JWT's Jumps

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by John Titchen, Sep 27, 2011.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Saturday 26 January
    2 x 20 minute dog walks
    Stretching
    3 sets Chin Ups
    2 sets pull ups
    Tekki Shodan x 2
    Tekki Nidan x 6
    9 minutes (3 cycles) Tacfit FUBAR Delta (each cycle is 21 Birddogs, 13 climbers, 8 rear rolls, 5 deck squats)
    Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs and grilled bacon
    Lunch: Chocolate protein milkshake
    Evening meal: Roast Lamb, roast potatoes, roast carrots, roast parsnip, green beans, leeks, apple and red currant crumble with custard
    2 glasses red wine

Cal: 2578, Protein: 116g, Carb 173g, Fat 156g

Sunday 27 January
    1 x 25 minute dog walk
    Breakfast: Black Pudding and 6 slices sourdough french toast
    Lunch: Home made onion bhaji, home made mint raita, Home made brownies
    Evening meal: None
    2 Peroni
    Cal: 2010, Protein: 60g, Carb 140g, Fat 115g

Monday 28 January
    1 x 25 minute dog walk
    60 minutes housework

120 minute low intensity paired workout (with Sampsi) including
    Pre-emptive hand striking (thai pads)
    Jab cross (focus mitts)
    Body punches (thai pads)
    Shin Kicks (thai pads)
    1 cycle (3 minutes) Tacfit FUBAR Delta
    15 minutes grappling

Breakfast: Black pudding and 2 fried eggs
    Lunch: Water
    Evening Meal: Home made onion bhajis and Corned beef hash, home made brownies.
    1 Peroni
    Cal: 2578, Protein: 96g, Carb 147g, Fat 171g

Weighed in on the scales at 86.5 Kg today.

2. John Titchen

Tuesday 29 Jan

1 hour DART Coaching
    Forward and Backward Rolls
    Drills against round and straight haymakers
    Pre-emptive striking drills
    Wall drills
    Impact training body punches (thai pads)
    Ground work

Breakfast: Cup of tea, 2 scrambled eggs
    Lunch: Bottle of water, cup of coffee
    Evening meal: 150g breaded haddock, home made brownies, glasses of water

Cal: 1227, Protein: 47g, Carb 85g, Fat 79g

3. John Titchen

Wednesday 30 January

25 minute dog walk x 2
    2 sets tricep press ups
    2 sets dumbbell shoulder press
    3 sets chin ups
    1 hour DART coaching including:
    Forward and backward rolls
    Key punches against Thai pads
    Pre emptive striking drills
    Basic grappling - including wrestling with the 15 yr olds and getting immobilised by one of the 17 yr olds
    1 hour Shotokan coaching (very little movement)
    Syllabus basics combinations

Breakfast: cup of tea, greek yoghurt, raspberries, pecan nuts
    Lunch: Tuna and mayonnaise on mixed grain toast
    Evening meal: Chinese takeaway. Chicken, squid, rice and noodle dishes.
    1 light beer
    Cal: 3355, Protein 252g, Carb 205g (gulp), Lipids 171g

Thursday 31 January

Breakfast: Greek yoghurt, pecan nuts, brazil nuts, cup of tea
    Lunch: Tuna and cucumber ciabatta
    Evening Meal: Singapore noodles and chicken takeaway leftovers
    1 glass red wine late evening
    Cal: 1403, Protein 46g, Carb 80g, Lipids 90g

Friday 30 January

25 minute dog walk
    5 minutes rowing (gentle)
    3 sets abdominal lifts
    3 sets triceps press ups
    Shotokan roundhouse practise

Breakfast: Cup of tea
    Lunch: Fish and chips, Scampi, Marathon bar
    Evening Meal: Home made corned beef hash, baked orange and syrup sponge with cream.
    Cal: 2902, Protein 97g, Carb 258g (gulp!), Lipids 252g

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

How many repetitions are you doing for your sets if you don't mind me asking? Also, what are dog walks? For a second I thought you were logging in daily activity/movement for a calorie counting and you started your day off with walking the dog :p

5. John Titchen

Reps vary according to how I'm fitting in the sets and which exercise I'm doing, plus whether the weight I'm using is new. I used to always use a weight with which I could do 3 reps of 10. I've now switched to aiming for a 5 x 5 approach, time depending. I recently got some new light weights which have given me more loading flexibility alongside my old concrete weights, but I'll soon have to buy some more.

