just posting a video and introduction

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MAfreak, Feb 4, 2016.

1. MAfreak

MAfreak Valued Member

you mean my former martial art? that was karate. basics of striking and grappling came from it, so its not self-study from the beginning. not sure, if that would have been effective.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

No location.

Where in the world are you. We might be able to point you in the direction of a good club or two.

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I've seen a lot of self taught folks come through the gyms and invariably people try to go easy on them and compliment them on the techniques they've picked up from youtube. Still crush them, mind, but give them just enough to not completely smash their ego. So yeah, I could see someone giving him some space to work out from.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Really? I smear them along the mat and drink mead over their still twitching corpse.......

5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Not everyone is so generous as to make people aware of the full extent of their skills, as is apparent by the "why am I being insulted" tripe.

6. MAfreak

MAfreak Valued Member

no one knew my level. it also was hard, so the guys were no sissis.
    and if you don't know me guys, and don't know how i fight, you shouldn't blame me.
    thank you Dean Winchester, i know all schools in my location, thats what i meant with open sparring events or were i got sword impressions.

7. Hannibal

I am not doing my job as a Instructor if I let delusions continue in training

8. Hannibal

Way past shenanigans and now at malarkey

9. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

And a MOD descended from heaven and swung their mighty ban hammer until everyone was crushed to dust...

10. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think you can actually feel their heart break when you go all out on those guys.

11. Hannibal

Heart? maybe.

The spine certainly

12. MAfreak

MAfreak Valued Member

i think we all appear quite arrogant here but anyway: doubtless you won't believe me that in sparring i also fret my karate trainers 'cause of my additions from the self-study so i don't believe, but know, that at least the weaponless was effective.

13. Hannibal

Everyone has an arrogant side to them - not every one has a right to have that though

And you are right I don't - especially of the video evidence

14. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

If that's the singular 'we' you're using. On the other hand you'll find most the regulars here however are well versed in their capabilities and limitations.

To be honest I find your attempt to paint people more experienced than you, who are simply giving you an honest assessment of you skills, extremely hilarious and rather telling about your lack of actual experience against people with skill.

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Let us know where you are, someone might be in your vicinity and can meet up to cross hands with you.

It'd probably be a good learning experience all round.

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thread moved to introductions.

less talk about who is trolling, who has insulted who and so on. We have a report function for that.

Let's stick to the subject please, which is the introduction and video.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

MAfreak,

Dean has been more direct than I would have been, but it wasn't a personal attack. And it was an accurate assessment of the video presented. You asked for precisely that assessment. Presumably you wanted to hear from people qualified to judge the material you were presenting. If you didn't, why post it on a forum populated by experienced martial artists?

But if you think MAP has been overly harsh, I'd encourage you to try other martial arts fora and see what reaction you receive there as well. Don't take our words for it.

I'm curious. WHY are you self-teaching? You're acknowledged that you know of schools in your area. Why not take advantage of them?

You've had knowledgeable people in the various disciplines you showcased give you honest feedback about your skill level, which is what you requested. The answer has been clear. So why not take it on board?

18. Hannibal

Lets deal with these in order then

1) Poor impression of side to side evasion that no boxer would ever do - looks like a very bad Mike Tyson impression - and a weak punch lacking mechanics at the end

2) Stance too elongated, little depth engagement and poor range control - rear hand practically useless

3) Ill timed jump leading to weak kick and a weaker punch - basically waving limbs in opposite directions whilst airborne

4) Balance off - limited mechanics and a slappy kick and recovery

5)
    6) See 4
    7)

8) The idea behind a leaping shot is to add power to the blow. You sort of jump then initiate a weak shot - even from a partner demo teh mechanics are right off

9) Loose, sloppy and guaranteed fail against someone not actually holding on to you and lowering themselves to the ground. Bum too far away on teh armbar and little to no actual pressure being applied

10) Terrible - no balance or timing or control and a "fantasy land" finish into a crude kneebar

11) Poor form, weak balance, sloppy cut

12) jumping with a stick - no actual weapon usage to sepak of

13) Give a 7 year old nunchaku and this is what they look like

14) Again just random and unfocused flailing with the tonfa showing little to no knowledge of how they actually work

15) Absolutely pointless - may as well throw an orange with that lack of technique

Your willingness to put yourself on film is a godo thing; so is your enthusiasm

Your refusal to take onboard criticism is worrying, but even more so is teh blatant lack of skill that you are trying to pretend is somehow able to allow you to hold your own.

This majoroty of this is self taught crap - end of story

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Just one comment on your "head lock" throw at 0.12. When you apply that throw, your left arm should have a good control on your opponent's leading right arm (left hand control right elbow while left armpit control right wrist) in order to make that throw work.

This is why to have a "teacher" is important. A teacher will tell you "without a good leading arm control, you should not even try to apply head lock throw on your opponent". The reason is simple. The "head lock" throw is not like the "under hook" throw, or "over hook" throw that you can control both of your opponent's arms. Since the "head lock" throw cannot control your opponent's left back arm, if you don't control his right leading arm, both of his arms will be free and that will give you a lot of trouble.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaNl26Og4p0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaNl26Og4p0[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  20. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You're being generous, there's lots more wrong there than that. Your center of balance is too high, you don't have control of the arm, your hips aren't deep enough, you are basically falling and uke is being kind and falling with you. Your collection of the leg is again, only because uke is letting you collect it. If uke knew what he was doing he would have swept your right leg as soon as you stuck it in front of his, as your balance was more broken than his was.

As for your flying armbar, you didn't stay tight enough. Your hips are nowhere near close enough to uke's body which means his elbow is below your pelvis, which means you don't have the arm bar.