Jump Inside Kick

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSW_123, Nov 13, 2007.

1. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I thought this question deserved its own thread so I copied it here.

2. MasterDunchok

MasterDunchok Valued Member

I don't know what's so important about it myself, but I know it shows up in a lot of kung fu. And yet I know that Korean fighting from modern TKD to Taekkyun doesn't favor inside kicks. Notice how there's no roundhouse kicks in any hyung? I'd have to say this is just the Chinese influence on the Kuk Sool.

3. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

There is roundhouse kicks in chinese Kung fu, its just not how we do it though, with kicking from the hip.
    Its more from the knee.

As for inside turning kick, not a kick i would use personally, its not that powerfull in comparison to roundhouse.

It could also cause knee damage, think about kicking something real hard, the pressure against your knee would be pretty big. Especially as you are moving in the sideways movement against it.

I suppose its in there more than jump roundhouse because not everyone can do a jump roundhouse (or a good jump roundhouse) due to hip movement.

NIck

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  4. Gi Ma Ja Se

Gi Ma Ja Se 90 degrees is 4 real MA's

2 things come to mind about the inside kick

1. the inside kick motion to the hand (as per our forms) is a stretching tool for the back.
    2. kicking your hand develops foot to hand co-ordination and control of kicking.

any other ideas welcome

5. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Yeah, that makes sense.
    What would you want foot to hand co-ordination for?

I think it has to be from the Kung Fu influence.

6. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i've always regarded the inside kick (and outside for that matter) as defensive kicks rather than offensive, using them to block & parry and also to set up a counter. think kuen dae rhyun 7 :)

7. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

Even so, think about getting hammered full pelt and trying to block it with an inside,

Think about the pressure that will go against the side of your knee.

Whats wrong with blocking with your arms! :)

Its also got the least range, so its not something i would use to set anything up as its too far away. Also you standing stright into something your trying to defend against.

Think sidekick or roundhouse where your actually body moves back or to the side away from what your defending against.

The only thing i can think of is ease of doing the move, its something that everyone can do to some extent, wheras a jump roundhouse can be hard and does not look as good. Forms are supposed to look good as well as be part of training.

Nick

8. Yuhp Cha Ki

Yuhp Cha Ki Valued Member

Shibby!!!

You feeling ok?

You mentioned forms without saying they suck??? Surely this has to be a first?? LOL

9. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

The thing that I find fascinating about the jump inside kick in our forms is that for every new form the kick is changed to make it just a bit harder. This doesn't seem to be the case for other signature moves. The strike combo, raised knuckle fist to solar plexus, elbow to chin, knife hand to neck shows up quite often. Yes, the footwork changes but not in a way that makes it challenging to perform.

10. Fu_Ling_Yoo

Fu_Ling_Yoo Valued Member

How is it harder?

11. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

The way I originally learned was as follows.
    White belt, the stance inbetween the kicks is high thus allowing easy carry through of the momentum of the first kick.
    Blue belt, you drop from the one legged posture into the jump inside kick. You have a little less momentum than the white belt version.
    Red belt, the stance inbetween the kicks was wider and lower, thus reducing the amount of momentum you have between the two kicks.
    Brown belt, initial stance makes it harder to generate momentum for the spin.
    Black Belt, no momentum due too starting in a horse stance. This makes the kick significantly harder than the previous versions.

I have noticed that there is some movement away from differentiating these kicks in recent years, in favor making them all more difficult. For instance the blue belt version, many people do from a horse stance with no carry through from the step. Also the white and red belt versions for many people are the same.

(spelling and grammar disclaimer, I jsut finished a bottle of wine so please excuse any errors.)

12. Gi Ma Ja Se

Gi Ma Ja Se 90 degrees is 4 real MA's

hand to foot co-ordination is like training with a kicking target it developes a beginners control in there kicking to hit a certain point in front of them....

hope that clears things up air nikus ;o) see ya friday!!!

13. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

Forms suck!!!!! :) :)

Nick

14. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

Thats always the way we taught to do it.

Assuming you CAN do it from there, if you cant actually do it from there, you can take a hop or somin in between.

Nick

15. Fu_Ling_Yoo

Fu_Ling_Yoo Valued Member

This is how I learned KCH #6, inside kick, emphasize the horse stance, in-cover/up-cover (quickly-dont emphasize it) jump inside kick. And where your left foot landed thats were it stayed, to get a long stance you would have to do it with your right foot.(kinda of a lounging motion)If the person was unable to do the jump, they were allowed to simply spin 270 degrees on the right foot and do a hop inside kick.

16. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Wow, when I learned there was no horse stane at all, just feet confortably apart.

17. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

How about the idea that is a training tool so that you don't fall backwards? We touch the foot on the jump front kick as well. If you lean back on either of these kicks you can land right on your butt/back.

18. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

How about if we just change the jump inside kick just a little bit. Instead of putting your energy horizontally into the target, make it come down at about at an angle of 30 degrees from vertical. The target would be where the neck and shoulder join. This would be a monster kick in terms of power. The obvious problem is that your opponent could see it coming from a mile away.

This is just my speculation, but the reason I think we don't do the jump inside kick this way is because we have a spin kick as our finishing kick.

19. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

Then its a completely different kick then! :)

Its now an axe kick, :)

the movement is now in a downwards fasion so no pressure on the knee now, Again the target is a little high though.....

I wouldnt want to axe kick to the shoulder or neck i would use it more on a grounded opponent.

I dont think its powerfull enough on the shoulder to do enough damage, baring in mind there is not a lot of distance from the top of the kick to generate power down.

That kick is however very good in sparring.... Kick up, obviously it misses then a jump forward as it comes down to make a hit.

Nick

20. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

If you do a jump axe kick, that could HURT.