I don't go to a gym and fit my reps in while I'm working from home throughout the day, often in breaks away from the keyboard if I'm doing admin.

Abdominal exercises:
    Crunches (until failure)
    Oblique Crunches (20)
    Abdominal lifts (20)
    Leg extensions (40)

Flys: sets of 6
    Shrugs: sets of 4-6
    Press ups: I have a mental block, so I usually count to 20, then start counting again - a silly trick but it works and means I stop on about 40-50 rather than give up earlier.
    Clapping press ups: only about 10.
    Shoulder press: 5
    Chin ups: 10, something I'm working on
    Pull ups: 8, again some thing that needs more work

Dog walks are walking the dog. :) (seen here in black and tan)

I can't log all my movements (walking back and forth, up and down stairs, carrying kit bags to and from the car - sometimes 100m), but if I do a sustained period of low intensity exercise like walking the dog or washing the floor etc then I'll log it. I do that because such exercise does have implications for my overall health.

I'm fully aware that how I'm approaching my lifting isn't necessarily the best way to gain strength, but I'm balancing it against a number of chronic medical conditions.

Attached Files:

6. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Nice photo! They seem quite happy.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for taking the time to write all you did in that reply! Got me on the right page of thinking when I'm reading your log.

One thing that a lot of people miss is that sustained movement, whether it's cleaning, walking your dogs, or even making sure you get up and walk 2-3 times a day contributes a good amount to your overall health. Exercise can sometimes be overrated as far as health goes because you can workout for an hour a day, but do a job sitting for 9 hours a day, and the 9 hours of sitting has a much larger detrimental effect on your health then the benefit of an hour of exercise!

I also wanted to make a suggestion if I can, and that would be to buy a cheap pedometer to wear during the day. If you ever get tired of logging all your activity in you can always use the pedometer to reference how much you have moved around that day, and it will also keep track of all the movement you don't feel is log worthy. You can also set progressive goals on how many steps you want to achieve that day or within a week for a different form of goal setting as far as total amount of activity goes.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I tell ya...after having dogs for 10+ years, and only for the last half a year not having one, I've really noticed a deterioration.
    Like John I used to do at least half an hour round the fields every day and now I don't I can feel my feet and other joints suffering. I'm getting a bit paunchy too. :(

9. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

This none of my business, but for conversation sake, why are you tracking your calories? The reason I ask is that I track my calorie intake as you know, and it's very important depending on your reasons to get an accurate count. Protein, carbs, alcohol, and fat have varying amounts of calories per gram. So looking at your totals it seems the calculations are off.

Protein is 4 calories per gram, Carbs are 4 calories per gram, Lipids are 9 calories per gram, and Alcohol is 7 calories per gram.

So on Wednesday Jan. 30 I have you at 3479 calories, Thursday at 1380 calories, and Friday 3688.

Again not trying to come off as pedantic, but I've found it imperative for me to accurately track the caloric intake in order to get the desired affect that I want to achieve YMMV.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  10. John Titchen

The nutritional data comes from cronometer based upon the individual recipes and food amounts I put in. I've no reason to doubt the data's accuracy, the software is supposed to know the precise nutritional breakdown of a huge range of prepared and raw ingredients. :)

I don't believe in generic figures for cal per gram of protein, fat, carb etc. That data is bound to differ according to the structure of different types of food. As an example 100g of cod will have a different protein gram level to 100g of tuna, but I also wouldn't expect the two to have the same calorific value even if I compared equal gram amounts of protein from the two sources, the structure will differ and that in turn will affect the calorific level.

I'm tracking calories right now as I'm trying to maintain a deficit of about 4000 per week. This hasn't been a good week! :) More importantly though I'm endeavouring to keep daily carbs below 100g most days of the week.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  11. John Titchen

Saturday 2 February

Not the healthiest of days.

25 minute dog walk
    5 minutes rowing (gentle)
    4 sets press ups
    4 sets shoulder press
    Tekki Nidan/Kiba Dachi Nidan - 1 hour
    Jion - first half - 20 minutes

Breakfast: Cup of tea, Black Pudding and fried eggs
    Lunch: Cabbage soup, syrup sponge with cream
    Evening Meal: Roast Brisket, Yorkshire Pudding, Roast Parsnips, Roast Potatoes, Carrots, Brocoli, Green Beans, Gravy, Brie
    Syrup sponge with cream
    1/2 beer
    2 glasses G&T
    3 glasses red wine
    1 glass port

12. John Titchen

Sunday 3 February

2 hours coaching Shotokan Karate, working with the 8-5 Kyu students. A nice solid gymnastic workout.

On the negative side I continued to demonstrate a full speed over the top palm up backfist to the front while watching the class moving behind me. Hyperextension and a torn up and very tender forearm as a result. The joint is fine, general flex and extension okay, but rotation of the wrist (palm down to palm up) and any weight bearing is very painful. I can't take anti-inflamatories. :mad:

Breakfast: Cup of tea.
    Linch: thin crust large pizza, light salad, ice cream factory x 2 (guilty as charged)
    Evening meal: Protein shake, Marathon.

13. John Titchen

Monday 4 February

Woke up this morning and the arm wasn't good. Extension painful as well as rotation. The pain has lessened during the day but I decided to cancel a planned two hour training session and rest. So caught up with admin that I didn't do any other exercise.

20 minute dog walk.

Breakfast: 100g Black Pudding, cup of tea.
    Lunch: Nothing. I got too tied up writing a letter - it took me 6 hours. :(
    Evening meal: Home made cottage pie with green beans and broccoli, home made orange and syrup sponge.

Cal: 1720
    Protein 86g, Carb 134g, Lipids 93g.

14. John Titchen

Update.

Arm still not fantastic. I can now rotate the forearm and clench/lock at the end of the rotation at medium speed, but full speed is still a no go area. The pain manifests more the greater the extension of the arm. Palm down rotation is fine, palm up rotation is the painful one.

I've tried light weights, but I can't extend into a shoulder press, pull up on a bar, or do a bicep curl with the arm yet.

Training over the last two weeks has mainly consisted of my doing light coaching in classes. At home I've been doing abdominal/core exercises, bodyweight squats, low stance transitions, kicking and stretching (plus press ups - I can extend to press ups now). In line with something I've been working on I've been spending a lot of time in the kitchen and living room revising old Shotokan forms that I've not done for years. Last week I spent time revising Jion (modern Kanazawa version), Jitte (same), Tekki Nidan (my hybrid version of old Shotokan arms and modern Shotokan legs), Empi (Kanazawa version) and Empi (1930s Funakoshi version). This week I've continued to work on those but spent time on Jiin (my take on the modern Kanazawa version with the opening arm position reversed to mirror Jion so that it has the distinctive Tomari Te signature move as opposed to the dubious JKA version), Tekki Sandan (1930s Funakoshi version) and Sochin (Kanazawa version).

15. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Speedy and full recovery to you, jwt.

16. John Titchen

Arm still not fully healed but I've started to lift weight with it, albeit a much lighter weight than normal and I can't do every movement with it.

Had a nice light training session with Mitch and Sampsi yesterday.
    1130-1300 Training
    1300-1415 Me Lecturing
    1415 - 1645 Training

We worked systematically through the first four modules of the DART syllabus. The pace was light and the focus on little elements within the drills and the rationale behind them. I think we actually spent 60 minutes on the drill below, though we did cover more detail on it than the video:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  17. John Titchen

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  18. John Titchen

It has been ages since I've updated this.

I'm currently waiting for surgery and dealing with chronic pain, so taking it fairly easy. My current schedule is as follows:

Monday: 2 x 20 minute dog walks, 60 minutes weights at the gym, 60 minute Shotokan Karate class.
    Tuesday: 2 x 20 minute dog walks, 30-60 minutes personal training, 90 minute DART Karate class.
    Wednesday: 2 x 20 minute dog walks, 60 minutes weights at the gym, 60 minute DART Karate class.
    Thursday: 2 x 20 minute dog walks, 30-60 minutes personal training, 60 minute Shotokan Karate class, 60 minute DART Karate class.
    Friday: 2 x 20 minute dog walks, 60 minutes weights at the gym, 60 minutes personal training.
    Saturday: 2 x 20 minute dog walks, 60 minutes personal training, a seminar or a day off.
    Sunday: 2 x 20 minute dog walks, 60 minutes personal training, a seminar or a day off (a day off on Saturday means a day 'on' on Sunday.

19. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I gotta ask, what's the difference between you hitting weights at the gym and your personal training sessions? What sorts of exercises are you doing as well?

20. John Titchen

Personal training sessions are martial arts focused, so I may do a bit of core work but predominantly I'm working on balance, weight transition in stepping and turning, striking biomechanics etc.