Jumped and mugged last night - Random reflections

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Southpaw535, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Not too much to say on this, but I'm sat up waiting for the police to drop some stuff off to me and I wanted to get some thoughts down on this.

So as the title suggests, I was assaulted by a group of guys on my walk home last night and had my wallet stolen afterwards. I don't want to delve too much into details of blow-by-blows since most of the guys involved were arrested and I assume talking about a potentially ongoing case is a no no. That being said, it got me thinking about training and how I think it helped me.

I'm pretty much fine bar some nice lumps on my forehead and a cut where my glasses got hit into my cheek, but the guys who jumped me apparently did the same to a couple more guys last night before me, and both are in quite a bad condition. One is in hospital with a broken jaw and several missing teeth. So some thoughts:

- I ended up pinned against a fence with the 4 of them laying into me, and I can remember thinking at the time that it felt no different to being pinned against the wall in sparring back when I trained, and I feel like it was a very big contributor in me protecting myself as much as I did. I was also incredibly lucky and that's a bigger factor, but it helped me keep my head and avoid the worst of the damage, particularly once knees started being thrown at me. I covered up well, and was even weaving at a few points to try and mitigate it, and the whole time just being determined not to come off my feet.

- In other positives, I've always wondered how I would fair in a properly violent public confrontation, and I kept very calm. Even managed a textbook side block to take the first punch. But I felt very shocked that I didn't feel, well, more shocked. Other than a brief moment of shaking and crying when the adrenaline wore off, I felt and still feel absolutely fine. I've taken much worst hits in the gym, and I feel like training has provided me with a very useful familiarity with being punched which I feel would be the most shocking part of that experience to an average joe,

- There's a weird survivor's pride thing where rather than feel angry at the people for doing it, I felt mad at myself for not doing more. I threw a couple of incredibly weak, sloppy, slappy overhands and that was it and I feel mad at myself for accepting it as easily as I did. I know in reality its a group beating me up, and I did have a moment I considered kicking one of them in the groin to make space, but I assumed that would have just led to a much worse beating. I know that logically, but there's still some stupid pride thing in feeling I didn't make a 'good account' of myself which is really weird and really frustrating.

So really my unshocking conclusion is that training seems to have helped me in a very big way, but while I always assumed it would be with physical skills and that real fights would scare me due to being a very different beast to sports, its biggest contributor seems to have been mental: The fact I got punched in the face a lot ended up just feeling like any other day. If not for the mugging I don't think I would have even called it in.

It's also interesting to me how much mental help it was given that I haven't trained really at all for over a year now. Its not surprising that stuff remains embedded, but I wouldn't have expected it to be as strongly ingrained still. It has gone to reinforce my belief in the value of hard sparring and of being put under pressure in training.

So that's it really. Not a revelation in any way, and not really any information at all in terms of the events or anything, but as i say I'm sitting around in the very early hours of the morning and I thought getting some stuff written down might help free up my brain a little for when I try and get some sleep.

TL/DR: Getting beaten up in the gym prepares you for being beaten up in real life. Shocker.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

All the best man. Sounds like you did really well all things considered.

Grond and Southpaw535 like this.
  3. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Based off of their previous levels of violence, things could have been a lot worse, so it is nice to hear how relatively little physical damage you have suffered, and that mentally/emotionally speaking, you seem to have been able to compartmentalize it all pretty well.
    "If the 1st time that you get punched in the face is out on the street, then I have done you a great disservice" - My Instructor

Travess

4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Glad to hear you’re ok buddy , on the plus side you can now claim to be “street effective” ;)

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Glad to hear your OK!

6. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

It's good that you could analyse the situation as it unfolded. As you said, a groin shot would have probably escalated it.

There is no way you could win 4 on 1, so covering up and riding it out was the best way to deal with it.

How were you afterwards? I always get a massive adrenaline dump and the shakes after any scuffles in the street, but not at the time.

Glad you're OK

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What was the plan anyway? Were they there solely for the wallet or was violence always a part of their plan?

Like everyone else said man, I'm glad you're alright. I too always wonder how I'd cope under those conditions. I hope I never find out.

8. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Wow, I didn't think Portsmouth was this violent...

Good that you're OK. They could've had a knife...

I bet they''ll be going in for a long time for this....

Something tells me you would fare far better than your attackers would :D

9. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Dont over analyse it buddy ...
    It was a one off(Hopefully) and you won by being able to walk away with relativly minor damage.
    Stay strong
    Smurf

Grond, bassai and Southpaw535 like this.
  10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Much love. Glad youre ok. As said before. Only a messenger away.

11. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

Really? Our justice system is a joke...

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

What makes you say that. Personal experience, or what you read?

I had someone confront me with a large knife.

From beginning to end the processes I went through were very professional.

Also I have done jury service a few times and covered robbery to domestic violence.

Each time custodial sentences were handed out and each time the judge praised us for our decisions.

I'm sure there are stories where others have had less success with how they were treated, but it's a rather sweeping statement to say the justice system is a joke.

Grond, axelb, Shmook and 1 other person like this.
  13. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

Until recently I was a cop here.

The sentencing for people you spend hours locking up and compiling a case file for is unbelievably lenient.

That is even is cps decide to go for a charge, which they don't always.

It's one of the reasons that I left. A lot of cops feel the same.

14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

glad that you got away ok.

I've been in similar situations, but without the mugging (theft), and with a friend with me who didn't have any martial arts experience.
    I came away with a sore lip and my friend unfortunately was all shades of black/blue.

It certainly helps, I expect they were giving it to you as much as they other victim.

Good to see you write your analysis out here, it's good to get stuff like that out of your brain and onto paper.

Grond, Shmook and Southpaw535 like this.
  15. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Not bad actually. Was a bit shaken when I phoned the police on the come down but otherwise have been okay. Early days though yet so lets see.

I think they'd decided they were going to beat me up and the mugging was added on after I told them all to "chill" (never used that word before but apparently that's what was in my heart) and a beating wasn't really going anywhere. Hard to say without knowing if they did the same to the other victims.

I know its an 'I'm getting old' cliche, but its gotten a lot worse around that area recently and very very noticeably. Crap kids with no fear, no respect, and no consequences to knock them out of it.

Grond, Shmook and axelb like this.
  16. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Worryingly , it seems to be a national trend , there are a couple of gangs local to me running round like they own the place.

Grond, Shmook and Southpaw535 like this.
  17. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I keep an eye on local crime statistics, and this year there has been an increase in violent crime my area. :(

Shmook likes this.
  18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Glad to hear your ok Aaron, don't let yourself dwell on it, that's not helpful. Sounds like you did as much as possible in a crappy situation.

Grond, Southpaw535 and Shmook like this.
  19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Damn dude, glad you're ok :(

Grond, Nojon and Southpaw535 like this.
  20. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Glad you are ok! Thanks for sharing a difficult situation.

But I want to address the "you wouldn't have called it in" thing. I am assuming you meant call in a police report? It may have felt like any other day to you, but if they weren't arrested, if you didn't call it in, then they would have attacked another person for sure. And maybe someone less capable of handling the situation. Maybe getting more seriously hurt.

I think it is the responsibility of people attacked to call in situations like that. Even if it is a pain, even if you don't want to. Because if they go on and attack others because you didn't call it in, well that isn't cool. You had a chance to help stop a violent attack on others by reporting it, but didn't. (General you there.) Just my opinion.

So, I think it is good you went ahead and filed a report. You protected others in doing so.

My co-worker was pepper sprayed a few years ago. The woman was caught but my co-worker didn't want to pursue it until I pointed out the same thing to her.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018