Just some Q's...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Razgriz, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

So start of November I'll be back home for a month. I wan't to sustain the pretty clean diet I have maintained out here. Which at the moment is consisting of,

poached eggs
    Grilled chicken/Fish/Tuna
    Raw Spinach,onions,tomatos,peppers.
    Brown rice
    Soya Milk

Out here obviously meals are cooked for you and when I get back home this won't be the case!

So im thinking of bulk buying chicken breasts and freezing. Eggs,the veg and brown rice are easy enough.

When im back home as opposed to the very weight heavy regime I have out here it will be following the gym jones no gear workout. Along with swimming 1 mile, followed by a 8 mile run home. 3 times a week.

Whats the consensus on soya milk something worth continuing?

And I plan on stocking up on these as an essential part of my diet.
    http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/instant-oats/10529296.html

Outside of that im looking at almond butter, any experiences?

In short I have a month of in which I want to capatalise on especially on my cardio side getting away from the weights for a bit. Due to a lack of local gym. So I realise this will require a lot of fuel to keep going especially without burning muscle which I do not want to do.

Sorry for the messy post,
    thanks in advance

Raz

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

What about potatoes, bananas and dried fruits there tastier and more nutritious than brown rice and oats?

Have the brown rice and oats sometimes then the other things sometimes if you like them.

Maybe try difficult bodyweight exercises to keep you muscle.

3. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

My issue with fruit is the sugar :(

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

The brown rice and oats have phytic acid which can cause zinc and iron deficiencies. Probably all foods have something wrong.

5. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Why the soy milk?

6. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Read somewhere its healthier.

Im trying to keep pretty paleo. With a re-feed day once a week to 2 weeks.

Raz

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

this is all you eat? paleo or not, i'm pretty sure there are lots more vegetables you could and should be eating.

your diet makes me sad.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  8. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I haven't tried such an experiment, but I can say that you should use the frozen meat as quickly as possible. Leaving it too long gives it freezer burn. I have not been pleased with freezer-burned food in my experience.

btw, I agree with Giovanni that more veggies would be good for you.

ETA: if you're away from a gym, you can still do body weight exercises. :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  9. matveimediaarts

Oats are sugar too when metabolized. The good thing about fruit is that most have plenty of vitamins and nutrients. :) Grains, not so much.

10. Giovanni

i would also say that the whole paelo thing is full of "woo", frankly.

11. matveimediaarts

Meh. Like exercise routines, it will work for some people, not so much for others. One size fits all plans rarely work for everyone in my experience.

12. Giovanni

i'm not saying one size fits all. i think it's pretty obvious that our bodies can subsist on any number of diets. to me, the paleo is just another fad. and i call it "woo" because if you don't look into the claims, maybe they make some sense. for me, it just doesn't pass the initial smell test.

13. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

sorry i forgot to mention veggies. In that area , onions,peas,carrots,mixed peppers,green beans and tomatoes.

The main reason I like paleo is the high protein. The problem with the fruit is it contains fructose which is harder for the body to break down as it can only be tackled by the liver.

And although I scoff at crazy diets as well. It does make sense that all the processed grains and sugars are not neccessary.
    Raz

14. righty

righty Valued Member

Sigh...paleo.

To start, soy milk, oats and brown rice are not paleo. Neither are the pizza, soft drink, cookies and ice cream you say you ate in that other thread.

If by what you mean by 'paleo' is focusing eating on relatively unprocessed meat and vegetables then that's great. Unfortunately that is not all that 'paleo' actually is and it's these other things that make paleo a bit dumb with plenty of nutters that follow it too far.

With regards to your diet. Eat more red meat, eat more vegetables including potato. Just drink cows milk for goodness sake unless you get a bad reaction to it.

Doing more endurance style training you are going to want to eat more carbs too.

15. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Sigh people who sigh.......

The other thread was titled cheat day....... and those foods mentioned were on a cheat day. Which is a day in exception to the normal diet.

The Original post in this thread was about 20 days ago. Whilst im out here (Afghanistan) Im focusing on a paleo diet. Mainly because out here my workouts are mostly weight and strength based. When im home I won't have the same gym facility and will be doing a No Gear programme from Gym Jones, which focuses heavily on cardio.

Hence the brown rice and oats.

Raz

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm not an expert, so take what I say with a pinch of salt. (But not too much, because it's unhealthy. ;) ) Instead of eating a really boring diet and having regular 'cheat days' to cheer yourself up, wouldn't it be better to just have a good balanced diet which you'll be happy to stick to ALL the time, without the need to 'treat' yourself to junk food? :confused:

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I think fully paleo is a bit excessive, but the general idea of limiting overly processed food and junk food are a decent way to eat.

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I eat very little processed food, and virtually no 'junk' food. Not just because it's unhealthy, but because I don't generally enjoy it. Meals made from 'scratch' taste far better.

19. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Yes&No, my cheat day was kind of a bad example. Out here food is one of the rare excitements:)

But it should be used in terms of a refeed of energy than a gorge on baddies.
    I can't explain it as well as it is explained here

http://www.machinemuscle.com/refeeds-and-cheats-impact-on-metabolism/

The way I understand it is to replenish and to get your metabolism kicking again.

Raz

20. righty

righty Valued Member

The cheat day food I mentioned were merely emphasising my point. The soy milk and brown rice that you are eating now are avoided in the paleo diet.

Regarding refeeds are you tracking your total Calories and macros? Are you cutting?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013