Just wanted to share this video

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Tom bayley, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I found this video by accident.

It provides some really nice insights. Just wanted to share.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I have said on here many, many times that pro-wrestling was physically the most demanding training I have ever done...It's why I love it so much as a fan

pgsmith and Dead_pool like this.
  3. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I wasn't aware that you had Professional Wrestling training. Did you ever do any shows?

I used to be really into Pro Wrestling in my youth. At one point, I actually considered it a viable career option!

I'm pretty sure I would not have had the discipline to complete that training back in the day.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Harry Smith is Hannibal's catch wrestling coach and close friend.

Harry Smith

19554453_10154800035505872_1818187624822852100_n.jpg

Hannibal likes this.
  5. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

That's an impressive Wrestling pedigree that Harry Smith has.

My interest in Pro Wrestling peaked in the 1990's, when Davey Boy Smith and the Hart Foundation were a prominent force in the WWF.

Simon likes this.
  6. Hannibal

Harry has taught me Catch, my actual pro training was about 6 months under Dynamite Dan and Ravenous Randy Myers...it was at the same gym that Stampede trained out of in the same ring Hogan, Andre, Brett, Davey and so many others bumped in

pgsmith likes this.
  7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Imagine how hard Olympic Competitors train!

Hannibal likes this.
  8. Hannibal

Actually LESS believe it or not....well than the top tier pros anyway

Mushroom likes this.
  9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I've done a few sessions of pro wrestling in East London. My friends are now performing at shows. The training I didn't mind, it's very similar to stuntman training and obviously the performance aspect of it.

What got me, was the "rules" and conduct of performing the moves. It's very different to play fighting with your Brothers and Sister's. Over acting the strikes etc, but actually there's so much more within the culture, the story telling within it etc.

Very interesting stuff.

pgsmith likes this.
  10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Turns out I've actually wrestled (freestyle) with a good guy who's a heavyweight in pro wrestling. I hope he can do something with it.

Mushroom likes this.
  11. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Who knew so much went into getting slapped in the face while somoneshouts strange and unusal insults at you while you both wear spandex. :p

Does pro wresltign refer to basically WWE style things at this point or am i missing soemthing? I am quite foriegn to the back doors of wrestling.

12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Actually, quite a lot of us knew it was an incredibly complex and grueling performance art that requires hours and hours of hard training. Saying you just need to put on spandex and slap people is like saying anyone can be in the Bolshoi Ballet just by putting on a tutu and tiptoeing around. COME ON

Hannibal likes this.
  13. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I mean, you can be in said ballet, you can blend in at least. If you are any good at it because you put ons aid tutu is another matter, the soes at least can be made to teach you ballet some how. (because science/magic) :p Imagine showing up to a pro wrestling match in a suit, barbaric. I pay for spandex or nothing!

Why do i think i have had this argument before, i swear this is familiar. Not citing anything to this cite, but is wear i had a similar argument on wrestling or saw one. It is really weird, daja vu moment harcore.

14. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Maybe it’s because you keep pooh-poohing the training and work it takes to excel at things you don’t personally do. From firearms training to professional wrestling to ballet (yes, even if you’re in the ensemble instead of a solo), these are areas where you need hours and hours and hours of hard work go be good, and many times that to be great. Belittling the efforts of others who are busting their butt to be good at what they do is never going to win you respect.

Hannibal and Dead_pool like this.