Jujutsu vs judo

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by benkei, Jul 21, 2011.

1. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Greetings jujutsuka,

I started my martial journey doing jujutsu (ittaishin ryu, an offshoot of tsutsumi hozan) and spent 6 years at it. I enjoyed it a lot and feel I gained a lot. 4 years after starting I decided to supplement with judo, which two years later became my sole focus. Fast forward 6 years and I am still doing judo (almost at shodan), competing at national titles and heavily involved in the sport side of things.
    Having gone through all of this I can honestly say that jujutsu and judo are two sides of the same coin. I will definitely pick jujutsu back up at some point in the future. What I would like to know is, have any of you done judo and picked up jujutsu later on, and what are your thoughts?
    While one could follow my path and go jj>judo>jj it seems to me most people would achieve a greater level of proficiency with judo first, where they would gain a better appreciation of balance, coordination and gross motor skills which would then help them gain a quicker grasp of the finer motor skills found in jujutsu.
    What do you guys think?

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

To me they compliment each other nicely and as they are rather closely related it seems fair to say that there should be the adaptability to cross train.

My background is Jujitsu / kenpo / karate ...my instructor is a judoka of 50 years experience ..

we teach as a team sharing both sides of the coin with our classes ...which is hugely benificial to all concerned.

Your transition from one to the other should be easy ...your newaza will scare the heck out of the jujutsu folk !!!

Keep on training your experience and knowledge will be an asset to either mind set .

3. Lipp

Lipp New Member

This as good of a thread as any for my first post.

I don't have a lot of experience in any MA. I wrestled in High school and when i got to college i took a Judo Self defense class. Wasn't that in depth of a class, but we learned the basics.

Just recently (five or six months now) I've been doing Hakko Ryu JuJutsu and have been loving it.

One thing that i have noticed is that my experience in wrestling and judo has allowed me to stay very relaxed when being an uke. Especially when practicing a lot of the Joint Manipulation techniques i have been learning. Not to mention the break falling that i learned in judo came in real handy.

even though i don't have a lot of experience in either right now, its really clear how complementary they are to each other.

Also i don't think there has been a class I've been to where while working on our throwing techniques that my shihan has not mentioned something about Judo.

But i would agree that Judo is an amazing foundation for JuJutsu.

4. mike.Budo

mike.Budo Valued Member

Greetings Each

I train in both , As Judo came via Jujitsu they are pretty much the same in my view , apart from the obvious exceptions ,Kicks, Punches etc.

As stated ,they both complement each other very well. I tend to get into conflict with some users of the way these arts are taught . It is only my opinion as a student . that Japanese arts are all ONE. . Bo and Jo staff Bokken etc are all extensions of the hand .

All in all just enjoy it and have fun.

5. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

It depends on the Jujutsu style you practice.

Any of the gendai styles you'll find the throws similar, and will merge very well with Judo.

Some of the Koryu however have a different take on throws, and very different footwork and movement to their modern counterparts so Judo could make it more difficult.

What Judo gains in training methods regarding kazushi, Jujutsu gains from being able to use atemi to help kuzushi

6. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

i think Judo just has that effect on people, almost every grappling based forum has had some agreement that Judo is amazing especially as a start up system. i do BJJ as well as have done some Goshin Jiujitsu. but in BJJ i found how much Judo helped me seeing as how i hate fighting off my back. not to mention self defense wise.

Jigoro Kano sure new what he was doing.

7. LBF

LBF New Member

I've also done both jujutsu and judo (only a bit), and I think that they both have a major advantage to the other.

Jujutsu teaches you a lot of lethal strangulation and striking techniques to your opponent's weak points which will end a fight in a matter of seconds. Judo does not teach this, at least not at the beginning level.

Judo teaches you how to confront and overcome an opponent with constant Randori sessions. Since you are used to fighting an opponent, you will fare well in a random street fight, as compared to Jujutsu where such training are non-existent if not very rare.

Therefore, I think Judo is better overall if you also learn some vital striking point techniques.

