K1-Kickboxing, Swindon - Any experience?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Matt B, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

Just wondered if anyone trains/has trained there? From the website it looks well organised without being a McDojo type (quite common in Swindon!).

http://www.boxingunlimited.co.uk/about.htm

Cost dependent I'm considering going along to get in some extra training and meet some new people. Also looked at Scorpion gym in the town centre, but can't manage that one so easily (but it looks like a proper fighters gym).

2. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Only thing id say is from the web site the health and safety notice reads to me that they do not have insurance or a correct health and safety scheme in place anyway!

"NOTICE

HEALTH & SAFETY

All forms of martial arts are contact arts. Students and instructors must be aware that the safety within the dojo (place of training) is paramount.

Instructors and students must keep this in mind and ensure that lower graded students are not placed in a position that might cause injury to themselves and others.

Students are responsible for their own safety."

3. twistor59

twistor59 Valued Member

Yes, I train there.
    It is (as it says on the box!) a very friendly and informal club. It's very non-traditional, and feels like a boxing/Muay Thai type place rather than a dojo. No katas. Much of the training is conditioning/pad work. Sparring is light/medium contact, with full sparring gear inc head guards.

Come along and give it a try - first lesson is free anyway.

4. twistor59

twistor59 Valued Member

The club is governed by the Cobra Martial Arts assoc. I think this provides the insurance cover. I've never seen any safety issues at the club, the lessons are very well run in my opinion.

5. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

I just thought posting this :

Students are responsible for their own safety

Is a bit of a strange one as its the instructor who is responsible for your safety.

6. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

Presumably that's like health and safety at work, i.e. you're responsible for your own and other safety.

Twistor59 - cheers. May pop down soon. Need to see if i'll be able to afford it once i've finished buy my house though :(

7. ashleyeagleston

ashleyeagleston New Member

K-1 KICKBOXING

Hi their
    just to inform you that the K-1 Kickboxing Camp in Swindon has got insurance and we always have had insurance .All instructors are first aid qualified and are CRB checked.
    When I quoted on the website that Students are responsible for their own safety one of the aspects of this is if a student has a injury before the class for instance and decides to hide this fact from the instructor for what ever reason it is the student that has put his safety in question not the club, he/she should have told the instructor, we are not mind readers.
    I hope this has given you all a better understandingof what we ment, thank you for your time.

8. ashleyeagleston

ashleyeagleston New Member

Hi their
    just to inform you that the K-1 Kickboxing Camp in Swindon has got insurance and we always have had insurance .All instructors are first aid qualified and are CRB checked.
    When I quoted on the website that Students are responsible for their own safety one of the aspects of this is if a student has a injury before the class for instance and decides to hide this fact from the instructor for what ever reason it is the student that has put his safety in question not the club, he/she should have told the instructor, we are not mind readers.
    I hope this has given you all a better understanding, thank you for your time.