15. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

So I'm guessing this Kage Ryu is different from the one founded by Kazumi Ise no Kami Nobutsena who was succeeded by Yagyu Munetoshi?

16. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Correct. The other is Shin Kage Ryu... not the same thing.

From Hyoho.com:

"The founder of the Kage-ryu was Yamamoto Hisaya Masakatsu of Akizuki Han.

Akizuki is a part of present day Amagi-shi in Fukuoka. Next to this is Kasuya-gun, the home of the first Lord Tachibana. Yamamoto was a retainer of the clan. The second Lord Tachibana Muneshige moved to the Yanagawa fief in 1590. He had received this land from Hideyoshi Toyotomi, as he had fought with him leading Otomo Bungo’s advanced guard. Naturally Yamamoto went with him when he moved to his aquired fief."

Best regards,

-Mark

17. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Mark,

It was always my understanding that Nobutsena's original art was also called Kage Ryu, with Munetoshi renaming it (and changing it somewhat) Shin Kage Ryu, and finally Munenori adding the Yagyu name (and then Jubei developing sanbyoshi). Anyways, I'm checking my notes...

18. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

So I've checked my notes and that's what I have written down from my last Kenshu course....of course I could have written it down wrong! I looked online and found conflicting information...so interested in what you think of that?
    Thanks!
    A

19. koyo

Kamiizumi Hidetsuna came to fame as the leader of the sixteen spears of Minowa where while the castle was under seige by the samurai of Takeda Shingen he led attack after attack against the Takeda.

The castle fell and Takeda Shingen was so impressed by the bravery of the spearmen that he spared their lives and asked Hidetsuna to join him. Hidetsuna respectfully declined explaining that he was an exponent of Kage ryu swordsmanship and wished to enter into musha shugyo (austere training) to develope his skills.

Takeda was so impressed that he gave him permission and part of his own name. From that day on Hidetsun was known as Nobutsuna .

During his musha shugyo Nobutsuna saved a child from a bandit who had kidnapped him. Rare for a samurai to take action on behalf of commonors. This episode was used by Kurosawa in the film seven samurai.

Nobutsuna named his art Shinkage ryu and through his friendship with Hozoin e of the spearmen of the Hozoin temple was introduced to yagyu Muneyoshi.

It was a student of Nobutsuna who faced Muneyoshi of the Yagyu ryu. Muneyoshi was defeated and became a student of the Shin kage ryu. When Nobutsuna left Muneyoshi added his own influences and the Yagyu shin kage ryu was born.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  20. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

I believe Nobutsuna was the one who shaved his head to act like a priest so the hostage taker would allow him to get close to the place where he was keeping the girl.