Jumping Back Kick

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by brookieeto, May 17, 2014.

1. brookieeto

brookieeto New Member

So I was in class last week and my instructor told me to do a jump back kick, I knew what it was, I've seen many people do it but everytime I try to I can't kl propperly. I would stand in a side stance and try to jump back kick but every time I go to kick my leg just won't extend, it's like my leg is scared or something, it just fails every time I come near to doing it. I can do a normal back kick and spin back kick fine, but it's just this one.
    How can I get my leg to extend propperly without failing?
    Please help! Thanks to everyone who replies!

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Without seeing you it's hard to say, but one thing is the timing of the kick.

If you think of jumping then kicking, what's likely to happen is that you'll end up kicking on the way down, making it hurried, low and even stopping you kicking as may be happening in your case.

Instead, imagine kicking in the way up; this will probably result in you kicking at the top of your jump, giving you time to retract the leg ready for landing. Your brain may then be happy to let you throw it :)

Hope that helps :)

Mitch

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

also try to jump higher. it gives you more time to do everything properly.

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I find it can help to start with just the knee, depending on the person.

5. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

The one (main) problem people have with flying kicks is they don't relax enough... whilst all techniques should remain relaxed until point of impact, ground based ones can be pulled off even if a bit tense... good flying kicks (for most) need good/proper relaxation... try doing it even without tensing at the end. You can get the omph/impact part after you have the technique working right!

Stuart

6. nefariusmdk

nefariusmdk Valued Member

I would also suggest don't worry about how high your kicking in the beginning. Aim for the hips or thighs (or even the knees!) for jumping back kick first. As you get more comfortable, you'll start kicking higher.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

For me...start with just the jump. Jump up and tuck the legs, get used to that floaty feeling. Controlling the jump and the landing.
    Then start to put some rotation in (if you are asking about a jump spin back kick). Get used to "knowing" where your body is in space as it jumps and turns.
    Then start to chamber the kicking leg as you jump and spin.
    Once comfortable there start to complete the kick.

Also try holding on to something (like a bannister or ballet wall bar) to give you some more air time to feel the position.

Obviously the real kick should be one movement and fluid but it can help to break it down into stages before trying the complete thing.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Also...try it on a large heavy bag.
    I was always a little reluctant to throw one on a person or held kick shield because I didn't want to miss and hurt someone. In the air it can be hard to control without something to stop it at the end.
    On a heavy bag you can really lay into it and if you miss all you'll hurt is your ego or maybe yourself. It gives you some freedom to really go for it.

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Surely you are paying him to teach you how to do it?