Just joined in both MAP and Martial Arts!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hayzil, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Hayzil

Hayzil New Member

Hey all! :)

Well, I just joined MAP as well as the world of Martial Arts. I am 18 years old and have never had any MA experience except for one summer class of TKD and Karate (don't know which specific style) when I was 12. I am also overweight quite a bit but I'm trying not to let that stop me. :cool:

Anyways, I am in California at the moment for college, although I am originally from Kuwait and I -really- want to study traditional Jiu-Jitsu or Aikijitsu. Unfortunately, due to the lack of studioes/dojos (I'm an hour south of LA), I might have to go with Karate and Aikido (Aikido was my third choice actually :D ) My main concern is that the place I'm going to try out will end up as a McDojo without me realizing it since I'm inexperienced.

If any of you have suggestions or pointers I'd really appreciate it! I'd also appreciate it if you guys have any recommendations for a school around Riverside, California. Thanks!

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Hayzil, welcome to the forums.

Plenty of stuff to read that'll help you make an informed choice.

Enjoy :D

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

welcome to MAP Hayzil

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

For the 2nd time today - Welcome to MAP Hayzil :D

5. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Welcome to the MAP forum. Enjoy!

6. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Welcome to MAP. Enjoy your stay!

7. Loci

Loci Valued Member

welcome to MAP

8. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Hi Hayzil.

Welcome the the planet. Have fun :).

9. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Hello, welcome and goodluck

10. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Hello Hayzil welcome to our playground.
    Sorry you dont have your first choice of art near you. I'd just say try to find a class you enjoy training in rather than worrying about wether it's a McDojo or not. In the years ahead other choices will open themselves up to you.
    I've seen people sit on their coach moaning that they cant do "such and such" instead of just getting out and doing something.

11. Hayzil

Hayzil New Member

Hee hee, that's very true :D But I won't, it may not be my first choice, but it'll definitely be an experience! Going for my first sit-in session (just to watch) on Monday :)

12. Protein

Protein New Member

Hi Hayzil!

Welcome to MAP!

Will you write about your experiences with the class? I think here are many people who can give you valuable advice.

13. kez

kez New Member

Welcome 2 the wonderful, painful, yet wonderful world of MA!

14. Serpico

Serpico New Member

Welcome, good to hear that you are starting MA, I hope that you find it as meaningful as I do.

15. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Welcome, new friend.

16. Ara

Ara New Member

hey hey hey :)

17. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Welcome Hayzil,

Good to have another member from Cal.:D

18. Hayzil

Hayzil New Member

Thanks everyone for the great welcome! I'll definitely write about my experience, whether bad or good (hopefully the latter!)

cal_JJJ, you're in California too? Awesome! Whereabouts? (Especially since you seem to know Jiu-Jitsu :D )

19. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

From 1 west coaster to another, welcome :)

20. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Greetings HayZil. Hope you enjoy your stay :)