Just got robbed! What the hell is with ppl?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pitfighter, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I just walked into work today to open up the paint store I manage. The store door was shattered. Someone smashed a brick through the door and stole the till.

Called the owner, called the cops. Right after filing the police report and before any of the shattered glass was cleaned, btw it was everywhere, ppl started walking in trying to buy paint.

Even a mom with 2 toddlers was trying to walk in. We had no cash and I was telling ppl to come back later or go to one of our other stores. Instead the owner asks me to shoo out the cash customers and start taking orders. She stopped short of letting the mom with toddlers in. At least one of her synapses fired and she realized a store full of glass is not a safe environment for kids.

Everyone got impatient as me and my employees rushed to fill the owners and clean all the shattered glass. Meanwhile the owner wants to know who wrote the one check that was stolen. After doing the right thing and calling the customer to let them put a stop payment on the check she turns to me and comments that she hopes the customer will write a new check. She has insurance and that one check was paid for the next gallon we sell.

WTF? this is a god damn crime scene!
    Jeebus, is paint and petty a few hundred bucks out of a multi-million dollar company that important we have to overlook basic safety and courtesy?

What the hell!?

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

That sucks dude, at least all you can say is at least no one got hurt.

Some people just dont care man, I hear a lot of stories of Police Officers shooing people away from full on murder scenes/cordons.
    These are put in place to prevent any contamination of evidence, which can transfer the evidence to another place or even wipe it clean off. Obviously resulting in either a conviction to the wrong person or a non-conviction to the person who did the deed.

But people just want to walk right through as its deemed "inconvenient"

(just a note, in UK.. we'll call this a Burglary. Our use of the term 'Robbery' is a when a threat/use of force/violence + theft = robbery)

3. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

:(

that sucks, hope everything will be ok.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

We routinely have to chase people away from areas that either might be a danger to themselves or affect a scene. Apparently some people think it's perfectly all right to walk between a building and a dozen police officers facing said building with shotguns, AR-15s, and flashing lights. Or, when a few officers are out with a bloody male who's screaming obscenities and threatening to kill everyone they think it's all right to just walk within arm's length of this guy.

And yes, technically it's a burglary but I can understand his frustration. The media can be the worst about it. They'll walk right into everything if you'd let them.

5. Kuto

Kuto Vacuumed Member

I really appreciate your attitude. Seems to become more and more less common to care for the people around you. It really is a shame, and in your case, as i think, even worse than the fact that your store has been robbed in the first place.
    apart from that it makes me think why anyone would let their children into a store full of broken glass, every parent should know that that could turn out really ugly...

6. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Thanks everybody, I was so surprised that everyone was so unconcerned about the broken glass it was making lose faith in people.

At least one of the regular contractors expressed concern, he thought we were in a stick up, thank god we weren't. So at least some people have some common sense.

7. The Wiseman

The Wiseman Valued Member

A wiseman once said, "Broken glass and toddlers is a bad combination."

What? It doesn't have to be poetic to be wise!

8. APC

APC Valued Member

Urrrggh. Being burgled is grim. Had works landrover stolen after several locked gypsy bars were forced (!!!!) and the landie driven through the remaining wooden gates, before being last seen on route to London via a speed camera. Made me feel sick knowing that we must have been watched and our routines checked, but without us noticing. Makes you not trust people so much, that friendly stranger asking an innocent question about firewood, where are they're eyes pointing? AArrrghhh.

Despite having as good security as we can afford, we still find evidence that someone has been poking around our yard. Bits of fence bent down, stuff moved, something just not right.