Just started Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Anwolf, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

I recently started learning Eskrima, and there are a few questions I would like to ask.

How many times a week should I train? I currently only do it once a week, so I don't think I will be able to advance as quickly.

Also, if I have just started, is it a good idea to wait a while before starting a different martial art, so I do not get the techniques confused between both of them.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Hi Anwolf,

1) At least twice a week, preferably 3 times in the beginning unless you do a LOT of practice at home

2) It depends - Sometimes it is best to learn one before you start to spread your wings, but if you can only train in Escrima once a week there is no harm in taking another style.

Welcome to MAP

3. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

I should be practicing at home as well?

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Anwolf, practice at home, but stick to what you have been taught in order to get it right.

If you train with Nimesh you are not to far from me. I have a couple of classes you could attend.

5. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

I'm thinking of going to weekend sessions as well, because at the moment the sessions I go to are based at my school ((his son goes to my school)) and he wants us to go to the weekend ones as well so we don't forget everything over the holidays.

6. jonwade

jonwade Valued Member

With martial arts it really is the more the better. When I started I used to train twice a week in the club then that increased to 3 classes a week, plus my own training.

When I used to train every day (mostly just forms) I noticed huge improvements, and then when I stopped that daily training I declined pretty quick all round, even though was still going to classes.

7. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

Did you train at an actual dojo when you did it every day? Or was it more of a practice in your backgarden thing

8. Simon

Anwolf, here is a video of Nimesh training with GrandMaster Danny Guba at Seni last year.

Nimesh and GM Danny are from 1.30.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyjFATC3gvo"]‪Grandmaster Danny Guba Doce Pares Eskrima Kali Arnis demonstration at The SENI 2010 - London EXCEL‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

9. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

Danny Guba is the one in yellow right?
    Also, do you have your own pair of rattan sticks? If so, can you link me to a good manufacturer, as I would like my own to practice with over summer, and my current lessons are finished for now so I cannot get a pair from master desai ((it feels weird calling him that :S ))

10. Simon

Yes GM Danny Guba is the one in the yellow, you will definately get to train with him.

For sticks visit Apex Martial Arts. The site is run by Doce Pares Eskrima Guys. The guys/girls in the video actually.

http://www.apex-suppliers.com/Orders.html

11. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

Ok, thanks. The problem will be convincing my parents to get them for me....

12. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

Whats the difference between Basiko and Skinned Palasan? I've used both during training but I didn't realise they were different types.

13. Simon

Just get yourself a basic basiko stick (or two) and practice your twirling.

Doce Pares is big on twirling to educate the hand, arm, wrist and body. Correct lines and fluidity is what you need. Power comes later.

Here is a video of my son at your age. Notice the fluidity. Linking one move into another.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SimonSheridan1#p/a/u/2/cyB_4-r6iyg

14. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

What form/count is that? Or is it just a bunch put together?
    Also, It turns out I already had pretty good wrist flexibility cause I play badminton a lot, so that helps.

15. Simon

That is just random movement.

16. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

I've ordered the sticks.

17. Simon

Cool, you just need to practice the basics now.

18. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

How long does it normally take for the sticks to be delivered?

19. Simon

I have just received mine from Apex and they took about a week.

20. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

:( I was hoping for a bit quicker than that. Ah well, I can wait