just saying howdy

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by shortstick, Mar 11, 2003.

1. shortstick

shortstick New Member

Hello guys, just saying howdy. I am new to the forum. I have been training in Escrima for about 8 years, and I am always happy to find a place to discuss it.

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Welcome to the forum shortstick :)

You'll find an impressive amount of knowledge on the forum and we look forward to hearing your input also.

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Welcome shortstick ... glad you made it! ;)

4. John G

John G Valued Member

Welcome aboard shortstick.

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Welcome - so they call you shortstick huh? Do we really wanna know why? LOL!

6. Cain

Cain New Member

Yaaay!

Bigstick and shortstick have finally met :D

Welcome shortstick :D

|Cain|

7. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Enter medium stick! LOL

8. shortstick

shortstick New Member

thanks for the welcome......I think

9. YODA

You think correctly :D

I judge by your sig that you can take a joke!

So - onto more serious stuff....

What style of Escrima do you study and with whom? Pity you didn't sign up a week earlier - I was in LA last week and maybe we could have hooked up.

10. shortstick

shortstick New Member

I Trained under a man named Tony Texeria in Sarrada Escrima. He trained directly with Angel Caballes, and his son.
    Tony died way too young several years ago. Since then I have just been maintaining what I learned. My main focus for the last several years has been Kara-Ho Kempo, before that I trained for appx. 14 years in TKD reaching the rank of San dan. As for my screen name- I figured that not many people would know sarrada is a short range art....I figured it would get a grin or two, and we all need to smile more these days!

11. YODA

Cool - I know of serrada and have some training in it myself. Although as Filipino arts go I would say it is a medium range art - compared to closer range styles such as GM Cacoy Canate's version of Doce Pares.

12. shortstick

shortstick New Member

cool, i did not know that. I have done Senwali and dequardes eskrima(hope i got the spelling) and when I got into sarrada, well it seemed close compared to the other two. I have not had much exposer to styles that are inside as much as sarrada. So I cannot really comment. When I have met with other players, they have always been longer range styles. Although it seems in one way or another most of the styles have ways to get in close. I will take a look at the doce pares site you have listed.

13. michael

michael New Member

so is anyone like do just one style of arnis or lots?

14. stickgirl

stickgirl Valued Member

serrada

hiya
    I always thought that serrada was a short range as it was machete based???

stick girl.

15. shortstick

shortstick New Member

Hmm....have not heard much about if the machete is spacific to Sarrada. I have seen it used in other systems. It seems to me in most systems of eskrima the blade is interchangable with the , stick, and the same to empty hand. This is why I find eskrima in genearal to be a great style.