8. sony

sony Valued Member

Just out of curiosity, how often per week do you train Judo?

9. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Usually 3 sessions a week in the competition off season, 5 in competition season.

10. sony

sony Valued Member

I was just wondering - and this is no offence towards you - how you could not be a BB after 8 years (AND 4 years of related Jujitsu previously). Thought it were normally about 6 years to BB in Judo. And with 3 sessions a week you seem to train quite a lot.

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

some choose not to grade and focus on comp instead.
    also if you havent met the grading criteria then you wont get you BB

12. sony

sony Valued Member

Ok, didn't think about that.

I'm aware of that... so my question would be the same: Thought it were normally about 6 years to gain the technical ability to get a BB in Judo.

13. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Thing is, though, if you focus on competition, the grades come quicker. There are two categories for ranking in Judo, competitor and non-competitor. And the non-competitor has stricter requirements and longer waiting times. So being involved in competition is actually more likely to yield the grade than prevent it.

14. benkei

benkei Valued Member

I spent the better part of 3 years moving between clubs due to my training after joining the army. Kind of put the kaibosh on competing let alone grading. Only in the last few years have I been able to catch up. I kept training as much as I could but advancement was pretty close to impossible.

15. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

Judo teaches you how to confront and overcome an opponent with constant Randori sessions. Since you are used to fighting an opponent, you will fare well in a random street fight, as compared to Jujutsu where such training are non-existent if not very rare.

Therefore, I think Judo is better overall if you also learn some vital striking point techniques.[/QUOTE]

Also a good Judoka would have much better throwing techniques as someone practising Jujitsu I guess.

16. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

Coming from a JuJutsu background, I decided to start Judo after recieving my shodan because I wanted to see what experience I could gain from sparring and competing. I kinda also wanted to test what I had. I was lucky to find some great clubs to train with during the 18 months or so I was involved (involved as in rolling every week.) This was a little while ago now but I still go along to Judo/ BJJ occasionally because every now and then I get a sparring itch I just need to scratch.

There have been some great points noted - especially around balance taking. It's really handy to be able to use atemi/ the threat of atemi (fingers towards the eyes for example) to affect your opponent's balance - something you cannot do in Judo so you have to adapt to that.

I've found Judo people to be very very open with their training - very little in the way of ego and I always suggest to people who train in a non competetive system (such as mine) that they should head along to a Judo club to experience full resistance training. It certainly opens your eyes. I think Judo is fantastic and feel I learned a lot in a short space of time.

I know there is a more in depth curriculum containing striking in Judo but I've never seen it being taught. Striking and weapons (or the threat/ possibility of weapons) make a huge difference in a self defence situation but as long as people remain aware of that, all good. I found myself going into pure grapple mode a few times during my JuJutsu class but my instructor was always happy to point this out to me (usually with a punch to the jaw.)

I still have the occasional lapse where I want to 'compete' with my opponent on the ground - it's not a good idea to get tied up with a single opponent when some of his friends may be around to help him out.

The mindset required in a 1vs1 match Vs a self defence situation where there are an unknown number of variables (environment, weapons, multiple opponents for example) are very different so I wouldn't necessarily say Judo and JuJutsu compliment each other on that level. It's great for your training providing you know the boundaries of what you're doing. There is nothing better than a good spell of randori with little to no breaks between opponents to refine your 'keep going' attitude.

17. Very good post Decision Tree, thank you for sharing your experience. :)

OSu!

18. nagewazawill

nagewazawill Valued Member

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  19. nagewazawill

nagewazawill Valued Member

What jujitsu lessons have you been to or studied as i train judo and goshin jujitsu. At jujitsu we have randori, but have a lot more time on the ground rolling than judo. As most fights always go to ground, i Know which sport would win hands down. And to say judo is better overall, Didnt kano take jujitsu and turn in into judo?

20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Problem with discussions like this is that unless you are detailing which style of Jujutsu you are on about the comments all get a bit generic and at times misleading.

After all Jujutsu isn't simply Judo with punching and kicking thrown in.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012