Just finished wheel of time

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Count Duckula, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

:)

I read all books in sequence without any other books in between. I've been reading the last 4 books in rollercoaster speed. Jordan's story design was excellent, and Sanderson's narration was awesome.

And fyi: I did guess correctly who Killed Asmodean. :D
    Jordan's assessment that it was obvious really left no doubt in my mind.

2. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

I never read the last book... the books kept getting slower and slower. Will have to get it.

3. Count Duckula

Yes. Book 9 was already slowing down, and book 10 was a disaster. I think at that point he was in over his head in number of parallel plot lines, combined with being diagnosed with cardiac amyloidosis.

But book 11 really picks up the pace and stuff starts happening again. And at book 12, Sanderson takes over writing, and it becomes fast paced. At that point I really read every free moment I had. Btw I did wait until the final volume was released before buying the last couple of books. I stopped buying them after book 9 because I doubted that the series would ever end decently (with his sickness)

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

5. righty

righty Valued Member

Wow.

Just realised I completely missed the release of the last few books. Guess I have some reading to do.

6. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I'll tell my Mum about this, I don't think she knows the series was finished, she owns all the other books in it.

7. Count Duckula

On the whole and for the history of the series, I think Sanderson did a most excellent job. After all he did have to work with a plot that had increased in complexity for 11 books, with only 3 books to clear it all up. And he had to keep all the characters 'in character' as well. I think Sanderson is the only one with the skill and experience to have pulled it off.

And I understand why the ending does not account for all characters. You can't really bring a story like that to a climax and then write the 'happily ever after' for each of the characters who played a role of significance. I even understand why Rand had to 'die'.

My only gripe is that he kind of glossed over the Moridin - Rand connection and how their sould came to be swapped. That part could have done with some more elaboration, together with the nature of the dark one and why Rand should not destroy him.

For a story that ran over 10000 pages, you'd think that that part would have been developed in more detail. I did like how the role of callandor was played out, but even there are some questions left, like how could the forces of light have created a sa'angreal for the true power.

But all told, given the background of how the story was written, ther result was more than passing.

8. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

As a complete OT, every time I stumble upon this thread I do a double take.

9. righty

righty Valued Member

lol at Rand.

10. righty

righty Valued Member

Yay finally finished.

The ending I actually thought was quite good contrary to the opinion of others. Or it could be I've read some very disappointing ones in the last 12 months or so. I was also very happy that they closed off what I thought were going to be some giant plot holes.

I might go back and read all of them sometime but I can't see myself reading the boring ones. Perhaps I could just skip them now I know which ones they are.