jujitsu for the street

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by ade1971, Jan 2, 2012.

1. righty

righty Valued Member

What's a reaction circle?

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

All or any martial art cannot be thoroughly "pressure tested".

This all depends upon the opponent skills as well.

Plus the environment.

One can never be absolutely "pressure tested" against this;

[​IMG]

3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Off to work .. will explain later ...

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Here is a video of an armed robbery that shows two things that the RBSD crowd do not believe exist:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUntJ2Js3T8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUntJ2Js3T8[/ame]

It is Jits being used in a real life fight and there is no lava, broken needles or Orcs around to counter it. Although it IS a multiple opponent fight, the numbers are on the side of the grapplers. This must come as something of a suprise to the RBSD crew, who clearly know that grapplers only ever walk around on their own which is why their art does not work in a "R34L f1ght" when all the armed robbers, gangsters, murderers and rapists walk ropund in groups of two or more

edit for onset dementia from turning 38 yesterday

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  5. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Its techniques can be thoroughly tested within the context of their respective remit as can the practitioners ability to apply them within the context for which they are intended; which is all anyone can realistically expect.

I can't tell if your being facetious or if you think you've made a genuinely valid point?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  6. Killa_Gorillas

where's the vid... ?

7. Killa_Gorillas

sounds like 'circle training'

Student in the middle. Other students surround them and attack in predetermined order or at random with random or predetermined technique.

8. Hannibal

DOH!!!!!

38 and losing it already

9. Alansmurf

sounds like 'circle training'

Student in the middle. Other students surround them and attack in predetermined order or at random with random or predetermined technique

Like he said !!!!!

one student in the middle varying levels of attack depending on their skill level...one control person ...and game on ..

grabs, punches , kicks , multiple attackers ... its fun ...and a test of natural reaction ..if you think too much you lose...

Smurf

10. righty

righty Valued Member

Aha!

We do the same thing. Just don't really have a name for it.

11. selfdefensepath

selfdefensepath Banned Banned

It may also be noteworthy to mention to you that if your in poor physical condition and your attacker or practice partner isnt than your technique wont be effective either, just something to consider as much of selfdefense is concerned with strength speed etc.

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Not true. Technique is harder to do, but its not rendered useless by any means, just ask my 210lb, 6ft 5" team mate.

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Unless you're Robson Moura or something then there is a point where size and strength will stop you. Especially when you add in the fact that street situations will involve striking/slamming etc. In a bjj fight you can compensate for it and adjust but I don't think you have that sort of freedom outside training. If I end up on my back against someone who's 90 odd kg then I feel I'm pretty screwed.

I am looking at things from a bjj not jjj perspective however, and I am smaller than the average person so my points may not apply to the OP. Think they apply to you however.

14. Alansmurf

Southpaw ....did you really want to say this !!!

If I end up on my back against someone who's 90 odd kg then I feel I'm pretty screwed.

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

15. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Surprised you didn't add the bit about me saying I'm smaller than average too :p

16. selfdefensepath

Jui jitsu is great dont misunderstand what Im saying there, and I dont think size and physical ability is everything I certainly dont, but there is a point when technique alone just isnt enough. I wouldnt suggest using jui jitsu grappleing to fend off three guys in a street fight, my thinking would be that stand up skills like parrying and counter punching, and the fancy foot work to keep your attackers unable to fight you all at once, are better than juijitsu gft. But the street dosent have rules man, and people forget about head butting eye gougeing, cross faceing, hair pulling and on and on. Striking is usually the best way for smaller people to deal with a larger person in a real selfdefense situation. In my school we learned the two finger spear hand as part of yellow belt material, its a great move for women and kids, we also learn the front push kick, why, because it helps create space after a poke to the eye or palm heel to the nose. And last but not least is always be aware of the Bums rush, how many guys have done some highschool wrestleing and are just waitn to double leg you and slam your ass down flat on your back and then pound your face off. Grappleing works in the street, but if you can sock a dood hard enough to knock him out go for it, and like I said against two or more it has its disadvantages.

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Which Jujutsu are you talking about?

Just so you know Jujutsu isn't just ground fighting if that's what you mean by gft, maybe you are thinking of BJJ? If so perhaps a thread in their forum might serve you better. Even then I've no doubt that they will tell you there are stand up components to what they do.

As for three guys? Basic idea of hit the nearest one then get the hell out of dodge seems better than trying to tangle with them. Of course there will be times when this isn't appropriate or practical.

Actually it does but perhaps not the ones you think. Maybe it will help if you do some wider reading?

What people forget those things? Certainly not a lot of people here.

Best thing said small person can do is work on their awareness and verbal skills along side everything else.

How do you train these techniques?

18. selfdefensepath

I havent trained any Jui jitsu strikeing myself personally, Ive done a little juijitsu with some friends in Hawaii but all there strikeing was supposedly based on JKD material, IDK but they were pretty good at trapping and had pretty good foot work but thats not the point. Im just trying to say that GFT dosent work very well against multiple attackers, it would be best to know how to move and strike, I think Krav has a bunch of material dealing with that specifically, Idk check out human weapon episode on Krav and see, its on youtube. As for how we train technique, its always been reps, reps, reps, of whatever drill it was. It dosent take years of training to throw a spear hand well, and its not hard to gouge an eye while clinched or with an attacker on top of you, we dont tell people to do that when some dude pushes them, its really for when the rapist attacks some college girl in a parking lot, same with palm. its a safe strike, we all have probly broke a Knuckle once or twice on our journey, so its good at preventing that and it profides a larger strikeing surface so missing is a couple inches harder and that helps when you loose some motor coordination from the adrinlin your body pumps during serious attacks. Same with Push Kick too, get out the kick shields, and start shovin people back, for hours, for days for weeks for months for years. But the push kick is good, dont think it isnt, smaller people and larger have the need to create space even during stand up situations, I think our multipfe attacker illistration could use a push kick to keep from getting tangled up. There all tools in a bag, they just help get the job of defending yourself done in slightly different ways. Theres really only so many ways of addressing an attacker, its not a neverending list of possibilites in my view. And man the streets dont really have rules dude, its whatever an attacker can get away with he will, never compromise your belief in that. As far as dirty techniques, my school dosent view them as dirty while we practice them, you cant head butt in ufc, but in the street there are no rules against the head butt, try it in the clinch and then add a spear hand or snap kick to solar plexis, youll see its basic but good technique. I always think simple little basic moves have saved my shakin bacon several times, Ive never used a crucifix or jump spinning round house to resolve an attack. Im not trying to say I know it all, Im just putting in my two nearly illiterate two cents.LOL. Yea I think jui jitsu is awesome but no its not a good strikeing art though, If it has strikes I would train them alot for use in the street, it just makes sense to me.

19. selfdefensepath

And I would like to add even here, I dont come from a tournament style art at all, we go to tournaments but I always take second in kata and third in sparring, at everyone. I come from a combat Karate school, its a mixed martial art from before mixing martial arts was accepted like it is today, back then there wasnt any MMA to speak of unless you made it to cali or were lucky enough to have a Mut dojo in your little town. I dont know about a lot of things, but I know selfdefense and know it well, Im not saying Im better than anyone else, IM just saying I have rank in an art that is all about combat not sport so if some of my posts seem raw, thats just how we do things. I do have dan rank in punkology though.

20. Hannibal

You know when you start writing and realise that driving a sharp stick into your left ear might actually make more sense.............