Jung Do Kwan Taekwondo

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Marku, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

Can someone help me find infomation on this ASAP? and anything that relates to the known masters that do it(in UK atm). Thanks.

Edit: It might actualy be Chung Do Kwan, >_<

Last edited: Jun 29, 2003
  2. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

There is a Jung Do Kwan. its the Hong Kong Taekwondo Jung Do Kwan. They are a member of the Hong Kong Taekwondo Association. From what i read its more of a WTF tae kwon do org becuase they talk about it being in the olympics.

There is also a Chung Do Kwon that is TKD as well.

3. beth

beth New Member

I trained in Chung Do Kwan for about ten years and the style I trained in was not at all like WTF or ITF styles. It is a very traditional style and is more closely related to Tang Soo Do than other styles of TKD. The forms we did were all pretty much the same as TSD forms, except we had one more series, Kuk mu, which has its origins in Shotokan and Okinawan Karate (as do the others). The Chung Do Kwan schools I have seen information about in the UK seem to be more like WTF schools as Chazz mentions, but the majority of the ones I have seen in the U.S have been the more traditional TSD-like schools. I don't know. TSD Grandmaster Kang Uk Lee's book has a history of the kwans upon official recognition of TKD in Korea and mentions that a Chung Do Kwan dojang was among the first opened. I highly recommend the book. Now I am training in an ITF school because I moved.

4. Chazz

Just to make things clear, i said that there was a style called Jung Do Kwan and it was TKD in Japan. Its more of WTF TKD.

5. beth

beth New Member

Oh. Thanks for clearing that up. I don't know about the Japanese TKD, I was just thinking that the Jung/Chung were possibly the same because of the interchangability of j and ch depending on which type of transliteration you use from Asian, character-based writing systems to English lettering. Trying to keep up with all of the different styles of TKD and who does what and what it is called is getting very challenging. I am finding that referring to a particular style or kwan doesn't always make sense...it just depends on the particular school sometimes. Confusing it is.

6. Chazz

yeah it is confusing. There are a lot of different types of TKD orgs and there more and more everyday.