K10 championships

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Sonshu, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Anyone see this at the weekend?

If so what were your thoughs?

:D

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Do you mean K1? Looks like I missed it again... was it on Eurosport?

3. xubis

xubis New Member

Yeah Sonshu, I saw it, there were some really boring fight but also some really good ones, that little guy, paul, did really well against the size of the guys he was put against. And yeah KGirl it was on Eurosport

4. Sonshu

KGirl

It is not the K1 kickboxing event it was the K10 (thats how it was written) however they called it the 10K championships.

I thought it was awful if I am honest. I saw a lot of the fights and found it to be very bad. I have not done points sparring in years and was never much cop at it. Guess I am better now though as was only little.

I wonder what detriment that this could have on people self defence as there was no guard, ltd blocking and other worrying things.

Just after views as I am not a points fighter.

:D

5. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

If I'd seen it, I'd give you my views. I've never heard of K10. Sounds like it was very conviently named. Here's a description of it from Eurosports website: "Britain's best come together for one of the richest prizes in the sport's history."

Point sparring karate would hardly make for exicting TV anyway. If karate was to be shown on TV as a commercial sport. it'd have to be full contact knockdown at least, or it'd just be boring.

Sonshu, if you spot anything like this on TV again, can you let me know?

6. Soete-tsuki

Soete-tsuki New Member

I've always found points very strange. I can overpower their block but I score no points =( I'm just not good at it stylistically.

7. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Saw this again tonight, I have to saw (form a completetly biased point of view) booooooooooooooooring.

I just been at a TKD compe at the weekend and no joke, I could picks 4 or 5 jumiors that could hold thier own at this comp.

Now i'm sure there are far better Karate players out thier it's just unfortunate that someone has picked this as an advertisment. i've seen better Karate players in my own area, and at open competitions.

I like to know how these guys were picked? Is there an entry fee or is there a long standing process of elimination. Is there any knockdown on TV??

Kgirl? Any chance of doing a report on the Knowckdown that's in your area this weekend?? Even some video clips of the final would be noice!!! :D

Not asking a lot am I?

8. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Next Knockdown tournament I go to, its a promise :D None this weekend, KD tournaments tend to be sporadic at best :(

If you look in my Gallery, I uploaded some pics from this years British Knockdown Championships.

A quick search on Google brought up nothing for the K10 competion :(

9. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

oi, KGirl! You lie G.I :D

I saw a Knockdown comp advertised in the Llantrisant Leisure Centre for the 29th :D

It was an Open comp too! :D

10. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Just finished watching K10 on British euro sport - I thought it was a little boring a lot of hand tech's not enough feet. But if they would just allow the full contact on tv it might get a better audience & be enjoyed more.:)

11. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Really Tosh? I'll look into that. I've been away from training, so won't have heard of them. If I go to class on Thursday, I may tag along

Cheers :D

12. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Well the only reason I know about it is because we were there this weekend.

Interestingly though it seemed to be quite traditional but yet open to all styles (well Kung-Fu, Karate and TKD! :D) Wicked!

13. zun

zun New Member

Not my kind of thing but if you're interested:

K10 Thursday about 3pm on Eurosport GB

14. happywelshgal

happywelshgal New Member

Just thought I'd give you a little info on the 10k! Its called the 10K cos on the night the winner goes away with £10,000. The evening started with 32 fighters from all styles, knockdown, full contact and semi contact, who were selected from last years tournament and the pre-elims this year and there were wild card entries. I was in the audience for this years 10K and it was a fantastic night. Not boring at all, but the editing of the programme wasn't as good as it couldv'e been. The fighter's were competing by WKF rules, and personally, I thought the standard of competition was excellent, but then I'm used to the rules they were fighting under, and am not used to seeing full contact competitions. Hope this has shed some light on it!

15. Sonshu

Might have been good there

It was lousy TV though and the standard was not very good for the semi's. To me it was just a little to boring and slow.

Glad you enjoyed it though.

16. happywelshgal

happywelshgal New Member

There is an article on the 10K in this months traditional karate if anyone's interested!

17. Paul Herbert

Paul Herbert New Member

I wasted £35 on going to see the 10K at the Mermaid Theartre in London. If you thought it was lousy tv just remember you were shown the highlights!!!!!!
    Don't get me wrong they were all respected athletes but those WKF rules are crap

18. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

What exactly are the WKF rules? I do karate, but we don't use those.

19. Paul Herbert

Paul Herbert New Member

Good question :) I gave up trying to work them out on the night...
    I figured the best way to win under the WKF rules is to act hurt everytime you get scored on and the referee awards you 3 points. People were being penalised for solid punches to the body. Is this a Martial Art?

Anybody got an official rules list for WKF?

20. Paul Herbert

Paul Herbert New Member

Check out www.wkf.net for a full list of the new rules.
    This is the system being used for Karate as an official olympic sport
    :rolleyes: