JWT's Jumps

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by John Titchen, Sep 27, 2011.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I decided to join the merry throng posting details of their training.

Like Simon, I'm getting on a bit, carrying a number of old injuries from two decades of training, and if I added in the ages of all the different people whose organs keep me alive I'm in my ninth decade. Some days it really feels that way.

This isn't going to be a log about how long, how hard, how fast, or how heavy I can go. I have a very varied (almost whimsical) approach to my personal physical training these days, so what I'm going to try and do is record what I'm doing and also (to me of equal importance) what I'm eating (and drinking). Having to be honest about that may even be good for me. :)

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Looking forward to reading this. :)

3. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

John, please do a lot less than I do because otherwise I'll start getting jealous and then I'll have to do more exercise then I'll start hating you then I'll have to order a ninja hit squad and you know how much they cost and if they fail then I'll have to get a nuclear device from some load of terrorists or other and that means travelling and more expense and whilst I'm travelling I won't be able to train so I'll get more out of shape and the cost of nuclear devices these days - heck I won't be able to afford my gym membership....

So... please be kind and think before posting.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Seriously, looking forward to reading your posts.

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

What do you mean it's not going to be about how heavy/fast etc? Boooooooooring!

(however, I am still looking forward to reading this one)

:p

5. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Great, another log to follow. Welcome to the section.

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to Hell...!

Good to have you posting in here! :)

7. John Titchen

You mean it wasn't your ninja squad I dealt with a few years ago?

I'll put up the day's training when I've taught class.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nice, a kindred spirit.

What I say to the teenagers is; "come back when you're 45 and do what I do."

I too look forward to reading this log.

9. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I need to remember that one. I am pretty close in age to you and have to say I am damn glad to have gotten back into some shape after letting myself go for a decade. Amazing how much easier it is to be the fittest guy from your age group in the room after 40. I feel bad for many of our peers who look terrible and must feel the same (like me a few years ago).

10. John Titchen

Todays training...

Not going too heavy. I'm relaxing after running a camping trip for 151 Cadets last weekend - 120 camping military style for the first time. I don't exercise in one set routine - I do bits throughout the day when I want to take a break from something else.

Breakfast - not a good start - just a cup of white tea.

30 minute cross country walk with the dog.
    3 sets maximum width full ROM Lat pull ups in between times on the computer

Late midday - bad snack - whole packet of honey roasted peanuts.

3 sets palm facing pull ups - full ROM
    3 sets shrugs
    1 set straight crunches
    2 minutes light shadow boxing (interrupted by dog)
    5 minutes ball game (reaction working) with dog
    1 minute tug of war with dog

Mid afternoon snack - handful of raspberries, handful of blueberries, half handful of walnuts, heaped handful of brazil nuts, 3 generous tablespoons of greek yoghurt.

1 set maximum width full ROM Lat pull ups
    1 set oblique crunches each side
    3 sets leg extension abdominal exercise

1/2 bowl belly pork celery and green pepper casserole.

Coached 1 hour class. Moved for 1/3 class including joining in pad drills.
    20 minutes ground fighting with assistant instructor after class.

1/2 pint lager shandy

Large bowl belly pork celery and green pepper casserole.

Probably drank 4 pints of water throughout the day.

11. John Titchen

The airedale wanted in on the thread - just so you know that there's a purpose to the tugs of war.

Attached Files:

12. John Titchen

Wednesday 28 September

Felt a little stiff in the shoulders first thing so after a cup of white tea I did 3 minutes gentle rowing on the ergo.

30 minute cross country dog walk.

Breakfast: Handful of blueberries, handful of raspberries, half handful of whole almonds, half handful of walnuts, handful of brazil nuts, 3 heaped tablespoons of greek yoghurt. 3 rashers of grilled back bacon.

Lunch: 1 slice vanilla cake and cup of white tea in a meeting (cake for charity).

Mid afternoon - 1 hour DART Class. Quite a busy class in a hot building - moving continuously between coaching 4 different groups of students. Demonstrated quite a bit of padwork and did a number of break falls & rolls. Worked up quite a sweat. Managed to cut my knuckles on a helmet. :(

3 pints of water

1 set pressups - close arms, tricep focus
    2 sets leg extension abdominal exercises

Evening meal: Home made cottage pie (with grated carrots, beetroots and parsnip in the beef and onion mix) with broccoli covered with grilled cheddar cheese. 2 pints of water (ignored the peroni's in the fridge's siren song)

2 sets leg extension abdominal exercises

1 Almond magnum (laced with guilt).

3 minutes tug of war with the airedale.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  13. John Titchen

4 squares dark chocolate - shocking lack of self control. :Angel:

14. John Titchen

Thursday 29 September
    (day off)

Breakfast: cup of white tea, 3 egg mushroom omlette, banana.

Lunch: Glass of water, 2 bourbon biscuits, half a dairy milk bar - all I could find in the office with 2 mins to eat.

1 hour weapon handling drills.

2 pints water

1 minute slow flinch drills.
    4 minutes fast flinch drills.

Evening meal: 2 Salmon fillets baked with green beans, cherry tomatoes, black olives and anchovies.
    Pint of water

1 almond magnum ice cream.

3 sets leg extension abdominal exercises.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  15. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

What are "flinch drills"?

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

jwt, maybe flinch drills would make a good new thread.

17. John Titchen

Just general combative drills - not weights.

I did two different drills (1a and 1b)
    1a. Flinch duck and cover, push to back of attacker's head and follow (if necessary) with knee strike or shin roundhouse. As a drill it involves lots of leg flexion, hip movement, torso bending and rotation, neck, head, arm and shoulder movement.
    1b. Flinch duck and thrust into attacker with both forearms and palms (like in Heian Yondan) followed by Knee strike and turn.

I switch between evading left and right punches, straight and round punches and vary between using orthodox or southpaw initial positions with both sides of attack, and between using forward or rear leg for the leg strikes.

18. John Titchen

Fair point. I'll have to see about recording some of them solo. I do have warts and all footage of paired versions.

You can see student AK doing drill 1b at 0:07. He does mess it up under more pressure. [WARNING: Lots of swearing in this one!]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKjDLaDbKfY"]Sim day 2 Student AK - YouTube[/ame]

Me doing the same drill at 3:04 below
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvCov1c7z1w"]DART - YouTube[/ame]

Students doing Drill 1a in the above video at 2:31.

Obviously I'm doing these fast without armour, without a training partner, just visualising where the other guy is etc...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011
  19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ahem...I distinctly remember getting some friendly ribbing when ordering a lager shandy the last time I trained with you John.

20. John Titchen

I actually ordered two half pints, but the guy gave us (and charged) for two shandies. I didn't feel it was worth making a fuss over - he was having so much trouble with the pump. I'd probably burned enough calories to make up for that evil lemonade. :)