Just wondering...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Sean O, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean O

Sean O New Member

Everyone here seems to be completely against weight lifting for cosmetic reasons. While I don't do this, I just want to know why you guys think this is such a bad idea? (I know that it's not the best way for a martial artist to do things, but what if the person you're trying to help really wants to do it to build huge muscles?)

2. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm for starting i m not agianst weight lifting... because i myself do ;)
    there can be instance where i might go against weight lifting like doing excercises for thighs when i hav good thighs from my other training...
    i m not sure if building huge muscles make u slow in MA n i don't care about this... i hav ppl told me that fat guys can't move fast hell to them, i hav gained over 12 kg and i m still fast(not faster) n more powerful than i used to be... my teacher is about 20 kgs overweight n is fastest... so acc to my experience it' does nothing..
    i hav bench pressed 100 kgs(around) n havn't felt like i lost any speed power or watever i didn't want to loose...
    it's very much personal goal
    find out wat u want and then work towards it...
    -TkdWarrior-

3. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Sure, you don't! :D

4. Cain

Cain New Member

No there's nothing wrong with it as long as you don't do martial arts

Some people are just too bulky because of their size making MA study almost mpossible [except maybe aikido ;) ]I mean look at Arnold or Ade Rai

Seriously speaking The only trouble with bodybuilding is asking about it in a martial arts forum :D

I can't go too much into the technical details since I don't know that much about it, but I am sure Yoda will come armed with a great big article :D

|Cain|

5. Jazman

Jazman New Member

Weightlifting should pose no problem to MAists. However, many people who do weightlifting for cosmetic reasons try to get excessively bulky and tend no to stretch thouroghly. You still can weightlift for bulk though, stretching is the only key. If bulkiness was a problem then overweight people like TKDWarrior would have alot of problems :)

6. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<If bulkiness was a problem then overweight people like TKDWarrior would have alot of problems >

lol yea u know there r things which i can't do but one of my freind who overwieghs me too about 20+ kgs ... like 180 jump kick, n other flying kicks. :D that guy wanted to do it n after lots of practice he CAN do it now... how's that for a change?

-TkdWarrior-

7. Labatt

Labatt New Member

The thing MA should not do is bodybuild.

We should have a combat fighting routine, mixed in with core lifts to get you huge.

8. r4bid

r4bid New Member

what exactly do you consider weight lifting for cosmetic reasons?

I can probably give you a nice answer once you explicate that.

9. Sean O

Sean O New Member

Sorry, I was away on vacation.

By cosmetic reasons, I mean bodybuilding (I would have said that, but apparently even trying to get a little more buff is bad too). As far as whats been said so far, I agree with jazman that as long as you stretch, bodybuilding shouldn't be too much of a problem for a martial artist. It just seems odd that whenever someone mentions bodybuilding on these forums, they get practically torn to shreds by everyone.

10. r4bid

r4bid New Member

Sean: I dont' get that sentiment at all. I can't remember a single thread like that... Most of the people here believe that you should lift to gain strength as this is a martial arts forum and strength is important in the martial arts. If you do that you will build a nice body, the two go hand in hand.

11. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Yeah, peoople get torn to sheds when they mention body building (usually by YODA) and meandoing bicep curls, flyes, etc. etc, training 6x days a week...

12. r4bid

r4bid New Member

Thats not "body building" thats just silly lifting. Most of the routines at the body building sites I frequent are almost exactly like the one Yoda reccomended to Sean back a few months ago...

13. Sean O

Sean O New Member

Well, the exercises and the number of days you work out per week don't really make it bodybuilding, its how much weight you use and how many sets and reps you do per exercise.

Believe me, this supposed to be a way to make bodybuilding look better then everyone makes it out to be so I can start working towards making Schwarzenegger looking like a dwarf without feeling guilty about it. I use the routine yoda gave me just the way he told me to (although I take 1 days rest rather than 2, and him and I have revised the exercises a little, but oh well), and I am getting good results. This was just me wondering why the word "bodybuilding" brings up such a bitch from everyone. (Not sure if I'm allowed to say bitch, so please excuse me if I'm not.)

14. r4bid

r4bid New Member

your using one day rests? If you are using the proper amount of weight you shouldn't be able to even do half of the routine after just resting one day...
    Your muscles grow during the days you do not work them out, if you want to get big take the two days rest.

15. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Bravo r4bid :D

Less is more.

16. Cain

Cain New Member

Hi Sean,

Even I have been using two days rests and believe me I have seen a really noticable difference in the size of my thighs and shoulders, and r4bid is rite you won't be able to lift much using the next workout, well atleast not me :D

Man this thing really helped me, I have been able to do more frog jumps in my class than I ever thought possible

|Cain|

17. THEGREAT1

THEGREAT1 New Member

core lifts on their own (as a weight lifting exercise) do not make you huge due to the lack of range.

and body building should have no effect on you as a martial artist aslong as you use a full range of motion and workout properly.

people with the wrong programs and technique etc will suffer without a doubt.

done properly there should be zero problem.

18. r4bid

r4bid New Member

Yoda: I learn from the best hehe.

19. Cain

Cain New Member

I can see his cheeks turning red from all that blushing :D

|Cain|

20. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Sean,you seem to ask many questions but disagree with all of the answers, if you are able to rest only 1 day then you are doing something wrong because the muscle I believe tears itself and while you are resting gets stronger so it can get torn again and get stronger etc, If you are not resting it is not helping you at all, Yoda gives really good advice and you should listen to him because he is obviously very experienced and he knows what he is talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.