Judo to Jujutsu Migration??

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Martial Sloth, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

Hi all,

Over the years I have seen, and repeatedly have read of on forums like these, that many judoka are moving away from studying Judo to study jujutsu (not BJJ!) saying that they find that "jujutsu has what judo lacks" and that "jujutsu is more applicable in SD". I wonder if anyone has noticed this or if anyone has any views on this. Why do you think Judo practitioners are becoming so disenchanted with the art? What difference is there realy in the techniques, other than perhaps an expanded spectrum of joint locks?

Your views would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

2. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

well i hav half of answers for u...
    Q.<Why do you think Judo practitioners are becoming so disenchanted with the art? >
    when first time i saw was much more in combat useful, the guy who was yellow belt(doing it for about 2 yrs) that time showed me combat things in Judo, it was pretty devastating(i was on recieving end) n could feel it... i was really impressed with judo but couldn't train because of financial problems.
    but Now it's become useless it happened to Judo wat is happening to TKD now, last time when i saw judo it was something like "i flip u, u flip me" n i was really p!ssed off, because i havn't seen this kind of stupid judo...

-TkdWarrior-

3. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

Judo is, and always has been, a sport. Certainly it has self defence applications, but it was never intended as a fighting style but as a sports style.

What is does have to offer is a chance to compete against fellow practitioners aplenty from pretty much anywhere in the world, from within a club to the highest possible level (Olympics!). I think that's pretty good, personally, and Judo is an excellent sport. And (unlike many MA competitions), they will all be using the same set of techniques as you.

Ju-jitsu is a fighting/self-defence art. Despite the similarities, Judo and Ju-Jitsu are based on different premises, so it is really unfair to compare them.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2003
  4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I agree with you 98% there Iolair ;)

Judo does have strictly SD techniques but these were kataised (I know, I know, its not a real word) into what is called the Goshin no kata (coincidently there is a Goshin no kata in Aikido as well).

Unfortunately these are very rarely seen or taught!

Col

5. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

Hey guys, thanks for the input.

And just another thought for you all? I know that all martial arts are complete arts and effective and blah blah blah (not looking to start a flame war ), but what do you think of the combination of Aikido and judo? You essentially have the throws from Judo and the "testing" environment in shiai, and the locks from Aikido. In essence, could this not be considered (VERY loosely) a "home-made" version of jujutsu?

Your views?

6. Freeform

Yeah, kinda but without the striking element. Also (forgive me Tintin if your reading this) you would have to understand how to blend the two together into your own fighting style.

Col

7. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

You have any experience with Aikido Freeform??

8. Freeform

Why doesn't anyone read the profiles anymore :eek:

Yeah I train under Tintin in Shodokan Aikido, check out

www10.brinkster.com/zephyr1/aikido

Colin

Last edited: Jan 30, 2003
  9. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

:) Hehehe...sorry Freeform, wasnt thinking :p

So what do you think...can a person mould Judo and Aikido together?? Or are the style's too different (with regards to stances, and approaches)?? Being fairly new to Judo, I'm a bit wary of starting Aikido as well...but realy do want to incorporate the locks into my reportoire!

10. johndoch

johndoch upurs

hey sloth,

I would say some people can and some cant merge the two styles. How will you ever know unless you try it yourself.

cheers

john

11. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

Very insightful John :) Are the styles similar enough to make learning both a possible task?

12. johndoch

johndoch upurs

hi sloth

The similarity of the styles is not important. What is important is that you enjoy your training and are dedicated to achieving your goals.

I would still say you'll never find out if you dont try and if you fail to mould the styles you will have really won anyway just by going through the learning process.

13. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

actually guys.....judo developed from jujutsu, so I can under stand what you mean when you say jujutsu has what judo lacks. It actually does.

14. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Judo - Ju Jitsu hmm...... as has already been said Judo is really a sport and Ju Jitsu is/should be self defence only. However a Judoka pulls off throws far better than a Ju Jitsu'ist sport wise(usually), BUT I THINK that it's the strikes that makes the real difference, these strikes set up all the locks-throws, used together the strikes, locks and throws are a very potent combination.