judo tv

Discussion in 'Judo' started by judojedi, Oct 28, 2003.

1. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

thought i'd make a post since no one else has for 9 days now.

who would pay to watch the worlds best players fight it out the olymipics or organised national team events? i'm talking pay per veiw or subscription.

i found out a short while ago that judo is the second most popular sport in the world after association football. but it is largely un-tapped from a comercial point of veiw.

would you like to see judo turned commercial? would it improve or destroy the art we love?

i think judo would benifit tremendously from comercial interest and the quality of players would improve and schools of exellence would crop up all round the place.

what do you think?

2. erikido

erikido New Member

I think it would be great for the sport aspect. But, I think arts that tend to focus TOO much on competition tend to lose SOME of its effectiveness.

But, it would be great for the promotion of the sport.

3. judojedi

i dont reckon it would lose effectiveness, quite the contary infact. if judo becomes a mainstream sport then as i said, schools of excelence would crop up and the quality of fighters at all ages would vastly improve. similar to football, if you got paid to train and payed to play, you would strive to be the best you could be and not have the little annoyances that we are currently obliged to consider, such as going to work and making ends meet. you could just train all day every day if you wished. maybe i'm in a dream world but i can see judo becomming like the UFC, or, be a fringe sport to the UFC like an entry event.

i'm a bit supprised at the lack of responce to this thread, i thought every judoka would be interested in this idea. oh well

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

The problem being, that unless your a grappler, high level Judo looks boring.

Col

5. judojedi

true, very true.

but as i said, judo is so popular that the target audience would both be numerous and 'informed', so they would know what they were looking at.

6. cryo

cryo New Member

I don't think judo can become an actual commertial sport becous it isn't much fun to look at. But if it would become a commercial sport I don't see any problems.

7. judojedi

:( i suppose your right :(

if become too comercial then rules would change to make it more appealing and stuff. that would be a shame. then we'd have allsorts of inferior products cropping up with endorsments from the stars and so forth.

maybe its better left as a combat sport understood by its practiioners and associated MAist's only.

8. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

With sports like football, even the uninformed can look at the game and work out (in a basic sense at least) how the game works. I don't think the same can be said for Judo, and a lot of other martial arts too.

9. warren

warren Valued Member

the problem i notice when watching judo on the television is that you only see the finals and the semi's hence you don't see many good throws what you see is two people frightened of losing adopting very defensive postures which make it very boring,lets see some of the earlier rounds

10. judojedi

yea, good point.
    master vs master aint as good to watch as master vs novice/intermediate

infact master vs novice/intermediate would be quite entertaining so long as the master didn't go for straight ippons :D

BTW, welcome to MAP:)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2003
  11. TAPOUT

TAPOUT New Member

id pay i think it would be great to see al that skill in one place