jumping gracefully

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by JTiedes, Mar 17, 2005.

1. JTiedes

JTiedes Wielder of the Wiffle.

ever notice how some people just seem better at jumping? instead of going in the air, and smashing into the ground, they seem to float and have more time in the air? unfortunatly i am NOT one of those people, heck it seems like i hit the ground before i even take off.
    any floaters out there wanna help me out? does anyone have any idea what im talking about? can someone give me some advice for "the float"?

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

One word: plyometrics ;)

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

My 11 year old is like a gazelle, jumping and spinning. Me? I"m more like the elephant in a tutu. Graceful is NOT the word thats used to describe me.

4. Small Dog

Small Dog Valued Member

ok, im gonna tell you what it hink works

got steps at your house? jump up them, and then down them, slowly adding steps

then when you can do about 4, move up to jumping bushes, start with running, then move up to trying to jump over things stationary, but when you jump, use BOTH FEET, not one!!!

also, jumping requires landing, practice landing without SLAPPING the floor
    really try to land as quietly as possible, you know how youre really good? practice in an apartment and not **** off your neighbors (down) or at home with the rents, and not wake them up!!! hahah its funny cuz its true...

also, timing is important with jumps, to get UP over stuff, you should feel like you float for a second, that comes from when you chamber your feet up. I just said chamber cuz its a martial artsy term, but really its just, lifting your body up with your hands, and then bringing your lower body INTO your upper body, you should be crouching when youre sailing (think castelvania from nes for when simon would jump) just dont ride down though, land softly like i said before!

i love jumping stuff, running up walls, and doing flips, i feel like they are important for body awareness, environment awareness, and skill in general, so i play with it when im bored

when you jump off of high stuff, roll, thats just common sense so you dont eat the energy and screw up important stuff!

if you want any more tips, pm id love to share, otherwise, have fun!

5. JTiedes

JTiedes Wielder of the Wiffle.

if i knew what that meant it would help :p

6. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Exercises designed to develop quick, explosive actions, especially when it comes to jumping, where you need a sudden powerful push into the air. Check the Health and Fitness forums for more info.

Examples include, jump tucks, side jumping over a kickpad or chair, squat jumps, etc.

7. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Ask a kung-fu guy!

Whenever I see a kung-fu form there are always these jumps into the air where the person seems to float, its really cool.

8. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

I know what you mean. In the last fight in the movie Gorgeous, Jackie Chan seems to float across the screen with his kicks, kung fu sure is cool.

On a side note, and from someone who is working on their jumps all the time, just do everything small dog says. It works. Practice practice. Just go out on a run or something and just jump over crap. Work on landing safely and tucking your legs, etc.

Ryan

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Sorry. Have a look here. There have been quite a few discussions on it in the Health & Fitness section; here's a pretty good one :)