Just started jogging with a backpack full of weights

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ShadowHawk, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

What does this do? As in how can this help me improve in what category

It sure as hell tires me out quicker, but it feels much better at the end than just a long jog does.

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I give your knees a fortnight.

3. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

How much weight?

Keep good posture or your lower back will cop it also.

:cool:

4. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Question is how long have you started doing this? if you just started it with weight from the jump, you will most definitely cause skeletal and muscular injuries that will hamper you in the long run.. I would suggest that you start with a brisk walk first, then sprint a bit and after a predetermined distance, I would go back to the brisk walk.. Also how much weight are you humping? It is always best to start with a small amount of weight and then put in a different amount of weight after you don't feel as winded or tired after a while with the initial weight.. This is something that a lot of the individuals who work with this concept does when they first start out.. I have even seen it done with active duty military to build cardio and over all muscular development.

I walk with a ruck with about 35-40lbs in it on a routine basis.

5. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I kept good posture, leaning forward, I got the idea from the military . I started with just 25lbs in the backpack I only weigh 155 . I dont feel anything wrong in my knees or back. I have been jogging since forever and I needed this (at least i felt like I did) to give myself a boost and surprisingly I was able to push myself almost as much as I usually do when jogging my route. Just took more breaks in between catching my breath. I recover pretty quick even with the backpack on

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Yeah, cos veterans are well known for having healthy knees.

You want to make running harder? Try running faster.

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Hmm. Can anyone tell me what would be a good weight to run with? Not because I want to start running with dumbbells or anything, but because I run into work and have to carry a backpack.

Not running with anything particularly heavy, just a laptop, change of clothes and stuff for a shower. I've not felt any pain or irritation, and have been doing this for months now, but this thread has got me wondering if I should go and get checked out.

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

The thing with the military is that they walk initially with a heavy pack then slowly increase pace and weight over time. they run on dirt too.
    a low weight should be fine if its just necessities to work.
    just make sure that the back pack distributes weight evenly across your back.

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Should be fine then - it's a proper running backpack designed to distribute the weight as evenly as possible, one of those that fasten around the chest and stomach.

10. holyheadjch

Should also point out that the Military don't run with weight because it's good for you. They run with weight because it's necessary.

11. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Stick to interval training. I've never ran with weights but doing several 100m sprints is a pain in the ****, legs, and pretty much every other body part.

12. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Running up hills may be a good substitute for the weighted backpack.

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Perhaps this should be moved to the "what not to do" section

14. holyheadjch

Yeah, no one is ever going to accuse hill sprints of being anything other than hardcore.

15. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

And if you don't have access to a decent hill, try running up stairs instead.

16. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Stairs make baby Bunny cry. :(

17. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

are you guys serious? I figured this is just how fat guys felt when they run?

after I take off my backpack I feel light as a feather

no hills in s.florida sorry

So should I just tie a car tire to my waist and run with that?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

What speed are you currently running a mile in?

19. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Exactly. Progression is key here. Even at bodyweight, many people who decide to start running end up with any number of knee, ligament, tendon or other issues because your cardiovascular limit isn't the only one that will limit progress. This is why so many beginner running programs often include more walking than actual running, by slowly building progression your body can adapt far better.

In my personal opinion, if I wanted to run with a weighted pack I would split my training between running and strength work with minimal running with an external weight. Concentrating on the two facets separately will build a better base more efficiently without the risk of a weight with a movement lagging your own. At the point the weight is at it's lowest you will have started to move back up on the movement, increasing the force at that point. Add to that the repition of hundreds or thousands of times, always only through one leg and it's easy to see why injury is such a risk.

20. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I havent timed my mile. But I am no begginer to running or jogging. I just started this new method recently and am feeling great and getting good results. I run with the wheighted backpack at night and I already feel my kicks getting faster. I jog in the daytime normally.

I dont have any tightness or pain in knees or back so far. Have been doing this for a week.