Jujitsu vs bjj?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by LeaFirebender, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I think you need to grasp WHY Judo became so entrenched and pushed many other ryu "out of business" whilst "eliminating dangerous techniques"

Dean addressed the fallacy of "no rules" already

2. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

Eliminating dangerous techniques is to reduce injuries obviously. Judo is fun, thats why it is popular.
    As for the rules thing, if you think theres rules in a street fight you better never attack me is all i can tell you. If i have to defend myself against a man twice my size, which i suspect you are, i sure as hell won't follow any rules.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

:bang: :bang:

What first then?

Legal issues, force etc or social rules?

Hannibal?

4. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

To be clear, Judo as a self defense art and tournament Judo are different. Thats why you learn techniques in class you can't use in a tournament.

5. Hannibal

Fun is always good, but why did it supplant ALL other JJ as the art adopted by the Tokyo Police? Think - METHODOLOGY and then you are there

The reason it took off was because you could practice a LIMITED skillset at FULL RESISTANCE - and therefore were (and are) better than a FULL skillset at LIMITED resistance

So the laws of the land don't apply to you then?

6. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Rather be carried by 12 than judged by 6.

Boom.

7. Hannibal

you just HAD to go there didn't you? ;)

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

there was actually probably a good few more linages that sprung out from Meada and even possibly other representatives of the kodokan that immigrated to Brazil (I belive Meada wasn't the only one) but the Franca/Fada and Helio/Carlos are the only two which survive, the rest fell into the fold of either the Gracie or Franca linage some where along the line or accepted Kodokan governance and became Judo schools. The oft told story that BJJ as we know it is simply the result of Helio or Carlos (depends who you talk to) Gracie tweaking Judo techniques is a nonsense on several levels and a major over simplification.

9. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

I know this is slightly off topic, but are there any good examples of the Franca/Fadda? I havn't been able to find any.

10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Also better it go of topic into this subject than "there are no rules on the deadly street" which is were it was headed.

12. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

That is very true.

Thanks for the info, its now another thing that I have add it the list of arts to train before I get old...

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

ronny lis is fraca lineage i think
    under the rubicon texas gym

(im friends with garrett "deaf grappler" scott on FB and he's proud of his lineage)

14. Mangosteen

oh also. most stuff ive read suggests that in some interclub, the franca/fadda guys kicked gracie student butt through leglocks ETC.

15. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Impossible.

16. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

The Fadda camp issued a challenge to the Gracie academy in a newspaper, it was answered and they had matches most of which the Fadda guys one, take from that what you will, and yes many of the wins were by leglock, you generally find its easy to tap even a well versed grappler if he isn't dealing with the danger of them regularly some times simply on the surprise factor.

17. Mangosteen

maybe stop swallowing gracie propaganda

18. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Never

19. Hannibal

20. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Extremely well put.