jujitsu for the street

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by ade1971, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ade1971

ade1971 Valued Member

I have been doing jujitsu for about a year I would like to know wether it practical for street self defence as this is purely why i took JJ up. I was just wondering why combat magazine and other martial artist dont rate it . I do traditonal jujitsu not BJJ .does this mean i have to make it more effective some way Any thoughts?

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

To be honest, it's hard for me to give you any actual advice with out seeing how your training is like. Could you perhaps give us a breakdown of what you do during a Jujitsu lesson?

For example, I as well do Jujitsu, and our class typically starts with warm up, self defense drills, and then a cool down.

3. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

If your jujutsu is not pressure tested and/or drilled against resistance then it will most probably fail you when/if you need it.

Do you spar/randori and drill against a resisting uke in your class? If not then it is unlikely that your jujutsu techniques will be of help during a physical confrontation.

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

JJJ used to be "the thing." It used to be in the magazines. Fads change (except for Bruce Lee and JKD -- they never go away). Jujitsu just isn't the flavor of the month right now. Maybe in a couple of years it will be. :dunno:

One year isn't enough time to adequately rate it. Look at the people in your style who have done it for much, much longer. If they're good, you'll eventually be good. If they're not ... hey, it's your call, not mine.

5. Killa_Gorillas

How would you evaluate that without pressure testing and continuing resistant training?

Just because others are good it doesn't mean you will be.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Pressure testing ensures practical technique:

Not pressure testing:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb70oHg3AE4"]The Pressure Drill - YouTube[/ame]

Pressure testing:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Zuj5jdY-k"]Dog Brothers: WARNING: Stick fighting IS Dangerous... - YouTube[/ame]

7. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

one thing I'd say is not to assume anyone martial arts will give you all the tools you need for all altercations. whether you were doing boxing, Karate, or jiujitus and judo your going to excel in certain situations and not so much in others. So like most people when talking of self defense, avoidance and proper mental status is key.

with that said Killa gorrillas hit it on the head.

your Jiujitsu must be pressure tested, sparring and randori should take up least half the training. We sparr in every class.

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Thing is this will depend a lot on exactly what you mean by Jujutsu.

If it is a modernised form that has a solid systematic and coherent approach and you have a good teacher, who knows his stuff with regards to self defence and what he is teaching, then there may not be much for you to do other than train and think.

However if it's come from a number of disparate systems and been mish mashed together with bits from here and there then you may have a bit more work.

Now if it is a Koryu then you will need to look at what and where your training is applicable today, how it might work and where it would not be appropriate for your needs.

Like the others have said if it's self defence you are after then you'll need to work your soft skills as much as your physical delivery system. Your soft skills will surround everything else you do and so you will need to get used to using them in conjunction with your physical skills.

And of course those physical skills will need to be developed appropriately.

9. ade1971

ade1971 Valued Member

thanks, your right avoidance is the best thing to do I never had a fight and never want one If sparring is the key do you think i should take a style of martial arts that does spar Any idea on that?

10. Dean Winchester

It's not as simple as not being there.

It's not being there, knowing when to get out of there, getting out of there and dealing with idiots while doing all that.

Sparring isn't they key it's a factor in your training. All the sparring in the world won't do you any good if you don't spot "stuff" happening or about to happen.

You need a wholistic approach, IMO.

11. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

To expand on Deans (rather good) points.
    The kind of sparring is hugely important , if you only do light/semi contact point stop type sparring , it will be of limited use.
    However , if you do hard contact continuous type sparring this will be much more useful.
    My personal approach is that I train Shotokan , basically because I enjoy it , and for more "street" type training I try to get down and train with MAPs very own JWT from time to time , not because I fear being attacked so much (though the type of training he offers is the closest to a "street" attack without getting stupid imo) , but because I enjoy the the challenge it presents.

12. Dean Winchester

I really do need to try and get down to JWT some point this year.

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I can give you a lift sometime if it helps (if you haven't moved you're not too far from me)

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You'll love it and as Bassai will testify he is a gentleman too.

15. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

How do you train ?..

do you use reaction circles ?...

do you spar ?...

do you Randori ?..

do you do uchikomi ?

Whats the emphasis of the class ?

Smurf

16. Killa_Gorillas

If you don't do any sparring or randori at your club then I would suggest augmenting your jujutsu training with some judo.

17. aikiMac

No, no, no, you missed the point. The art itself was questioned, which necessarily transfers to that specific school, which then goes to the people at that school who are not newbies. The OP is the new guy. His personal skill is not the point.

See, we don't measure the effectiveness of Dog Brothers escrima (or anything else -- pick anything) by the guy who started taking lessons only a month ago. We measure the effectiveness of an art by the guy who has been there for many years. Brand new boxer versus Golden Gloves champ? White belt in BJJ versus black belt in BJJ? It's a big difference.

The OP has been in JJJ for only a year. He's still new in the art.

I completely agree that randori (sparring) should be part of the training. Different schools have different rules as to when it begins, but yes, eventually it must be part of the training. Must. It should be part of tests, even, at the brown and black belt ranks.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  18. Killa_Gorillas

I'm sorry, what I was saying was predominantly for the benefit of the op rather than to pick apart your point and I perhaps didn't phrase myself as clearly as I should.

What I mean to say is that if you are observing the higher level/longer standing students then it's important to note the context for this observation: meaning that it's easy to be impressed by slick looking - yet highly fanciful - takedowns and locks applied in a cooperative class environment if you don't know any better. The most important test is how well do the students perform under pressure. I was trying to highlight how to measure 'good' for the purposes put forth in the op.

I think it's also important to note that some students can seem 'good' in spite of their training and as such the best measure for the effectiveness of what you do is how much better you are at performing your techniques than you were before, rather than the prowess of longer standing students. Not discounting it as a measure but it's less reliable than your own improvement.

As far as experience goes IMO year in any functional art should be enough to let you know if it's going to work for you when you need it. If you have to ask, that's not a positive sign :dunno::eek:

19. aikiMac

Ahh, we're in agreement then. And your points are valid, especially the one about one's subjective self-improvement. :cool:

20. Killa_Gorillas

I reckon! :)