Just a little question for Judokas.

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Blade96, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

are judo gi's and karate gi's different? cause when i tried two judo classes the sensei had asked me did i have a gi. I said yes - im shotokan. he said you need a judo gi you cant well wear a karate gi to judo. Why not? arent they the same? a gi is a gi is a gi, isnt it? why couldnt I wear my shotokan gi? And if they are different, what is the difference, and why are they different? why cant one wear a karate gi to judo class? I wondered about this.

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

judo gi's are much stronger and are reinforced in the places they need to be to withstand the constant push pull and gripping of judo.

Also you'll prefer a judo gi if anyone tries to collar choke you in class... a karate gi collar feels like a cheese wire against your throat compared to a judo collar :cry:

If you wear your shotokan gi to judo... you'll be buying a new shotokan gi pretty swiftly :)

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

What he said!

Don't wear your karate gi for judo, you'll lose the sleeves rapidly. Judo gi aren't expensive, if you're going to do judo get a proper judo gi.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yep. I had a guy grab my lapels while I was wearing a taekwondo dobok, and the think ripped. Wouldn't have happened with a judogi.

5. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Just adding to what has already been said. Judo Gi are reinforced in the lapel and sleeves so that they won't tear. Pants are double stitched with extra padding at the knees.

Your shoto Gi won't make it past a lesson.

6. Blade96

Oh ok, thanks peeps. :)

I dont think I'll be doing anymore judo after I injured my back at the second class and I've always had scoliosis anyways so i dont think judo is that good for peeps with back issues. I'm glad i tried it though for something new somenew experience. And some of the techniques were already familiar to me like leg sweeps. we do those in shotokan.

I had always wondered what he meant about the gi's though. Thanks a lot you helped me :)

Cheers. :)

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The actual material is also different Blade, plus where the seams are.

Mitch

8. Blade96

Different? You mean like the material is stronger like the others said?

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Not just stronger, it's woven differently. If you look at a judogi top it is textured in a way a karate gi is not.

Mitch

10. Blade96

Oh ok. I saw the judo gi's but only briefly, never had time to really hold one look at one and compare it with my own gi.

11. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

If you were break falling correctly you should almost never land directly on your back. And if you do you break the fall with your feet and arm.

12. Blade96

well thats it. I dont think we were taught properly by that particular black belt. I am not sure how a rolling BF should be taught, but it just.....didnt feel right. Idk much of anything about judo but it didnt feel right to me.

13. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Judo is fun just give it a chance =P. They should have spent more time teaching you to breakfall and roll. For a bad back I'd say the most important one is the forward summersault and as you come around you slam your feet like you're trying to bridge. This keeps the pressure off your spine and onto your feet arms and shoulders

14. Blade96

I know lots of people love judo, the ones at the dojo I was at looked like they were having a ball. :)

15. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

And here was me thinking that the point was to land people mainly on their back, as is part of the definition of ippon.

16. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Technically yes, but you use your legs/feet and arms to slap the mat as you land to break the fall. The force is spread out throughout your body And not all on your back. If you read the definition you would see how an ippon is scored. your opponent can land in a bridge( only shoulders/arms and legs touching the mat) and you can still score an ippon. Do
    some research next time.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  17. Blade96

This is why i felt i wasnt taught correctly despite being unfamiliar with judo. Its weird, alost like instinctively u know who is a good teacher worth their salt despite being unfamiliar with what they teach.

18. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

If you aren't confident In the teachers methods I recommend you stay away lol. Better safe then sorry

19. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

I'm quite aware that ippon can be scored for landing in a bridge. However even the best players can be caught off guard and slammed hard onto their back. Telling someone with a bad back just to always slap the mat isn't going to remove the times when they can't land in a perfect breakfall.

20. Blade96

thats a good point. Thats why I decided to stay with my shotokan. I love being a shotokanka as much as you guys love being judokas. :)

I'm glad i did try a few judo classes though, fun to try a new thing and i did see how much joy the judokas get out of it. They were having a blast. :)