Just started jogging with a backpack full of weights

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ShadowHawk, Aug 5, 2011.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

So...you're going to wait until you suffer a serious injury before you listen to the advice you've been given?

Smart.

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It helps you in destroying your knees more quickly.

[​IMG]

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Why the hell would you start something without prior thought to what effect it will have and what area you want to improve?

Sounds like you need to have a serious sit down with your self

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

5. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

You know, I used to run with a heavy pack back when I was a young teenager as well. Let me save you a lot of pain. Don't do it, because your knees will crap out. Walking with a heavy pack now, that's a different matter. Your pack should, however, be full of clothes, food and camping equipment- that's a really good time. And it'll probably be just as heavy. I miss hiking.

6. Try a bridge!

osu!

7. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

ok thanks guys

8. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Something you can try, as mention before in the thread, is HIIT, or High Intensity Interval Training. Some advantages of doing such method of exercising is:

1. Increasing your VO2 Max
      Basically the amount of oxygen you can uptake during exercise or sport. In other words, you'll be in better shape for that basketball game. It's much more physically demanding then slow cardio (ex jogging), takes less time, and while there are still health issues (as with any exercise), it's (IMO) a helluva lot better then killing your knees through weights.

2. Training our body to run
      Unless your a marathon runner, most of the sports you do won't really require to go at one pace (though there are exceptions). An example is a basketball game. You will have to change gears, be it jogging back onto defense or sprinting down during a fast break to score a lay up. Jogging at one pace isn't going to work quite well, and it might **** of your teammates.

3. Helps with prevention of muscle mass lose
      Long duration light-moderate cardio (ex. jogging for 45 minutes at a pace where you can hold a conversation) puts you in a catabolic state, which will result in the beginning of lose of muscle mass.

Got information from here. Below link has more information so you can click if you are interested. Google, or any other search engine works quite well as well.

http://ca.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_100/135_fitness_tip.html

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

if you want to run a bit faster, it's not a bad idea to include a session of shuttle runs. Try the 60 yard shuttle:
    set up markers at 5, 10, and 15 yards. Sprint to 5, then to 10, then to 15, then to 10 and 5 again. Take a minute off and do it again, twice.
    Alternatively, you can set markers at 10,20 and 30.
    Or try the 300-yard shuttle:
    just set up two markers 30 yards apart, and sprint like hell between them 10 times. Do not pace yourself- go as fast as you can. Warning- it's a killer. I have seen little yellow lights in my vision after having done this exercise.
    Warm up well before doing any of these, by the way.
    Oh, one final thing. You'll do better to do high-intensity cardio once a week and keep jogging away for the rest of the week. High intensity cardio inflicts a huge amount of stress on the body and can interfere with your recovery.